Hop To
Let's get the ball rolling for next season #3468
10/31/01 02:49 PM
10/31/01 02:49 PM
California
Sailing Pro Shop Offline OP
Sailing Pro Shop  Offline OP

California
It's easy to complain. It's hard to come up with effective solutions to the difficult problem of how to get people back on the water sailing catamarans.
<br>
<br>I have called both Jack Young who runs Performance Catamarans and Doug Skidmore with Hobie Cat USA and suggested the following:
<br>
<br>It's time that the industry take a proactive stance with regard to acquiring or assisting the acquisition of beach properties beginning with the larger population centers where the companies would have the most to gain and moving outward in due time and as success with the program allows.
<br>
<br>This will require the interaction of the company's attorney with a PR company who can put together a package of why catamaran sailing is good for the area's local economy with a particular emphasis on tourism. Here in the Long Beach harbor area catamarans used to abound and the harbor actually looked pretty with the colorful sails dotting the beach and the water. Most post cards of this area spotlight these colorful boats.
<br>
<br>In a time when domestic travel will be on the increase and filling hotel rooms and restaurants will improve the ever diminishing tax base we need to take this opportunity to put the pressure on the local municipalities and state parks systems to once again allow the use and storage of these craft within their systems.
<br>
<br>I would encourage you all to write to the various builders and let them know if you might be able to assist in this concept on your local level. This is a political football and it will help if the right people in various city councils are corresponded with and properly massaged.
<br>
<br>All of these concepts take time and effort. Let's get the ball rolling now in advance of next season!
<br>
<br>To write to Performance catamarans and make useful suggestions:
<br>
<br>jack@performancecats.com
<br>
<br>To write to Hobie Cat and make useful suggestions:
<br>
<br>info@hobieco.com
<br>
<br>or you can write to me at:
<br>
<br>sailingproshop@aol.com
<br>
<br>Your thoughts and replies on the subject are welcomed
<br>
<br>Mark Michaelsen
<br>http://www.sailingproshop.com<br><br>Mark Michaelsen
<br>www.sailingproshop.com
<br>(800) 354-7245

Mark Michaelsen http://www.sailingproshop.com (800) 354-7245
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season [Re: Sailing Pro Shop] #3469
10/31/01 03:47 PM
10/31/01 03:47 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
right-on Mark!<br><br>[color:blue][b]Jake
<br>[color:blue][b]Nacra 5.2 (2112)
<br>[color:blue][b]Hobie 18 (???)

Attached Files
3453- (13 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season [Re: Jake] #3470
10/31/01 04:11 PM
10/31/01 04:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mark:
<br>
<br>I wish Hobie could help. I spent a LOT of money rebuilding a Hobie 17 to race in http://www.ghg.net/clra/ races, BUT there is no place to launch. The had 24 Wed night races.
<br>
<br>Doug Snell
<br>H17 #6325
<br>"Strress Free"<br><br>

Attached Files
3455- (12 downloads)
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season #3471
10/31/01 04:26 PM
10/31/01 04:26 PM
California

California
How do the local dinghies get into the water? We sling all of the boats into the water here in Redondo Beach. It's easy.
<br>
<br>MM<br><br>Mark Michaelsen
<br>(800) 354-7245

Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season [Re: Sailing Pro Shop] #3472
10/31/01 05:48 PM
10/31/01 05:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mark:
<br>
<br>They use a ramp, BUT it is very hard single handed if the wind is not just right. Have a long narrow area to get to the lake. fi we had a small beach a a lot of cats would race. Instead we have to go to
<br>
<br>http://www.catsailors.com/texas_city_dike.htm
<br>
<br>These races get a lot of publisity and live web coverage. Please relay info to Hobie, link didn't work. Landry's spent over $20 mil on there borad walk area and we are the 4th (I think) largest marina area in nation.
<br>
<br>Doug Snell
<br>H17 Sport #6325
<br>"Stress Free"
<br>281-332-2043<br><br>

Attached Files
3461- (12 downloads)
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season #3473
10/31/01 06:00 PM
10/31/01 06:00 PM
California

