07/05/04 11:28 PM
07/05/04 11:28 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
I'd like to build an ez-step type of setup for my Prindle 18 (which steps the mast turned sideways) so that I can setup solo. I've never examined a mast step in person, but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like it would be terribly difficult to make one. Is anyone aware of a do-it-yourself set of plans, etc.? I thought it would be pretty easy to find on the net, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks,
Kevin
Largo, FL

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: papayamon2] #35111
07/06/04 07:08 AM
07/06/04 07:08 AM
Québec, Canada
CharlesLeblanc Offline
journeyman
CharlesLeblanc  Offline
journeyman

Québec, Canada
Aquarius Sail has some picture of a system.

I was already drooling at their boat, the Ez-Step system is also very good.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com/images/arc22/ginpole1.html

I tried to build one for my Nacra 5.7 captive system but it was difficult to secure a pole or a hinge to the mast base.

I am planning to use a smaller mast on my Nacra 5.2 and use the vertical pull system. For the vertical puill system, you need a light and short mast. I think that 26' would be fairly long for it. A Prindle16 mast might work but it would be difficult. I am using a 25' mast with a finer cross section and it is pretty light and manageable. You attach all of the stays very loose and raise the mast on a pad on the ground just un front of the front crossbar. You then climb on the tramp, lift the mast vertical and place it on the mast on the ball (or cup) Then you simply let it go. The stays will hold it vertical at an small angle. After you simply tighten the stays back to normal. It is a technique that I have seen described for a H14 and it is limityed to very light and short masts. Believe me, I tried on my 28' Nacra 5.2 mast and it is beyond my strenght. This method is also very dangerous on windy days and you should make sure that nobody and nothing is within a 30' radius because sooner or later you will drop the mast.

To built an easy-step yourself, you should follow the following steps. I never built one myself so it is only an indication.
You need to have a secure pivot or a hinge point at the mast base between the mast base and the cup, for a mast raised sideways, you need to be able to lock the rotation of the mast. You will need a craddle to support the back of the mast at a certain angle and you will need to have a second set of sidestay attached on the front crossbeam to keed the mast from falling sideways (trapeze wires are often used).
Pulling the mast usually requires a winch or a set of pulleys with cleat. You should be able to lock the mast in place while raising it in case of an emergency of a problem like sidestays stuck on the rudder bar,
Once the mast is raised, attach the front stay, check that the sidestays are attached properly, tension your rig and you are set.

Charles Leblanc Nacra 5.2 #26
Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: papayamon2] #35112
07/06/04 02:02 PM
07/06/04 02:02 PM
Maryland, USA
PRagen Offline
journeyman
PRagen  Offline
journeyman

Maryland, USA
It is not hard to make your own, but could take some time to get it adjusted. I made one for occasional use with my boat. A picture or two would help but I don't have any, so I made a rough drawing which I linked below.

[Linked Image]

I mounted a winch on the vertical pole on the forward part of the trailer that holds up the mast when trailering. (The winch makes getting the mast up much easier even if not using the self raising system.)

I made a pole out of a 2x4. (yellow on drawing) At the "bottom" of the 2x4, I cut a half circle section of thick 4" PVC pipe about 6 inches long, and screwed that onto the bottom of the 2x4 (green on drawing). That attaches to the bottom of the mast, partially circling around the mast, as low as I can get it. I use some shock cord to attach it.

From near the top of the pole, I have 3 lines running out (red on drawing), just tied into holes I drilled in the 2x4. One leads to the mast, about 8 foot from the bottom, and is wrapped and tied around to hold it. About 8 foot because that is as high as I can reach to untie it once up.

The other two lines lead to each side to prevent to 2x4 pole from falling sideways. These you need to attach somewhere near the ends of the forward beam.

You also must stabilize the mast from moving side to side. I use the trapeze wires for this (blue on drawing), plus some extra line to extend them to a tie down point, again at or near the ends of the front beam (red on drawing). Actually, in my setup, I use the same line that came down from the 2x4 pole.

