01/19/05 03:59 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Why do we have skippers meetings?

They have always seemed a big waste of time. Big boat regattas publish the NOR, ammendments and Sailing instructions and just meet on the water. Nobody seems to need a meeting.

When was the last time that the PRO had anything of note to say.

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: Mark Schneider] #43083
01/19/05 05:00 PM
01/19/05 05:00 PM
S
SHBCC Offline
SHBCC  Offline
S

Mark,

You must be kidding... I feel that skippers meetings are important. First, it is a social issue, everybody can meet formally with the other racers and get an idea with what kind of PRO they are dealing.
Then, it is very common that people need to be reminded of procedures (flags etc...) even if they are stated in the instructions. You must know also that often (allways) racers have questions and it is nice (I would say basic) to provide them answers.A good way to avoid confusion on the water when it is too late to communicate.
Also, every sailing place has its specificities, it is good to remind sailors about obstacles, problems related to the place and course.

These are the first reasons which come to my mind.

Jacques
SHBCC Race.org

Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: Mark Schneider] #43084
01/19/05 05:01 PM
01/19/05 05:01 PM
Neb
flounder Offline
enthusiast
flounder  Offline
enthusiast

Neb
All I know is newbies like instruction. I think it is a good thing for them. Also, breakfast is usually served at our skipper meetings.

I agree, give me a time when the first flag goes up and I am there. No meetings.

Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: flounder] #43085
01/19/05 05:40 PM
01/19/05 05:40 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
How about a race without a skippers meeting! how dull is that? Come on now, we are just trying to take away from the personal interelation now.

Regattas are social events, how the heck am I going to meet the other skippers that are sailing? Just hanging out after the race? how do I know who is skippering what boat!

They are much needed, its a social event, questions are answered and friends are met.

Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: SHBCC] #43086
01/19/05 05:41 PM
01/19/05 05:41 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
In Florida's summer events, there are often afternoon thunderstorms. These are serious events, and those not used to evading/escaping them must be warned at the Skipper's Meeting.
Even if you were really used to racing, would you want a beginner to hit you because of his/her lack of knowledge about starts? There is much useful information passed at Skippers meetings.

Do I like to hear the doofus who says 2 minutes before a start, "Uhh-- I didn't bother to go the Skippers Meeting, What is happening?" My GoodSportsmanship level declines with these words, and I keep my eyes open because this person is the type most likely to destroy my boat.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: Mark Schneider] #43087
01/19/05 05:42 PM
01/19/05 05:42 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Why do we have skippers meetings?
They have always seemed a big waste of time. Big boat regattas publish the NOR, ammendments and Sailing instructions and just meet on the water. Nobody seems to need a meeting.

Mark,
Obviously, big-boat sailors are much more intelligent than us small-boat sailors.

Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: Mark Schneider] #43088
01/20/05 12:36 PM
01/20/05 12:36 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Mark,
You have spent too much time sailing Tornadoes. Agreed that at a major Tornado event everything is covered by the NORs and SIs.
Not so in a mixed group. And the NAMSA Tradewinds is a perfect example.
First of all, not everyone preregisters either online or by postal mail. As for online, it is said that only 60% of the population is online, so how can we expect 100% registration?
And you never know if there will be classes or not. This past weekend we discovered that there was a N6.0 Class, which we did not expect. Then after registration is finalized at 10AM we sift out the DPN (handicap) boats, divide the number into low and high handicap and there are two more classes. Sometimes they may be divided into three or even four handicap classes.., depending on the number.

This information has to be given out at the skippers meeting as well as posted on the bulletin board. But, we don't know that info until just before the skippers meeting.

And you would be absolutely amazed at how few people read the Sailing Instructions. Despite exactly spelling out the course in the SIs a number of boats sailed by and asked what the course was.., or what the class flag was (there were no class flags).
Why no class flags? Because we did the old starting procedure using 3 minute sequences and you were assigned starting positions and assigned what course you were to sail. With 5 starts, we got all the racers off in 15 minutes, rather than 25 minutes with the new starting procedure.
I know I am digressing about the starting procedure, but the new one simply does not work with this sort of regatta. It is fine for one or two classes, but not for nine classes. Our Fathers Up There (ISAF and US Sailing)that write this stuff apparently are not privy to open class regattas.

Back from digression.., the starting procedure had to be explained at the skippers meeting or there would have been true havoc and mayhem.

Also, for anything out of the ordinary, i.e., the different starts, the Portsmouth classes, etc., you need to have skippers meetings.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: RickWhite] #43089
01/20/05 02:26 PM
01/20/05 02:26 PM
Bradenton, FL
Sycho15 Offline
addict
Sycho15  Offline
addict

Bradenton, FL
The skipper's meeting is also a great place to skippers to find the crew they needed to race. I've shown up to a few races (the last Spring Fever comes to mind) with no plans on who I would be crewing for or even if I'd get to sail. Every time I show up, I find a spot on a boat that would otherwise have gone out short-handed. With the current state of affairs for catamaran racing (a general lack of consistent crew available), the skippers meeting has been a natural way to help fill this void. Granted, Tornado sailors always seem to bring their own crew!

Also, it's a good place to let anyone know about special needs sailors... like the person who is conviniently blind in his port eye and requires an extra measure of room

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T
Re: Skippers Meetings... Why do we have them? [Re: Sycho15] #43090
01/20/05 03:21 PM
01/20/05 03:21 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Or like the last couple of year's (at least last year) where there was a deaf person skippering a boat at Spring Fever. This kind of information is quite useful and wouldn't be available in the NOR.

Jake Kohl
The best part of the skippers meeting is... [Re: RickWhite] #43091
01/20/05 03:52 PM
01/20/05 03:52 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
If we didn't have a skippers meeting then we would miss the F16 driver having a go at Rick because he had to eat at the kiddie table (DOH!)

Okay so maybe it wasn't that funny... but it made me chuckle.

Big boats RULE!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: The best part of the skippers meeting is... [Re: David Ingram] #43092
01/20/05 03:56 PM
01/20/05 03:56 PM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
So why were you sailing that little F18 then?

Mike Hill

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: The best part of the skippers meeting is... [Re: Mike Hill] #43093
01/20/05 04:13 PM
01/20/05 04:13 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Something I was asking myself just last weekend as I was flying around the front of the boat upsidedown at an 'A' mark rounding. Geezus I haven't taken a trip like that since I was on the H20... good times.

Besides my boat was still big enough to be at the grown up table.

Last edited by dingram; 01/20/05 04:15 PM.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 694 guests, and 148 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022