11/24/01 12:04 PM
11/24/01 12:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm new to the forum, but in my area, Hobie div 9, we have just put 5 active Tigers in circulation and hav several from Fla that will race with us. I feel there are existing rules in place and now lets play by them. I race at 350, on a good day, and look foward to racing other F-18 as a one design class. I'm not sure what we will do at a Hobie regatta if other F-18's show up, but if they are true F-18, I will push for one class, as it is more fun to race a lot of boats and get beat than win a 3 boat race. In response to all the question reguarding rules for this class and others, lets stop trying to figure a way to buy the fastest boat that might fit the class and set sensible rules that produce a good boat that we can SAIL the fastest. The Europeans have already done the work for the F-18 and it seems to work great. Sure we can allow a snuffer or similar equip, but if a manufacturer tries to build outside the rule to gain a marketing advantage it could not be allowed to compete on an even basis. Lets remember this sport is for fun and hopefully we are all honorable enough to sail within the rules. Good sailing, Rick <br><br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Any of you able to came to Lake hartwell regatta? #4181
11/24/01 02:39 PM
11/24/01 02:39 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Any of you able to came to Lake hartwell regatta in Georgia april 2002 ?
<br>
<br>We're trying to create the first US Formula regatta there.
<br>
<br>Several F16's are coming, even 1 or two crews from the EU.
<br>With the Tigers in Florida and were you are (?) we might have alot of fun.
<br>
<br>I would like to invite all nacra I-18's, F-18's, 5,5 spi, and hobie 18 spi's too.
<br>
<br>Lets not look to closely at 1 or 2 % in rating difference and race first in wins.
<br>
<br>And I'm about to put my money where my mouth is.(depending on a few last things)
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
4186- (272 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Any of you able to came to Lake hartwell regatta? [Re: Wouter] #4182
11/25/01 08:22 PM
11/25/01 08:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Pretty sure 5 of us will be there. 3 boats are from local area and at least 2 more generally sail with us. This does not include the Tigers that have shown up in previous years. Hope to see you at Spring Fever-Rick<br><br>

Well, It looks good from my side too. #4183
11/25/01 09:47 PM
11/25/01 09:47 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Well, It looks good from my side too. Already It looks like as many F16's will be there. There are more out there, but we have to push them a bit. Both John and I (with crew) are likely to come over with boat.
<br>
<br>However with 5 or more tigers I'm afread you will be placed in your own Hobie tiger startgroup. Same with us if 5 is the treshold.
<br>
<br>I would really like to see a combined fleet of both Formula's (F18's and F16's). Ofcourse under Texel and ISAF F16 is rated equally to F18 and no D-PN has been developped yet.
<br>
<br>Can you give me an impression wether sailors on the tiger that you know can be persuaded to race formula including us ?
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br>Private mail : WouterHijink@hotmail.com
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
4220- (251 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: F-18 in US #4184
11/30/01 10:14 PM
11/30/01 10:14 PM
Ontario, Canada
Alan Maguire Offline
Alan Maguire  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Right on Rick !!!
<br>
<br>That is what F18 is all about,,, fair and equal sailing. I am detecting a building wave of interest,,, and look forward to seeing the F18 class explode onto the NA sailing scene !!
<br>
<br>BTW,,, having reviewed the NAF-18 rules in depth,, and after discussion with EU F18 sailors,, I am confident that we have an excellent foundation on which to build this class. And that all the sailors and manufacturers will take special care to ensure that they sail and build within the NAF-18 rule.
<br>
<br><br><br>Keep at least one hull in the air !!!
<br>Alan Maguire

Attached Files
4362- (252 downloads)

Keep at least one hull in the air !!! Alan Maguire
Re: F-18 in US #4185
12/05/01 04:56 PM
12/05/01 04:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I agree with you Rick, I see no reason to re-create the wheel here. F-18 seems to work in Europe with the rules they have worked to develop. I disagree with eliminating some of the things that make the formula work, such as measuring sails and weighing boats and crews. All of these things require people and alot of work, but short-cutting will turn the formula into an arms race and ultimately kill interest.
<br>
<br>Dennis Hawks<br><br>

Re: F-18 in US #4186
12/05/01 05:30 PM
12/05/01 05:30 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hi Dennis
<br>
<br>One other change they made was not allow the grandfather boats that the EU allowed. IE N5.5. sloop anf Hobie 18's.. While they may not be optimized, I don't understand Why you would not let them race formula.
<br>
<br>I know of One 5.5 sloop sailor and one TheMightyHobie18 sailor who said the might have looked at upgrading their old boat...
<br>
<br>Is this a big deal in your area?
<br>
<br>PS, Tell traci thanks for the message about schedules.
<br>Take Care
<br>Mark<br><br>

Attached Files
4527- (255 downloads)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: F-18 in US [Re: Mark Schneider] #4187
12/18/01 10:26 AM
12/18/01 10:26 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The biggest challenge that we face in getting the NAF-18 class rolling is distance. We have a few boats in Florida, a few in Quebec, a few in Mass., a few in Mich, etc. It is not practical to use the European class Measurer approach given the great distances and the low number of boats. We are trying to keep it simple yet competitive. Hopefully, we will find our numbers rise to the point where the European model works in North America.

As the rules are written, anybody can race any boat in the NAF-18 class that has been measured and certified to meet the F-18 class rules. So, if you really want to race a modified Hobie 18, NACRA 5.5, Prindle 18 or whatever 18 all you need to do is get your boat measured and ceritified by the F-18 class. Either send the boat to Europe or fly a measurer here. In my opinion, that would be a huge waste of money and effort. If any of those boats were competitive F-18 platforms, they would be popular in Europe. They are not.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022