Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: FX-One with Two [Re: brobru] #33476
05/25/04 09:37 PM
05/25/04 09:37 PM
St Croix Virgin Islands
vicatman Offline
vicatman  Offline

St Croix Virgin Islands
there is a modification table for portsmouth that has all the multipliers for spin,jib,and excess crew weight etc.,,,,

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: FX-One with Two [Re: Steven Bellavia] #33477
05/25/04 10:07 PM
05/25/04 10:07 PM
C
Canes Offline
Canes  Offline
C

Steve,

I have a rating of 68.4 with the spin up. I haven't raced with my wife yet, should be next month when it warms up, but the rating will remain the same. There is no correction for taking an extra person on. It will just allow me to have her run the chute and I can concentrate on steering.....besides I will have some great company out there too.

Harper,

Thanks for the tips. I also forgot to mention the mast rotator. I've been setting it at the shrouds and moving it back as the wind picks up. I'll try rotating more and see what happens. I did get the tuning guide and have the prebend set for lighter air and my weight.....I want more power (aarrggghhh!). I'll check the chainplate later tonight or tomorrow and see where it is. I am in about the same location as you while trapped out. I pretty much straddle the boards, but I may be just a hair more forward in "just trapping" conditions vs. "gotta trap" conditions. I'll also try letting more outhaul off and see what happens. Probably around next month, the thermal effect kicks in here and we have a consistent 18-20+ from about 6am to 10am every morning. That's what I'm looking forward to. Again, it's inland, so I won't see the waves you do.....probably why I might be a little more forward than you while trapping.

A righting question for both of you....what kind of righting system do you have. The previous owner has Rick's power righting system on there and it's....OK. I might adapt it a bit to make it better.

Thanks for all the tips, hopefully between the three of us, we'll get these boats screamin'!

Kip
Boise, ID
FX-1

Ehh, mr Canes ? [Re: Canes] #33478
05/26/04 05:16 AM
05/26/04 05:16 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

In a post of 22 may 2004 you wrote :

>>I weigh about 190lbs and have no trouble at all with righting, it comes up in no time. The person I bought it from weighed about 165 lbs and he reported little trouble righting it as well.

Only to write on 26 may 2004 you wrote

>>A righting question for both of you....what kind of righting system do you have. The previous owner has Rick's power righting system on there and it's....OK. I might adapt it a bit to make it better.

How do you square these two comments ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: FX-One with Two [Re: Canes] #33479
05/26/04 03:48 PM
05/26/04 03:48 PM
St Croix Virgin Islands
vicatman Offline
vicatman  Offline

St Croix Virgin Islands
hey Kip...just keep at it and you'll get it figured out,,,,keep the outhaul tight when the wind gets big....at 225lbs I dont have much problem with righting the boat,,,only one time did I have any problem,,,wind was real light and I just couldnt get my balance on the daggerboard....other than that one time I've had no problem

Re: Ehh, mr Canes ? [Re: Wouter] #33480
05/26/04 10:36 PM
05/26/04 10:36 PM
C
Canes Offline
Canes  Offline
C

Well mr Wouter, in order to square the comments, I would add all the words up and multiply it by itself. That would mean those comments are then squared.

If you are really asking for further insight into the comments....let me explain. When I bought the boat, the owner stated he was 165 (and visually this seems about right). He stated he could right it with the pole, I believed him and felt no need for a demonstration of this ability. I have capsized twice. The first time, it came up easily.....hence the first comment. I had a race this past weekend and in between races, was messing around with various items and went over again. This time, it was a little tougher and I did some on-water adjustments to make it right a little easier. My assessment is that Rick's righting pole on this boat is....OK. It works, but I was inquiring to others with the same boat to find out what they use. I may adapt the pole system or may go with a new system entirely depending on others' experience. I hope this explanation meets your questions.

Kip
Boise, ID
FX-1

Re: Ehh, mr Canes ? [Re: Canes] #33481
05/27/04 03:52 AM
05/27/04 03:52 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Kip,

Let me explain my background with the FX.

During a week of daily sailing with 2 FX-ones (shed opened at 10:00 a.m. and closed at 6:30 PM) we had a competion going who could get the FX-one righted as it came standard from the factory. Meaning no extra righting aids; just the righting line and the common righting procedure. Any tricks like swimming the bows over, using the mainsail etc were allowed. The conditions varied greatly from time to time, From no wind to absolute howling winds. Only one every managed to right the boat like that and that was because he got really lucky. He flipped the boat to windward in a lull (unintentionally by the way) in very gusty conditions. He saw the potential and dove under the leeward hull to pop up hitting his head on the daggerboard. Climbed on the boat as his life depended on it grapped the righting line and throw it over the upper hull while the boat was speeding up on its side and rotating with its mast to lee. Gust came and he hung on the the rigting line. Gust hit the trampoline and the mainsail when the mast was a little over 45 degrees of the wind and righted here with some effort. He never could repeat this manouvre and he tried, nor could anyone else who tried that week or in later weeks (as most of us came back at later times). We were all around 185 lbs. The safety crews of the spot (halve of them been doing that as long as the FX was there = about 2 years then) reported that our winner was one of the very very few to ever righted that boat. It was a standard reaction of them to rev up the safety boat to aid in righting. As a matter of fact the did that on the time of succesful righting as well a little amazed that they were not needed.

Of course I understand that all kinds of rigting aids can be had to allow the sailor to right the boat ; water bags, garies solo right, Bills supercat Pole idea etc. But one can forget about it when using the standard setup and I know I tried quite a few times and was the only one to have succeeded at it, only once.

Hence my comments and my question how you square your comments (good joke by the way).

I see that the answer to my question is that both you and the former owner are using an aftermarket righting aid.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Ehh, mr Canes ? [Re: Wouter] #33482
05/27/04 01:16 PM
05/27/04 01:16 PM
Scotland
George_Malloch Offline
George_Malloch  Offline

Scotland
I managed to right it unaided (same place, same boat I think Wouter). The first time anyway. Pretty sure I'd have managed it the second time too but the safety boat insisted on helping (it was a bit breezy and they had a few other customers waiting ) I might just be a bit more than 185 though....

Stealth www.peyc.org.uk
Re: Ehh, mr Canes ? [Re: George_Malloch] #33483
05/28/04 03:05 PM
05/28/04 03:05 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

He George,

Than you are the true winner of our little competition.

Really cool place that Wildwind isn;t it.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 724 guests, and 115 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022