11/09/01 04:28 PM
11/09/01 04:28 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline OP
old hand
sail6000  Offline OP
old hand

MI
For the ultimate in performance, nothing compares with the NACRA 6.0na.
<br>
<br>This twenty foot pure performance machine boasts:
<br>
<br>The number one racing catamaran in the 20 foot range
<br>High-tech bow foil system
<br>Utilizes features of the successful Nacra 5.8na
<br>Over 250 square feet of sail area
<br>An 8'6" beam
<br>If you want the biggest, fastest, the ultimate, the NACRA 6.0na is just what you've been looking for.
<br>
<br>All the speed of the 6.0na is made manageable through innovative control systems and quality Harken fittings throughout.
<br>
<br>The fully battened mylar mainsail features a boomless sailplan with a unique clew traveler system providing a powerful yet controllable boat.
<br>
<br>No other manufacturer offers anything like it.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> Length: 20' (6.10m)
<br>Width: 8'6" (2.59m)
<br>Drafts:
<br>Boards Up: 5" (12.7cm)
<br>Boards Down: 38" (96.5 cm)
<br>Sail Area: 264 sq. ft. (24.5m2)
<br>Weight: 420 lbs. (191 kg)
<br>Mast Length: 31'7" (9.63m)
<br>
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3705- (386 downloads)
--Advertisement--
Nacra surplus in sailarea is completely in jibsize [Re: sail6000] #3670
11/10/01 10:44 AM
11/10/01 10:44 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
The surplus of the Nacra 6.0 sailarea is completely caused by the large jib. According to Texel the mainsail is
<br>
<br>17,46 sq. mtr. which is 18- 17,46 = 0,54 sq.mtr. smaller than allowed under iF20 rules
<br>
<br>It's jib is 6,23 and much larger than the 4,85 allowed under iF20. However, you probably lose the excess anyway when you want to sheet the jib from the forebeam or make the jib selftacking.
<br>
<br>What surprises me too, is that everybody claims that the I-20 needs the extra sailarea in (Lighter ?) US conditions, but the Nacra 6.0 has less mainsail area than the iF20 and nobody claims that this boat is under powered for US conditions.
<br>
<br>On the contrary , N6.0 is by many still considered the best boat on the US market.
<br>
<br> Will you be punished hard for reducing the jib area ? Well, not in costs that for sure and when you add a genaker than the negative effect of downsizing will be more than corrected by the addition of a genaker.
<br>
<br>So this modified N6.0 will get a performance boost under the original iF20 rules.
<br>
<br>One side note. In the US the nacra's sail with a slap under the lower sailbatten. This one is often removed in the EU for it is counted in the total sailarea and measured lufflength but it hardly contributes to the produced sailpower. Read Frank Bethwaites book on why this is, you can trust me on this one. So I say just dispensate this flap on the N6.0. Besides the N6.0 is also a little heavier than the min iF20 weigh, so it is not that it gets an unfair advantage of any sort.
<br>
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3735- (251 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Be Carefull with your quoted sail areas [Re: Wouter] #3671
11/11/01 05:45 PM
11/11/01 05:45 PM
Connecticut
Eric Anderson Offline
Eric Anderson  Offline

Connecticut
The US NACRA 6.0NA, which is what we sail, has about 10% larger a Mainsail then the European 6.0s. The US masts also sport a double diamond wire arangment not found in Europe. A stock Nacra 6.0 NA rates 97 Texel without a spinnaker. This from measuments by Peter Vink at the 2001 Curacao Regatta. With small jibs and no spinnakers, we rated 99. US inter 20's rated 94.
<br>Eric
<br><br><br>