The line from the trailer winch, leads up to the top of the 2x4, where I tie it off.

I also made a tripod to set to behind the rear of the boat to hold the mast up prior to raising. (Green lines in drawing) This is helpful to hold it while I position the mast and attach the mast to the ball. It is just 3 pieces of small (1 to 1.5 inch?) PVC pipe, 8 or 10 feet long, with some rope running through holes drilled about 2 feet from the top, to hold it together. The mast just sets in one of the "V"'s created by the PVC tops. If raising on pavement, you might need some rope to stop the bottoms from spreading out, but they stay fine in grass or sand.

One hard part is getting all the line lengths correct, then marked so you can more quickly repeat the process.

To use the system is just a matter of hooking everything up and cranking the winch. Then attach the front stay and undo everything. It is not hard, but can take some time, so I only use this when I can't find anyone to help.

Note: on my Nacra, the mast must be sideways to raise/lower it. When first trying the system, I did not get it sideways when lowering and the mast base and pin was pulling right off the ball. There is a lot of force on the lines and mast. By tightly and correctly wrapping the rope to the mast, you can keep the mast sideways.

Attached Files

Patrick Ragen
Taipan 4.9 USA 274
Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: PRagen] #35113
07/06/04 02:16 PM
07/06/04 02:16 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
Patrick,
Thanks for the line drawing--that pretty much explains the system as I understood it, which is good. How long, exactly, did you make the 2x4 pole?

Kevin

Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: papayamon2] #35114
07/06/04 05:30 PM
07/06/04 05:30 PM
Colorado
SteveT Offline
enthusiast
SteveT  Offline
enthusiast

Colorado
Another way is to mount the pole - with a roller on top - to the trailer and run the winch line over the roller and to the main halyard. With the mast rotated, it's going to want to pull to one side. On my H-20 I used safety lines (tie down hooks) attached to the crew trapeeze, then to the forward cross bar to keep the mast from pulling to one side or the other. I've found the safety lines are great even when you're stepping it with help. It's one less direction the mast can go, making it easier to control. Check out the Hobie catelog or Murrays for a picture of how it works. They charge about $180 but you can make one for much less.

H-20 #896
Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: papayamon2] #35115
07/06/04 05:44 PM
07/06/04 05:44 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
I have the EZ Step for my P-18. On the whole, it works very well and was worth the price. Note: since the mast goes up sideways, you are going to have some issues when you get it upright. The captive pin at the base will tend to bend or will be tough to remove under pressure.

To solve this, I got a solution from someone. I attached a piece of line up near the hounds on the side of the mast that would normally be facing up when preparing to raise the mast. The line gets attached to whatever you are using as the gin pole, essentially allowing the mast to come up on its side as normal without twisting. Once upright, it will be easier to remove the pin, plus you also have the forestay available for attachment to the bridles.

Sheldon
P-18

Re: do-it-yourself ezstep? [Re: papayamon2] #35116
07/07/04 12:34 PM
07/07/04 12:34 PM
Maryland, USA
PRagen Offline
journeyman
PRagen  Offline
journeyman

Maryland, USA
Re: "How long, exactly, did you make the 2x4 pole?" ... for the home made mast self raising system.

It is a standard 8" 2x4. The attachment point on mine is about a foot from the end. You probably want it fairly far out to get more "lever" moment. On my setup the rope attaches about 7 foot out, and is in a straight line from the winch to the attachment point up the mast. IE, when building it, I tied the winch line to the point on the upright mast where I tie the winch line, then partially mounted the 2x4 and marked the attachment point where the line crossed the 2x4 "pole".

I recall now also that my "pole" is not directly perpendicular to the mast. It is tilted slightly higher to avoid the bridal "foil" on my Nacra.

Patrick Ragen
Taipan 4.9 USA 274

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022