11/11/01 01:31 AM
11/11/01 01:31 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

What is the correct sidestay tension for a Hobie 16 and how do I measure that tension?
<br>Beig 200 miles from the nearest fleet I cannot compare to other hobies. I have shortened the stays as per pother discussions here but my performance suffered. I returned to 3 holes up, as originally set up when I got the boat. We seemed to sail faster but could not point.
<br>
<br>Any help greatfully accepted.<br><br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sidestay Tension #3721
11/11/01 07:30 AM
11/11/01 07:30 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
This is a good question, and it sounds like you are having the same problems as myself. I have been experimenting with sidestay tension. I am not using an aussie haliard system, so we may have different rigs. I think that I do better with lots of tension on my rigging. It keeps the mast more verticle; when you heel, you mast/sails changes verticle entry angles to the wind. The books say run your rigging looser in light and heavy winds. I read a discussion on one of those mono-hull sights, and they recommend between 5 and 10 percent of breaking strenght. Which is around 200 lbs. Automotive parts stores can get a belt tension guage, that I think one could use to guage wire tension. I have a couple of these guages, and next spring plan on using it on my wires to see how it works.
<br>
<br>Last summer, I believe that the looser my rig was the worse my boat seemed to point. My next mission is to look at mast rotation. I wish the A Fleeters would help us out on these things, but guess information is classified. I have several books, but none of them are very definative; they leave you guessing, just like before.
<br>
<br>The only time that I have ever been able to point very well is when the winds are screaming. I think the combination of an old boat and heavy weight kills one's ability to point on a 16. <br><br>

NOT CLASSIFIED!!! [Re: Hobie Dave] #3722
11/12/01 09:18 AM
11/12/01 09:18 AM
Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
T
Tom Korz Offline
addict
Tom Korz  Offline
addict
T

Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
Hey Guys,
<br>
<br>This was discussed in depth a while ago. You'll have to forgive my primitive use of the links, but this is the only way I can tell you where to look.
<br>
<br>(url)http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Hobie16&Number=2559&page=&view=&sb=&o=(/url)
<br>
<br>and
<br>
<br>(url)http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Hobie16&Number=452&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=deq204&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=310(url/)
<br>
<br>These threads have a lot of excellent info on the ballpark set up of the H 16.
<br>
<br>If this doesn't work let me know and I'll try to get the info to you.
<br>
<br>Point higher & foot faster!!<br><br>

Attached Files
Re: NOT CLASSIFIED!!! [Re: Tom Korz] #3723
11/23/01 08:22 PM
11/23/01 08:22 PM
heavyair14 Offline
heavyair14  Offline

I found a basic article on Hobie 16 written by Hobie 16 world champions Gwenael Roth and Thierry Monfret. However I don't remember where I found it so I'll give their information on shroud tension here.
<br>
<br>all numbers are counting up from base hole
<br>
<br>hole 5 in less than 10 konts of wind for flat water and 5 knots of wind in choppy seas
<br>
<br>hole 4 in 12-15 knots of wind for flat water and 10 knots of wind in choppy seas
<br>
<br>hole 3 in greater than 15 knots of wind for flat water and above 10 knots for choppy seas
<br>
<br><br><br>Hobie 14 sail #17827
<br>Hobie 16 sail #72585

Hobie 16 sail #102653
Re: NOT CLASSIFIED!!! [Re: Tom Korz] #3724
11/26/01 01:36 AM
11/26/01 01:36 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

A fleet, classified? either you didn't ask or your division sucks to put it mildly,
<br>in div 16 I cannot tell you how much help I have recieved from A fleet, mostly from fleet 204, but also from all the other fleets, I can't say I've ever been sailing (racing) and not asked for some kind of advice or help of an A fleeter, I've never been turned away either. If you can make it, I suggest you come to our spring regatta in may, if you don't learn anything there you didn't want to! not to mention how much fun we are!
<br>p.s. remember rule #1- HAVE FUN,
<br>My most memorable race was one I lost, by 2 feet but it was so much fun that I didn't mind,by the way Kathy Miles and Evil Mike beat me
<br>cheech
<br>Team Bulletshot<br><br>[Linked Image]

Attached Files
4223- (54 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 344 guests, and 124 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022