Mystere 4.3 review #40097
11/15/04 02:42 PM
11/15/04 02:42 PM
Lake Lanier, Georgia
hobiesailor Offline OP
hobiesailor  Offline OP

Lake Lanier, Georgia
Hey John W,
I sailed a 4.3 this weekend in a blow and it was a hoot. I'm curious what your perspective is on some of the issues I mention in this review...

I sailed a Mystere 4.3 for the first time this weekend. It was a decent blow of probably 15 steady with some gusts over 20. Waves were not that big. 2 to 3 feet or so but pretty short. Might have been a bit more. I watched Mike flip his A cat 4 times and the I17 sailors were sailing 2 up to keep the boats down.

This boat is set up pretty nice. We sailed it double handed with all 3 sails.
Setting the boat up Alex showed me a problem with the jib. When sheeted tight the tack of the sail gets wrinkled. 2 things that contribute to this are a halyard with stretch in it and the sheeting angle. I moved the attachment to the bottom hole of the clew plate and that helped some but still when sheeted tight about the bottom foot and a half get wrinkled. There is nice shape when it is eased though. Out on the water, it wasn't a major problem as it needs to be let out a bit, but there were times when the jib was misshapen while sailing.
Another design problem is the rudder system is very finicky to get the tension right in order to kick up. Seemed like only about half a turn on the spring screw would go from kicking up to locked hard. I have heard of Mystere rudder problems in the past so maybe this is that problem.
The platform is very solid with little flex in the hulls.
One thing I noticed immediately is that it will turn 3 foot waves into one wild ride. It felt like open ocean sailing on a bigger boat.
It was a fun boat to sail but I constantly felt a bit on edge like it could pitch pole at any given moment. There were several near misses including a couple times the entire boat drove under water and came back out. It was a hard boat to trapeze off of due to the size. I wanted to get further back but ended up with one foot on the shroud and one at the rear cross bar to keep footing. This seemed to work best but still put the weight a bit far forward. Another issue of the size of the boat was limited freeboard. 2 up with around 370-380 waves would slap the rear beam hard. There seemed to be a fine line between keeping the rear from slapping waves and the front out of the water.

If you get a chance to sail one of these go for it, they are exciting. It will make your 18 or 20 footer feel like a Cadillac.

Also posted on my website. www.hobiesailor.com

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Mystere 4.3 review [Re: hobiesailor] #40098
11/15/04 07:08 PM
11/15/04 07:08 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Really glad Alex bought the boat - he got a good one. I wish I had the newer beams, mostly for the Harken traveller. I enjoyed taking his daughter for a sail at Spring Fever - I figured she'd eventually get her way if she really wanted Daddy to get one.

You were sailing two up on the hairy edge of my single-hand comfort envelope. We had some steady 12-15s blowing during the Performance Midwinters this year, and I had some seriously white knuckles going downhill for that regatta. A lot of spray and my buddies said I had some WIDE EYES.

I haven't seen the problem you mention on the tack of the jib. I have a 10-hole adjuster where the bridle comes together and the forestay attaches, and depending on the rake I'm running (usually a lot) I tack the jib in one of the bottom three holes. The head is maybe six inches down from the turning block up the forestay. I switched to a non-stretch line for the jib halyard and the mylar jib from North Sails. I move the clew attachment point up or down based on wind and rake for shape. Did Alex get the Dacron jib with the boat? I'd play with the tack height and switch halyard line. It is a tiny jib, but you need it to work right.

Agree that the rudders are tough to get set right. The good news is that once they're adjusted the way you like them, you won't have to futz with them much after that. I replaced both springs this year and I like the way they engage much better. $0.80 at the hardware store - just took my old ones with me to match diameter and length. I noticed the old springs had started to fold over when I tried to tighten them, rendering the whole cam inoperable. If the rudder is down at that point, it is REALLY hard to pop up. Make sure you're grabbing the rudder arm to do that and not the tiller cross bar. Take a look at those springs and see if they're folding when you tighten them...

You'll get used to that feeling like you're about to pitch - it's just 'cause you're accustomed to having more bow out there. I've only pitched once (mid-gybe - doh!), even though I've seen the front beam a foot down in green water. That's the beauty of a lower-volume bow and an underpowered sail plan. She's come back when I was sure I was doomed.

I'm not surprised you were dragging the back beam at 370 lbs... Not a whole lot of freeboard when there's only one guy on deck. Alex's boat has the bigger diameter beams, too. Seems like the guys that are flying a hull are dealing with a lot less drag off that beam. When it gets really choppy, seems like higher and hotter down-wind and lower and hotter up-wind to get that beam up pays off.

Nice web site, too... Pocket Rocket - good title for the story! Make sure you guys get on the class newsletter mailing list! Mike? Jamie? Tips for these guys?

Heh heh heh... another 4.3 in the South. My plans are all coming together...

[Linked Image]

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 680 guests, and 151 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022