01/21/05 10:57 AM
01/21/05 10:57 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I'm looking at getting an RV for regatta trips - something Class A, 25-30 feet for dual purpose regatta/short family getaway trips. Family size - small. I see folks with RVs at regattas all the time. Any 10-cent advice?

Thanks!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: John Williams] #43176
01/21/05 12:35 PM
01/21/05 12:35 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I have a 23' Class C that has been fabulous for getting around and staying at regattas. However, I'm beginning to question the advantage of 7mpg to the keys vs. staying in hotel (break even is about 4 nights). For weekend regattas a couple of hours away it's spectacular! All the gear stays in the RV and the beer is cold when you get there.

If I were to start over again, I would do like you and look for a Class A in the 26 to 30' range. I initially bought the 23' thinking that it would be convenient to go to the store if we needed to and that the fuel mileage might be better...turns out it really doesn't matter if it's 23 or 30 feet long, the fuel mileage is pretty much the same. It is nice when we need to make a trip to the store but it's still a pain and we do most of our shopping before the weekend. I wouldn't rule out a class C because the cab-over sleeping area is nice when you have guests and you can get more value in them usually. Although my cab-over has an entertainment center with 19" TV, I do sometimes wish I had a bed available up there.

If looking at Class Cs (or all of them for that matter), take a good look at the wheel bases. Rear wheels that are farther back are a good thing when it comes to handling. Adjustable air bags on the rear end are nice to tailor your ride to the road - especially if their adjustable on the fly from the dash.

I highly recommend finding an RV with leveling jacks - they're prohibitively expensive to add later and not really worth it after the RV purchase although you WILL bitch and moan about having the manual jacks constantly.

Generators are the first items to be neglected on a used unit. They really need to be started and run with load for an hour at least once a month or the carburator suffers. A carb rebuild on a typical Onan will run about $350 to $400 - do it yourself for about $80. You can almost plan for that.

Upgrades that I have made:
-- no trailer hitch existed, had to weld one in place because of rear frame construction
-- CB Radio (vital for monitoring traffic on long trips and finding work arounds)
-- Satellite radio (sirius)
-- Upgraded stereo
-- trailer light isolator so they have their own circuit (I had a trailer light short take out my anti-lock brake module, my engine CPU, and all the running lights at 11pm somewhere in florida).
-- RV Bilstein shocks
-- Airbag suspension under rear end for more suspension travel
-- modified AC sine wave inverter for entertainment center so we can watch TV / movies from house battery without generator (also powers new rope lights for proper 'mood' lighting)
-- mast mount on roof was mounted until I could extend trailer tounge

Jake Kohl
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: John Williams] #43177
01/21/05 12:44 PM
01/21/05 12:44 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have been doing a lot of research lately on motorhomes because we (or, rather, I) want to downsize. I have sort of decided that a Class C is the way to go because it has the most room for the length and can sleep more people than a Class A.

With a Class C you can have the big bed over the cab plus either a double or queen or bunkbeds in the back, depending upon brand and model.

When you have a family, you need to have a dinette table, and you need to NOT have to break that down to use for a bed (except when you have a homeless sailor knock on your door in the middle of the night).

The Class A motorhomes look more classy, but I think the Class C's are more practical. AND they are less intimidating for women to drive, because it is just like driving a normal van. AND I think they are easier to service and maintain.

You don't want "pretty." For going to regattas you don't want pretty carpeting, you want vinyl flooring so you can sweep out the sand and mop up the mud.

Buying a motorhome is sort of like buying a cruising boat --always lots of compromises to come up with what works best for your needs. But if you are taking kids with you to a regatta, it's really the only way to go.

Storage is a big problem. Make sure there is storage under the dinette seats and that there is no wasted space. Outside compartments and drawers are good. And you can always put a storage container on the roof or on the back of the RV or on your trailer for the overflow.

It's nice to have an enclosed shower in the RV (not to use for a shower, but to use to hang your wet stuff after sailing).

If you are worried about gas mileage, don't get an RV.

That's my 10 cents.

P.S. After reading the post right before mine, I have to say that if it is just Rick and me, I kind of agree that it is probably more cost effective to just stay in a motel. But for a family, it makes more sense and is a lot easier to use a motorhome.

