Hop To
Strategy for attaching the hiking straps to the tr #41577
12/20/04 05:01 PM
12/20/04 05:01 PM
Central Texas
yoh Offline OP
yoh  Offline OP

Central Texas
I am working on my new trampoline for a Hobie 16 and it is time to come up with some good idea how to attach the hiking straps. The old trampoline is a 20-year-old orig. Hobie tramp made out of vinyl. This tramp functioned as a template. The new one is made from Permatron mesh – it is in one piece with loops of webbing replacing the original grommets for the rear lacing.
On the old vinyl tramp the hiking straps were restitched at least twice over its lifespan.
Besides the need for restiching I always had two issues with the stock tramp/hiking strap layout …
*It was always difficult to get my feet in the loops especially when the feet were in booties. Getting my feet in typically required me to lift up the loops slightly and stick the feet in. Now I am looking for a hand free version of geting my feet in and out.
*Hiking out always put quiet a load on the straps and especially in the area where the strap was stitched to the trampoline. This is an area where lots of tramps fail (grommets rip out - is probably an other commoen cause of tramp death) I am looking for some type of attachment that causes less stress to the tramp fabric.

Is there any way to attach the hiking straps to the tramp to avoid these issues? I would be thankful for any kind of idea, drawing, picture – aftermarket tramp, different type of cat, boat, whatever works.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Strategy for attaching the hiking straps to the tr [Re: yoh] #41578
12/20/04 05:35 PM
12/20/04 05:35 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
*It was always difficult to get my feet in the loops especially when the feet were in booties. Getting my feet in typically required me to lift up the loops slightly and stick the feet in. Now I am looking for a hand free version of geting my feet in and out.

The newer Hobie tramps have a half twist in the strap between "anchorages." It makes the strap stand up a little bit and it's a lot easier to get your foot underneath.

Stitching is probably still the best way to attach the straps because it spreads out the load. You need to use a good, UV resistant thread and use a "backing plate" of tramp material to help reinforce the attachment.

Re: Strategy for attaching the hiking straps to the tr [Re: yoh] #41579
12/20/04 06:08 PM
12/20/04 06:08 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
When we replace the hiking straps on our boats, we don't attach them to the tramp itself -- we tie them to the center lacing of the tramp and diagonally back to the rear lacing, right by the aft corner. It works very well, even though they are diagonal. And since they are tied, you can adjust the tension. And you can easily put the straps or ropes or whatever through plastic or rubber tubing to make them more comfortable.

If we need straps going forward, there is a gap at the front corners between the tramp sections, so it can be tied to the front beam on each side.

I should add that this is the lazy way and the cheap way, and it is not the pretty way. Just functional and easy.

Last edited by Mary; 12/20/04 06:18 PM.
Re: Strategy for attaching the hiking straps to the tr [Re: yoh] #41580
12/20/04 08:38 PM
12/20/04 08:38 PM
Flagstaff, Arizona
Dennis Offline
journeyman
Dennis  Offline
journeyman

Flagstaff, Arizona
I tied on my hiking straps front and rear rather than sewing, so they could be replaced easily. At the front they are tied through two gromets on either side of each strap (2inches apart), through a loop sewn in the end of the strap. At the stern I use the tramp lacing line through the sewn end loop of the strap. I put two small grommets on either side of the line the hiking straps run along. Then I tied a 5" spectra line around the straps through the tramp making a complete loop. What this did was anchor the hiking straps in the middle of the tramp so they could not move too far laterally, but when there is any weight on the tramp, the tight hiking strap lifts up about 2 inches off the tramp to offer an instant foothold. It works well. I'll try to find a better photo.

Attached Files
41609-Scrnsvr 051.jpg (109 downloads)
Re: Strategy for attaching the hiking straps to th [Re: Dennis] #41581
12/27/04 01:22 PM
12/27/04 01:22 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
I fully agree with Dennis' setup...I have used this for many years on the Tornado...never had any tramp material wear issues at the strap attachment points. When ever I see the straps stiched into a tramp I shudder. What a hassle to change them should they ever need it and if stitched at both ends, no tension adjustment is possible.

One other tip...don't pay a sailmaker for the strap material...go to a local "Pick-A-Part" type junk yard and cut out a few lengths of seatbelt material. You'll pay about $5 for the lot! I've used a hand awl (typically used for leather stitching and available in may fabric shops/marine suppliers) to add reinforcing to the ends of the straps by doubling up the belt material and stitching a large X pattern through the doubled section. You can leave a loop at the ends for the attachment line or, put a hole in the doubled section with a hot knife and add a grommet (make sure it's a real brass grommet, not the cheapo plated ones found everwhere).
Mike.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 724 guests, and 115 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022