12/06/04 01:15 PM
12/06/04 01:15 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I would like to re-paint the front beam on my Mystere 5.0XL (1995). For some reason Mystere did not use anodized aluminum and it resulted in terrible flaking paint on older Mystere beams and masts. I got the forward beam off easily but I cannot get the dolphin striker V-strap loose from the beam. It's held on with two Allen-head bolts on each end. (see photo) I've bent my Allen keys and bits trying to loosen them. If I break these bolts is there a mounting plate within beam that I could replace? Any suggestions?

Can you anodize aluminum that has been painted? I was told that you cannot, no matter how carefully you clean the metal.

David Parker
Dunedin, FL

Attached Files
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Removing stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: David Parker] #40764
12/06/04 02:43 PM
12/06/04 02:43 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I know the Nacra 6.0 does have a nutplate inside the beam for these dolphin striker bolts. I would imagine that the Mystere does too (you should be able to see it from the end of the beam).

You CAN anodize aluminum after removing the paint - however, chances are that it will not have a very consistent appearance. Any imperfection, bit of corrosion, or the tiniest of paint spec will leave a much larger mark in the anodizing coating. It will, however, have great future corrosion resistance as expected from an anodized component.

Jake Kohl
Re: Removing stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: Jake] #40765
12/09/04 06:04 PM
12/09/04 06:04 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dave, The only way to do it is to use heat and a impact driver. A propane torch should provide enough heat. A impact driver works by placing a (in your case) allen head with a 3/8's drive and hitting the end with a hammer. Hitting it drives the allen head down (helping prevent slipping) and at the same time the allen head turned. If that won't do it then the right size drill bit and a drill press will! I'll be there for the race on Sunday bring it down and I'll look at it or I'll bring the driver and you can have at it.

I looked at anodizing mine and found out there is no one in the state that does it. There are companys that do it in FLA. but only for themselves. We can talk about how to get the old paint off and what to paint it with too.

Bout time you did something with it. You were bringing the "HOOD" down with that flaking boat.

Have Fun
Re: Removing stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: catman] #40766
12/09/04 06:57 PM
12/09/04 06:57 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
I'd recommend not to use heat (propane torch) to loosen to strapping bolts...heat will destroy the beam's alloy temper, which will lead to a stress failure.

Mike.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: Removing stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: Tornado] #40767
12/09/04 07:33 PM
12/09/04 07:33 PM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

If done right you can use heat to soften up the corrosion without damaging the beam. I've have done it before and it works. I have never had a faliure due to heating to remove corroded parts. Seems to me it would be better to get it apart and see what you have and arrest the corrosion that's already going on.

I know Dave and I know he hasn't taken the boat completly apart since he bought it and he won't be satisfied until he does.

Have Fun
Re: Removing stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: David Parker] #40768
12/10/04 04:27 PM
12/10/04 04:27 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

US Western Continental Shelf
Put an electric impact wrench on it (with a high carbon allen wrench head) after donning a pair of safety glasses. Run the electric impact wrench untill you have sheared the bolt.

Now buy new hardware and use marine grease or antisieze on the parts when you re-assemble.

Buy new hardware even if you don't shear the bolt. You may fatigue the bolt with all the flexing it will undergo while forcing it out of there.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Torch to remove stubborn dolphin striker V-strap [Re: hobiegary] #40769
12/10/04 05:12 PM
12/10/04 05:12 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
My impact wrench is the handheld kind you whack with a hammer. Works great on rusted cars. However, it has a 3/8 drive and I cannot find a 3/8 drive 7/32 allen head. I'll keep looking since the typical L-shaped allen keys have all bent over under force (a 3 foot extension). I've got several wild-eyed torch waver pals who will heat the bolt before I whack it. I guess Catman is worthy since he has a Mystere 6.0 and wouldn't purposely hurt another Mystere, especially one he should beat upwind and down (mine's a 5.0).

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022