Last edited by Mary; 01/21/05 12:48 PM.
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: John Williams] #43178
01/21/05 02:54 PM
01/21/05 02:54 PM
Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Cookie Monster Offline
enthusiast
Cookie Monster  Offline
enthusiast

Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Big John,

Funny you that you inquire about this subject. I have started looking for an RV myself just recently. While working here in Raleigh, I went to an RV show in Greensboro two weeks ago. You name it, they make it. There is a show in Raleigh Feb. 11th, and Pensacola will have one around March 31st at the Fairgrounds -- don't know if you plan to wait that long. Not much to add to everyone above since I am learning, but I definitely agree with Mary on the flooring -- vinyl, no carpet. That carpet sure looks pretty, but...... You can put down runners or have area pieces made to fit, then take them out, clean them or start over. Also, in my opinion, the RV is not to save money, it's a convenience. By the time you pay for it and pay for gas, I don't see a big cost savings. It's just really nice to have -- especially with that new baby of yours. Go for it John -- you know you want it! I'll let you know if I learn anything. Thanks Mary and Jake for the input.

Hey daddy, "are we there yet?"

Don Cook ARC22 #2226 ADRENALIN
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Mary] #43179
01/21/05 03:05 PM
01/21/05 03:05 PM
Bradenton, FL
Sycho15 Offline
addict
Sycho15  Offline
addict

Bradenton, FL
Get a diesel (Chevy 6.5L TD most likely), and read up on using biodiesel fuel. Do a Google search for it, and follow links until you learn how your diesel engine was originally designed to run on vegitable oil, and all modern diesels will do so just fine. With the proper filters, you can pour used veggie oil from McDonalds, Burger King, etc. (they usually have to pay to dispose of it and love to give it away free) right into a fuel tank and run the RV on that. You'll need to start it on "dino-diesel" and warm it up, then switch to veggie oil, then run it for a minute on dino-diesel before shutting it down. A small 5-gallon dino-diesel tank will usually suffice, with the main tank used for veggie oil. The only mod that should be made is some way to heat the veggie oil in its tank. Electric heaters, exhuast heaters, and radiator heaters could be used. It's less of an issue here in FL than up north where cold temps can cause veggie oil to gel up, but hot veggie oil works better anyhow and if you travel up North it's a worthwhile modification.

With the fuel prices of today, you'd better believe my next DD will be a diesel for just this purpose!

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Sycho15] #43180
01/21/05 03:14 PM
01/21/05 03:14 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Funny you should mention that - the top of my short list (no jokes, please) is a 6.5L GM diesel in a 28-foot Class A here in P'cola. We're going for the test drive this weekend. Slightly better mileage than the small-block V10s and big V8s. How dirty is the boat going to be when I get where I'm going? Any diesel drivers out there?

Thanks for the tips, folks - knew someone would have some good advice.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: John Williams] #43181
01/21/05 03:32 PM
01/21/05 03:32 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Rick's motorhome is a diesel, and the first few times he trailered our Waves, they got all black and sticky from the exhaust fumes. And then he figured out that if he drives slower (i.e., doesn't push it so hard), that doesn't happen.

Last edited by Mary; 01/21/05 03:37 PM.
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Mary] #43182
01/21/05 04:07 PM
01/21/05 04:07 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you get a diesel, make sure you are not sacrificing power just in hopes of getting a few more miles to the gallon. Otherwise, you will lose that advantage when you tow something -- and you will wish you had more power when you are going over a mountain or trying to pass somebody. PLUS, diesel fuel currently costs quite a bit more than gasoline, doesn't it?

Personally, I hate diesel engines. They stink. They're noisy. They're slow. Now, if I could just convince my husband.....did I mention that I HATE them?

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Mary] #43183
01/21/05 04:15 PM
01/21/05 04:15 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Rick's motorhome is a diesel, and the first few times he trailered our Waves, they got all black and sticky from the exhaust fumes. And then he figured out that if he drives slower (i.e., doesn't push it so hard), that doesn't happen.

Yeah...but he has a theory that diesel exhaust soot is a long chain polymer which could reduce the friction of the Wave hull through the water!

Jake Kohl
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Jake] #43184
01/21/05 04:19 PM
01/21/05 04:19 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah...but he has a theory that diesel exhaust soot is a long chain polymer which could reduce the friction of the Wave hull through the water!

Actually, that is my theory. I passed it on to Rick, and he embraced it enthusiastically, because it gave him a good excuse not to wash the boats.

P.S. We have been hoping that we won't get protested out of a regatta for having the long-chain polymers on the hulls.

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Mary] #43185
01/21/05 06:03 PM
01/21/05 06:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

nood sells RVs. Give him a call. He's sure to send u in the right direction [color:"blue"] [/color]

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Mary] #43186
01/21/05 06:16 PM
01/21/05 06:16 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
PLUS, diesel fuel currently costs quite a bit more than gasoline, doesn't it?

