Hop To
tuning guide to Nacra F18 #33999
06/02/04 09:33 AM
06/02/04 09:33 AM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
On the UK Formula 18 website, they have a downloadable guide to rigging the Nacra F18. I was reading it and much of it makes sense to this novice. However, I sure can't figure out how to use their instructions for mast rake. It states, 'take the forward trapeze and add a short piece of line, then stretch tight down to bridle fastening to hull'. The intructions go on from there. I am having a hard time visualizing where to attach the line (to the thimble and do you untie the trapeze hook?).

I also got a bit confused on setting the rigging tension by having '70 to 80 kgs pulling back towards the stern and being able to rotate the shroud , by hand, 45 degrees'(as an indication of slack).

It appears this is a well conceived guide that I would like to use as a reference. I emailed the website but did not receive a response to my query. Can anyone help me with interpreting the authors instructions for setting mast rake and rig tension (or how y'all set your rig tension and mast rake)?

Thank you again.

bob
Inter 18 novice

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: tuning guide to Nacra F18 [Re: Bob Klein] #34000
06/02/04 02:57 PM
06/02/04 02:57 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Just tie a piece of line to anything as long as that anything is part of the trapeze line. With this extra line you can pull the trapeze line to the bridle fastening on your hull. Then slide down your thumb to the fasteners while keeping the trapeze wires and line tight. Hold this position when you walk back to a given point on the rear of the hull. Move you thumb over the hull till the line is tight again. This is often near to rear beam. The distance measured between this point and teh rearbeam is a measurement of rake that is often used to determine the optimal setting of mast rake.

70 to 80 kg is the weight of a normal sized adult person. So just hang on the trapeze line from the stern and have your crew check the mast rotation.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 551 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022