06/17/04 10:05 AM
06/17/04 10:05 AM
beaufort, sc
dannyb9 Offline OP
enthusiast
dannyb9  Offline OP
enthusiast

beaufort, sc
my h14turbo blew the jib out so i de-raked the mast and now sail it 'classic' style. fun! i like the simplicity. now i am wondering if i can do the same with my 16- de-rake the mast and sail it singlehanded with mainsail only. has anybody tried it? will it tack is the main question.

marsh hawk
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: h16 uni? [Re: dannyb9] #34476
06/17/04 11:13 AM
06/17/04 11:13 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
The guy I used to crew for on H16`s once sailed the boat solo from one cat club to another on the dam we used to sail on, about a 42km (26 mile)return trip. I do remember that he did battle to tack, but managed. We were following him on my boat to make sure he had assistance in the event of a capsize. He did go over, and managed to right it by himself. I reckon he weighed 85kg at the time (187lbs). He used the jib halyard to rake the mast more upright, and the boat handled fine. From a safety perspective, it was on an inland lake & he had us as a backup to either assist or report his position if things got tricky.
Like sailing anything solo, take the necessary safety precautions, let someone know your intended route, or have a buddy sail alongside for backup.

P.S :The same guy won the single-handed race round the island on the same dam a few years later on a Hobie Tiger, and it was blowin` !!

Cheers
Steve

Re: h16 uni? [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #34477
06/17/04 08:07 PM
06/17/04 08:07 PM
Hong Kong
schobiedoo Offline
journeyman
schobiedoo  Offline
journeyman

Hong Kong
I sail my H16 solo quite often, and normally sail with the jib unless the conditions are particulaly bad. Fortunately for me, our club has safety boat cover so if I go over and can't get it back upright, I know there's someone to help out if needed. Also I make sure that I know I will be OK in the event of a capsize, so I make sure that I'm reasonably close to our safety cover.

It's substantially more difficult to get the boat back upright after a capsize with only one person, so I suggest that to make sure you would be OK, before sailing off into the blue yonder, you do a trial capsize near the shore where there is help and see if you can right the boat yourself. If you can't then don't go out solo!

If I sail unirig, then I use a loop of rope as an extension and using the jib halyard, tension up as normal. This at least keeps you pointing a bit higher. This also makes sure that there is sufficient tension in the system so that the mast is not banging around.

If you can sail a 14 and tack, then you can sail a 16 and tack. It's just remembering the basics.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 126 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022