California
Okay, so what would it cost to put in 20,000 cubic yards of sand? We need to also determine if there is a way to restrain the sand from movement and whether or not there is an area that would support this without hurting property values or endangering some species of animal while generating a commercial revenue for the city, county or state.
<br>
<br>MM<br><br>Mark Michaelsen
<br>(800) 354-7245

Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season [Re: Sailing Pro Shop] #3474
10/31/01 06:41 PM
10/31/01 06:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mark:
<br>
<br>I am VERY green at this. Local Hobie Dealer has lake front proerty and has talked about his. Just know money to do it. I just know it would be a BIG boost to cat sales and helping rebuild the fleet. We are trying to get a youth program. I am training my grand daugher to crew for me.
<br>
<br>Doug Snell
<br>H17 Sport #6325
<br>"Stress Free"
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3467- (12 downloads)
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season [Re: Sailing Pro Shop] #3475
10/31/01 06:44 PM
10/31/01 06:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mark:
<br>
<br>I am VERY green at this. Local Hobie Dealer has lake front proerty and we talked about this. Just no money to do it. Core of Enginners survery and all. I just know it would be a BIG boost to cat sales and helping rebuild the fleet. We are trying to get a youth program. I am training my grand daugher to crew for me.
<br>
<br>Doug Snell
<br>H17 Sport #6325
<br>"Stress Free"
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3468- (11 downloads)
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season #3476
10/31/01 07:57 PM
10/31/01 07:57 PM
J
Jacques Offline
journeyman
Jacques  Offline
journeyman
J

I do not get it.
<br>US is one of the biggest country in the world and you are all complaining about space!! I think this is a matter of managing the shore. In France granted public access to the sea is a rule, more than that, a way of life. You can launch everywhere without paying any fee.
<br>This is a first point.
<br>Then, when we talk about sailing clubs in France, we are talking about fleets of 200 cats or more (i.e Yacht clubs of Carnac, Hyeres, La grande Motte ...). And look of the number of international events occuring there.
<br>The big difference is that the cities are smart enough to understand that these clubs are big assets: they drain customers and make a lot for the reputation of the town. If I compare to my place (Atlantic Highlands, 40 mn from NY by ferry), members of the city council do not even know that we exist, they just take the money we pay for the beach concession, that's it (and we are just happy to have it renewed). We have 120 boats on the beach, people are coming from all over around NY, Pennsylvania, Connecticut to sail on the season week ends and THERE IS NOT EVEN AN HOTEL IN TOWN TO ACCOMODE THEM, they have to camp on the beach or go to a nasty hotel on the 36 highway.
<br>I am trying at my level to make them understand that (my neighbours are in the city council), bringing their kids sailing with me sometimes, talking with them, but I am afraid that this is not enough.
<br>Honestly there is something I do not understand, everybody is talking money, costs, but sometimes it looks to me that this is just a question of good sense.
<br>Promoting sailing in front of NY with a perfect place to sail looks like a good plan to me.
<br>If somebody knows the place and have some thoughts he will be welcome to tell me what is wrong.<br><br>

Attached Files
3472- (11 downloads)
Re: Let's get the ball rolling for next season #3477
11/01/01 04:58 PM
11/01/01 04:58 PM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
Hi Doug,
<br>
<br>Charlie launches his A at the same place where Carl launches his Tornado and where Doug launches his Nacra 6.0. It's not terribly ugly for a smaller boat to launch there.
<br>
<br>I'm talking about Gulf Coast Sailing Center. For $45/mo you can keep your boat there, stick up. Call 281.334.5505 and ask for Sharon (I think that's her name). They also have another launch/storage area on the Bay, just below Kemah. It's really nicer and you don't have to deal with the boat traffic on Clear Lake. You could keep your boat there on the lake during the racing season and then move it to the bay location otherwise.
<br>
<br>I know, neither option is nice like a beach, but it's all we seem to have.
<br>
<br>sea ya!
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3513- (12 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 402 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022