07/15/04 11:58 AM
07/15/04 11:58 AM
San Francisco
TSurfer Offline OP
journeyman
TSurfer  Offline OP
journeyman

San Francisco
The gel coat on one of my daggerboards is worn away in many areas.
What's the best method for re-finishing this type of thing?
The board's in good shape other than a few nics and scratches which I've filled with Marine-Tex.

I imagine the same thing would apply for hulls and rudders?

Thanks in advance.

Tim S. Urfer 1984 Nacra 5.2
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: TSurfer] #35531
07/15/04 12:22 PM
07/15/04 12:22 PM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
The best way to do gelcoat is to spray it on. I have a theory that you can so this with on of those wagner sprayers from home depot, I just haven't had the motivation to try and re-do my hulls yet. You can use a paint rooller to apply. You can apply it thick and then use emmery paper to get that glos finish, just like working wiht laquers on wood.

Josh Fint Prindle 19 "Accident Prone" Moro Bay Sailing
Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: TSurfer] #35532
07/15/04 12:37 PM
07/15/04 12:37 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
you can spray gel coat but then you have to spray some sort of sealer in order to get it to cure or take your chances with the kind that has a wax in it that rises to the surface to seal it from air (gelcoat will not cure while in contact with air).

Get a good paint - it won't be as thick but will definitely be much easier to apply.

Jake Kohl
Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: Jake] #35533
07/15/04 12:41 PM
07/15/04 12:41 PM
San Francisco
TSurfer Offline OP
journeyman
TSurfer  Offline OP
journeyman

San Francisco
I like the paint idea. Any types you can recommend?
Spray or brush?

Gel coat seems to be a bit of a hassle to say the least from what I've read.

Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: TSurfer] #35534
07/15/04 04:00 PM
07/15/04 04:00 PM
dickcnacra52 Offline
dickcnacra52  Offline

Tim - the one other cat sailor in our club has a 1 year old FX 1 and had a crack come up on the spinnaker snuffer or whatever they call that thing. His guidance was to use some Krylon matching color paint after redoing the fiberglass part. I'm donating the glass to him this weekend, and then he will try the Krylon trick. If it works out I'll let you know, as I have some hull redoing to work on also. It's not a gelcoat problem, but the fiberglass patches I put on over the old time holes and to get it all looking nicer I'm going to try like Jake says, some paint first. I've also been told that if you just stand back farther from the hull it looks lots better - a 25' finish I believe it is called!

Dick

Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: dickcnacra52] #35535
07/15/04 04:26 PM
07/15/04 04:26 PM
San Francisco
TSurfer Offline OP
journeyman
TSurfer  Offline OP
journeyman

San Francisco
Dick,

Krylon? OK. I was thinking more along the lines of Z-Spar but hey, if it works, great, let me know.
The hulls would be a big project. Luckly mine are pretty solid and the 25' finish looks just fine.
My starboard daggerboard is another matter though.

Re: Re-finishing hulls, rudders, daggerboards [Re: jfint] #35536
07/15/04 09:30 PM
07/15/04 09:30 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Gelcoat is not sprayed with conventional paint spraying equipment. If you plan on using a Wagner you better get it right the first time...Plan on either throwing it away after the first batch kicks off in the gun...or working very fast and getting it all cleaned out before it kicks...easier said then done...

One other thing, except for the top of the line model (and I doubt if that one would either) they won't be able to handle a liquid as thick as gelcoat. As you are cussing the Wagner trying to get it to shoot the too viscous liquid, the precious working time will be tick...tick...ticking away (play the jeopardy song here). Don Pardo tell him what he has won... I am sorry, you lost the daily double in the spray gelcoat catagory...but you get to keep the locked up Wagner for your parting gift.LOL...Please don't try this at home...

Wax mixed in gelcoat is nothing mystical...it is done every day, when ever gelcoat is used on an exposed surface (that is, exposed to the air, not under a laminate in a female mold).

Spray paint...if you go that route check out what Sherwin Williams has to offer. A much better paint and the fan spray tip is the next best thing to a pro touch up gun. I did an Johnson outboard with their paint and it looks as good as factory. Probably the best tip on a can of spray paint you will find anywhere...pick up one of those snap on trigger handles while you are at it and it will make it even beter. Krylon spray paint has cheap, round pattern spray tips that helps to produce those dreaded runs...

Regards,
Bob

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 579 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022