Re: Be Carefull with your quoted sail areas [Re: Eric Anderson] #3672
11/12/01 07:28 AM
11/12/01 07:28 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Okay so the NA rig is the same as the Texel N6,0 SE (Special edition ?) The numbers match.
<br>
<br>Under texel 2002 this NA N6.0 with spi is rated at 95 while the EU iF20 is rated at 96. Seems to be an acceptable performance difference. 1 % is not that much on the race course. And ofcourse a smaller jib can rated the N6.0 back to 96. Under texel the NA was measured with a 5.5 sq. mtr., jib
<br>
<br>Thanks for the correction though.
<br>
<br>Carl, for you (because I know you understand rated sailarea) The rated main sailarea for the NA rig is 17,09 sq.mtr. (iF20 = 16 sq. mtr) So the 19,43 actual area with respect to 18 of iF20 which has 9 % more area is decrease to 7 % effective area due to the fact that both rigs have about the same lufflengths and mast height. I'm sure however that in light air the squaretop of the iF20 class provides about as much sailpower as the pinhead of a N6.0
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3765- (222 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: sail areas [Re: Eric Anderson] #3673
11/12/01 11:31 AM
11/12/01 11:31 AM
MI
sail6000 Offline OP
old hand
sail6000  Offline OP
old hand

MI
Hello Eric -thanks for the info also Wouter ,-hope many others will begin to post and add their ideas concerns concepts , and their experiences on particular types of 20s .
<br>
<br>-Could you post the current specs on the East Coast 6/0 s -
<br>
<br> Spin size ,-pole length ,-smaller jib size if used ,-etc .-we should find the ISAF or Texel rating # -
<br> With the many different versions of the N-60 -4 OR 5 in the
<br> U S alone plus differences in Euro. along with other numerous variations of other 20s plus weight difference evan in one mfg.boat from year to year ,we begin to understand the need for a more open F rating system in this class where we simply set an ideal max and allow upgrades to that ideal.
<br>
<br>-
<br>
<br>-The racing has to be about PEOPLE first ,-including ,accomodating and encouraging as many as possible to enjoy the sport .
<br> My experience with the 6/0 was racing it for about a year and a half including the 98 and 99 Worrell 1000 s -Some of the 6/0s had some very interesting modifications and were beautifully set up .
<br>-Beyond the ISAF/Texel rating max we have to deside on and establish more specific class rules on minor design variables -
<br> If this max rating number is established at slightly faster total than the current to allow all existing 20s a minor upgrade modification such as the option of a larger spin -{again all equal within a max. rating }-this may be the correct way to proceed,rather than endless specification and special modification exemption to each existing 20 .
<br>
<br>-My ideal N-6/0 under the new 20 Design F Class would be some lighter hulls {-accomplished through refinishing }--canted platform ,{reset beam connections }--lighter higher aspect larger rudders {-Arc type for getting out thru surf },--more mast rake --{shared lift concept } --carbon mast ,--sq top main ,--self tacking jib ,-good high aspect chute w snuffer like the Tornados use.-special tramp with modifications for distance racing ,-
<br>-Turn me loose in one of the future Worrell 1000 s with F-20 rules.-yeeeehawww!!
<br>
<br>-Funny side story -
<br> I got away from cat racing after racing in Prosail {H-21 s } and the Ultimate Yacht Racing series in 88 ---Had not touched a cat in almost 10 years and somehow heard the Worrell had started back up again ,soooo --of course desided to go race it ,--We got to sail the 6/0 once ,-basically just learned how to set it up ,-we added the chute ,{nice large Smyth one }-and found myself on the starting line in Ft Lauderdale on a completely strange cat ,-not having raced in 9 years , in one of the most brutal weather and sea condition Worrell 1000 s ever .--It was a great welcome back into the sport , but I,ve been hooked on the race since and have improved a little each year ,--David and I are planning the 02 race again ,--Wish us luck .
<br>- Enjoying ocean type racing and being a distance race enthusiast the last thing I would want to see occur is fragile 20s evolve due to this new class . Do not believe boat weight necessarily means strength ,-but the question of how to address this is a major concern ,-
<br>-Min, recommended 20 scantlings -{specs of strength requirements } is one suggestion ,-enforcement would be difficult ,--If any have suggestions please post --
<br>
<br>-Thanks -
<br> Carl Roberts<br><br>

Attached Files
3774- (255 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 409 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022