Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Shark Footage off outer banks [Re: OBXGator] #33357
05/21/04 09:37 PM
05/21/04 09:37 PM
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Abstrait Offline
Abstrait  Offline

Wrightsville Beach, NC
I have seen many a shark over the years from Pawley's Island, SC to the Outer Banks, NC. I've seen a 14ft Hammerheard off the coast of Wrightsville Beach and many a sand shark in the area. We have had some mean Bull sharks, credited with several attacks.

Several surfers and bathers have been attacked over the past four years at Wrightsville as well. We had a resident Sand Shark that lived around Mercers Pier before it was rebuilt. A 8ft TIGER Shark was caught in Banks Channel across from the Carolina Yacht Club years back (now that's a bit disconcerting). Yet, you take it for granted that sharks are around but rarely if ever even feign interest in humans.

But that footage of the Great White is truly chilling, mainly since you just dont see those beasts around. If watching that video, be sure to watch the WHOLE run, as there are several amazing shots illustrating the size of this White.

Amazing. Sharks are always about, however. Just not Great Whites!!

kh

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Shark Footage off outer banks [Re: Abstrait] #33358
05/21/04 10:14 PM
05/21/04 10:14 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Considering how much I go sailing in Wrightsville, its disturbing to find out just how much sea life is in that little inlet.

I've spent the better part of a day on a sideways dinghy clinging to the daggerboard in that inlet.

But as you say, they aren't really interested in us unless we're wearing our seal costumes.

Seal Custumes...heh [Re: MauganN20] #33359
05/22/04 04:52 AM
05/22/04 04:52 AM
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Abstrait Offline
Abstrait  Offline

Wrightsville Beach, NC
Actually, I have NEVER heard of an attack of a surfer/sailor in a wetsuit in this area, and since 99.9% of swimmers are in the summer, this is a rarity as well. You have to remember, there arent too many SEALS in ye olde Carolina waters besides the Asheboro Zoo, so a local shark would probably flee at the sight of a 6ft tall black fish... heh.

Seriously though, many of the bites of surfers have occured at Masonboro Island which is the 8 or so mile long undeveloped island due south. And if I remember correctly, almost every surfer was bitten on the arm and was wearing some sort of divers watch or ring. I know of two that had the Seiko Automatic, actually (as I do). The flashing jewelery caused more a mistake in identity. The seal thing is more a reality in places like the West Coast and South Africa.

Shark attacks are ultra rare but have been on the rise a bit in the late 90s. When surfing, I try to avoid the watch now. Still, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning... Also, remember that the last fatal shark attack in Wrightsville Beach was back in 1957 with Rupert Wade, an old loon that swam pier to pier over 150 yards out, not exactly the normal activity.

Alas, what are you doing turned over in the inlet all the time? heh... What were you on? I sail out that inlet up to five times a week so I might see you one of these days.

btw, if you are into surfing your CAT (or dingy), the swells off the south Masonboro jetty on the MAse side can be insane. Flying a hull down these swells which start about 50 yards outside the inlet is one of the more amusing things you can ever do.

Kelly

Re: Seal Custumes...heh [Re: Abstrait] #33360
05/22/04 09:00 AM
05/22/04 09:00 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is the big day -- and the last day of both the Outer Banks 500 and the Atlantic 1000. The boats will be leaving Ocracoke Island at 10:00 a.m. and rounding Cape Hatteras on their way to the final finish line at Kill Devil Hills. The leg is 83.7 miles.

For the Worrell 1000, the checkpoint on the Outer Banks was at Hatteras, but apparently most of the hotels have not yet recovered from being devastated by Hurricane Isabel last September. So this time the stopover was on Ocracoke Island.

As a result, Rick will again not be at the start this morning because he had to catch the early ferry to get over to Hatteras so he could be at Hatteras point in time to get pictures. Jon Britt, one of the Outer Banks organizers, has a four-wheel drive vehicle, and he will be taking Rick out to the point. Rick is already in the parking area at the Hatteras Lighthouse, waiting for his ride.

The Cape Hatteras rounding traditionally produces the most dramatic photographs of the race, because the boats round within yards of the beach, while running the gauntlet through the infamous "piss-ups," geysers of water that shoot up here and there, unpredictably.

It is only a short distance from Ocracoke to the Cape, which is why Rick had to catch an early ferry. After the Cape rounding, when he gets back to the motorhome, he will post a morning story on our race page and, hopefully, some pictures, before he heads to the finish at Kill Devil Hills.

Wind this morning is about 15 out of the SSW.

P.S. Last night a big storm blew through at Ocracoke, rocking the motorhome. This morning Rick went out to see if the boats were still there, but they looked fine, all still upright.

