11/19/01 09:37 AM
11/19/01 09:37 AM
Gscace Offline OP
stranger
Gscace  Offline OP
stranger

Hi to all:
<br>
<br>This post is in response to an email forwardedl to me. I am somewhat surprised that this issue has come up once again, as I think that a national edict prohibiting or limiting attendance by open class is xenophobic, backward thinking.
<br>
<br>From my view:
<br>
<br>I race a Tornado as you prolly know and I'm prolly not going to jump inot one of the Hobie classes any time soon. But I support Hobie classes and I do so by attending local regattas put on by Hobie classes. The way other open class sailors and I support the Hobie classes is by registering to race and bolstering the attendance figures. By doing so, we make it possible for fleets to turn a profit or provide more services and fun (better dinners, more RC folk, etc.). An edict from the national authority preventing us and others from sailing at Hobie regattas does not make sense for the mid-atlantic area, where open class registration has approached 20 percent of the entrants.
<br>
<br>We also support Hobie sailing by supporting catamaran sailing in its entirety. New sailing techniques such as the wild thing are often developed first in the Olympic classes, such as Tornado class. Presence of such boats at local regattas helps transfer some of these techniques. I would like to point out that Robbie Daniels held at least two seminars on different occasions at Gunpowder Falls Hobie points regattas put on by fleet 54. As you may know, he is one of the best multihull sailors in the world. His presence at GP Falls regattas is only as a result of the welcoming atmosphere of Division 11 and Fleet 54. In other words - no open class - no seminars from folks outside the class who are very accomplished, such as Robbie. That would be a real shame. The open class puts on new sailor clinics in the mid-atlantic area, runs an active crew list, and otherwise promotes catamaran racing. We do so in the best way possible, BY NOT LIMITING PARTICIPATION BECAUSE OF WHAT TYPE OF BOAT YOU SAIL!!!!!
<br>
<br>For those that claim that open class is living off of the fat of the Hobie classes, I suggest that you re-examine your viewpoint. In the mid-atlantic area, Catamaran Racing Association of the Chesapeake (CRAC) organizes 3 regattas yearly that are open to ALL catamarans under 22 feet in length. We certainly pull our weight at least as much as anyone else. CRAC scores open class at Hobie regattas when asked to. CRAC members gladly sit on protest committees and otherwise cheerfully help when asked to do so.
<br>
<br>A return to the old days of Hobie vs. them is not good for cat sailing. NAHCA is wrong to force local fleets to eliminate open classes. And in my opinion, making a divisional championships a Hobie only regatta is also stupid. Why should a Hobie fleet have to take a financial hit so that they can hold a divisional championships. In the mid-atlantic area, a registration increase due to an event's status as a divisional championships is not going to offset the numbers lost by excluding open class.
<br>
<br>Let fleets make their own decisions on this issue. Syracuse NY doesn't have an open class start. That's their decision. But other fleets have chosen to enjoy the participation of open class and its benefits. Don't let NAHCA take away your fleet's decision on who comes to YOUR regattas.
<br>
<br>-Greg Scace<br><br>

Attached Files
3979- (30 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: NAHCA elimination of open class is a bad idea [Re: Gscace] #3968
11/23/01 07:54 PM
11/23/01 07:54 PM
heavyair14 Offline
heavyair14  Offline

I agree with you Greg. Being a Hobie 14 sailor as well as my Hobie 16 I'd like to race my 14 in open class if either there was no 16 class or I was unable to find crew for an event. I agree that the people in open class support the fleet. I race in division 12 fleets 136 and 448 and in these events we have many people in open class that come and support the fleets. In division 12 people in open class are gladly welcomed and have a class at most events. For example the New England 100 is a distance race with Hobie classes as welll as an open class.
<br>
<br>Sean McQuilken
<br>
<br><br><br>Hobie 14 sail #17827
<br>Hobie 16 sail #72585

Attached Files
4160- (21 downloads)

Hobie 16 sail #102653

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 616 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022