Cape/Diamond Shoals Rounding: Worrell 01 [Re: Mary] #33361
05/22/04 11:10 AM
05/22/04 11:10 AM
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Abstrait Offline
Abstrait  Offline

Wrightsville Beach, NC
Here is a refresher of the rounding from the Worrell in 01. Here you get an idea of just HOW CLOSE the boats can come to the Cape to avoid the worst of the "piss-ups" which are amazing to see. Team Lexis Nexis is about as close as one could possibly get. This is THE BEST view for the whole race as boat pass within mere FEET at times.

No extreme piss-ups in this view but they have been severe in the past. Cant wait to see Rick's pics.

[Linked Image]

Kelly

Atlantic 1000/Outer Banks 500 [Re: Mary] #33362
05/22/04 11:12 AM
05/22/04 11:12 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The boats rounded Cape Hatteras about 15 minutes ago, in this order: Toshiba, Tybee, Chesapeake, Chaos, Cat Fever.

It was a mild rounding compared to most past years, and they didn't come as close to shore as usual -- maybe because it was high tide. Some of them sailed over what has always been referred to as "the island."

Rick will have stuff on our race site soon. Catsailor Race Page

It's about another 60 miles to Kill Devil Hlils, so projected arrival about 4:00 p.m.

Last edited by Mary; 05/22/04 11:13 AM.
Re: Cape/Diamond Shoals Rounding [Re: Abstrait] #33363
05/22/04 02:48 PM
05/22/04 02:48 PM
Southern California
goncnyl Offline
stranger
goncnyl  Offline
stranger

Southern California
Kelly ,
Thanks for the flash back of us at cape.That is the only way to round the cape. It sure beats last years picture of us capsized in the cape. We love this race and are making plans to be there next year. Here is a picture of the latest ride "ROCKET 88" we will be racing long distance next week in the ditch run from San Francisco to Stockton up the delta.

Jim Korkosz
TEAM LEXISNEXIS [Linked Image]

Lexis Nexis Returns? [Re: goncnyl] #33364
05/22/04 03:51 PM
05/22/04 03:51 PM
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Abstrait Offline
Abstrait  Offline

Wrightsville Beach, NC
Jim, I have to say, that ROCKET 88 is INSANE! 34ft of power making the Inter 20 look diminutive! What a ride. Good luck - Anyone interested, check out that craft here:

http://www.sfsail.com/rocket88.htm

As for Team Lexis Nexis, I'll hold you to next year, jim! And you better be in the whole 1000!

Here are some more memories while waiting for a finish to the current Atlantic 1000... At least you are looking good 3 out of 4 shots in 02! Had to remind you of that 02 Hatteras fun...

[Linked Image]

Kelly

Re: Atlantic 1000/Outer Banks 500 [Re: Mary] #33365
05/22/04 03:53 PM
05/22/04 03:53 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I know that a boat is in (as of about 15 minutes ago) but I don't know who. Rick hasn't called back.

Re: Atlantic 1000/Outer Banks 500 [Re: Mary] #33366
05/22/04 04:12 PM
05/22/04 04:12 PM
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Abstrait Offline
Abstrait  Offline

Wrightsville Beach, NC
Man... Ole Rick loves the drama. He didnt get enough rounding the Cape, so he is adding a bit here. The sly dog. I've waited long enough (making graphics in sheer boredom). I'll check back later this eve. Time for a Sunset sail.

Re: Atlantic 1000/Outer Banks 500 [Re: Abstrait] #33367
05/22/04 04:25 PM
05/22/04 04:25 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tybee is in and Toshiba came in about 15 minutes after.

The air died at about 2:00 p.m., so it has been slow slogging since.

But before the wind died, John McLaughlin (Chesapeake)turtled his boat. Todd Hart (Cat Fever) came back to help him get it righted. So those two boats are going to be late. It is expected that Accelerated Chaos will be coming in to the beach next, but, who knows.

Brian Lambert on Team Tybee said after finishing, "You never know what is going to happen in these conditions (light air) -- an hour and a half lead can evaporate very quickly.

But obviously it did not evaporate for Team Tybee -- they have it wrapped up as winner of both the Outer Banks 500 and the Atlantic 1000.

There is a big storm over the sound that has apparently sucked up all the wind and also, apparently, is blocking the line of sight for Rick's satellite dish, so we don't know at this point whether he is going to be able to get stuff posted on our race site this evening.

Re: Atlantic 1000/Outer Banks 500 [Re: Mary] #33368
05/22/04 10:14 PM
05/22/04 10:14 PM
Georgia and Texas
Jim Stone Offline
Jim Stone  Offline

Georgia and Texas
Rick/Mary...Why the information blackout. OBX500.com said the boats were in at 7:00 p.m. but no details there either? Just Tybee first and Semp Toshiba second... Help us out, our buddies are out there.

Satellite was out until this morning! [Re: Jim Stone] #33369
05/23/04 07:18 AM
05/23/04 07:18 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Sorry about the blackout, but I tried all night to get the sat hooked up, finally made it this morning and got the results posted. Not the times, however, as I was not tracking time and I see that the Outer Banks 500 site does not have the times posted yet.
Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for watching and waiting.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 337 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022