Really?!?!?? Over here it is cheaper, altough the politicians and bureaucrats have an agenda to raise taxes on diesel to make it as expensive as gas. Currently one liter gasoline costs US$1.46 while one liter diesel goes for US$1.37.

There are some persons owning american cars over here, and they really have to dig deep in their pockets when filling their tanks. They will probably be outlawed soon, come to think about it, they are not very friendly to the environment. Something to consider when buying a car as well..

Diesel fuel is less expensive to refine from crude oil, so it should be cheaper than gas. 70% of the price here is taxes going directly on the state budget.

The good thing about diesels tough, is their reliability, higher utilization grade of fuel (and hence less pollution, altough a bit more dangerous for humans) and higher turning moment. Towing with a diesel is much better, in my opinion.

Having a RV when going to regattas would really be nice. We have been tenting, to keep costs low, and have been a bit jelous when other teams have snuggled into their vans.. Hotels are way to expensive..

The tent we got last year is quite nice tough :-)

Sami lavvu

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #43187
01/21/05 07:00 PM
01/21/05 07:00 PM
Scotland
George_Malloch Offline
George_Malloch  Offline

Scotland
"We have been tenting, to keep costs low, and have been a bit jelous when other teams have snuggled into their vans"

Whatever you do, don't accidentaly leave bread on top of other peoples motor homes. Particularly if there will be seagulls about at 4.30 in the morning.....

Stealth www.peyc.org.uk
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #43188
01/21/05 07:02 PM
01/21/05 07:02 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Al Schuster Offline
Al Schuster  Offline

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diesels (turbo) should have more power. Modern ones don't blow black smoke like they used to. Newer ones are also much quieter. I bought a diesel truck and for towing it's awesome.
Canadian prices are currently about $0.80/litre, gas and diesel being about equal. Up until a few months ago, diesel was running about$0.60/litre (gas was the same).
I don't know what accounted for the 20 cent increase, other than someone figured out I was driving one

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #43189
01/21/05 07:32 PM
01/21/05 07:32 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Rolf -

If that picture represents your type of sailing conditions... well, I bow to your machismo.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: George_Malloch] #43190
01/21/05 08:05 PM
01/21/05 08:05 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline
old hand
Dermot  Offline
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
Whatever you do, don't accidentaly leave bread on top of other peoples motor homes. Particularly if there will be seagulls about at 4.30 in the morning.....

I went round the camping area at a regata two years ago, followed by a flock (do you say "flock" - about 20) of ducks, throwing bread into and onto the tents For the few who did not wake, I took out the guitar and sang Kris Krisoferson's Sunday Morning Sidewalk - well it was Sunday- and it was morning (early). - At my age !

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #43191
01/22/05 09:37 AM
01/22/05 09:37 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Really?!?!?? Over here it is cheaper, altough the politicians and bureaucrats have an agenda to raise taxes on diesel to make it as expensive as gas. Currently one liter gasoline costs US$1.46 while one liter diesel goes for US$1.37.

Yeah...it was weird really. Up until about 12 months ago, diesel fuel was considerably cheaper than gasoline. Then we had a large increase in both prices but Diesel increased even more. Currently Diesel is about $2.00/gallon ($0.53/liter) and Gasoline is $1.78/gallon ($0.47/liter) in the US. When comparing this to European prices however, it's hard to complain about it.

I found this tidbit of an explanation. Sounds like poor management to me.

One reason diesel prices have risen faster than gas prices is that the national distillate fuel suppy -- which includes diesel as well as heating oil -- has dropped five weeks in a row. Almost half of the US supply of gasoline originates in the Gulf Coast region; weather related issues are cited as the reason for reduced inventory.

The Diesel price increase really hasn't received much media attention - which is strange considering how much such a change impacts the transportation industry.

Jake Kohl
Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: John Williams] #43192
01/22/05 10:26 AM
01/22/05 10:26 AM
Flensburg, Germany
Fritz Offline
journeyman
Fritz  Offline
journeyman

Flensburg, Germany
John, you may have seen my Volkswagen Van in Key Largo. It´s a diesel, TDI, which I am using since another 4 years now. Just wanted to evaluate a little on the engine:

32 miles per gallon (with a trailer behind), makes more than 100 mph! (I know you cannot run this here in the US). Easily tows a doublestack TIGEr. And it is very clean. Yes, you should polish your boat once in a while but after the trip back from Key Largo to VA Beach, we just rinsed off the "diesel dust".
The van itself will be too small but similar engines are also available in the EUROSPRINTER Mercedes Van, which is sold here as a DODGE SPRINTER. And Airstream (the producer of these silver campers) has the most unique campversion from the SPRINTER on the market here that fits for a family.

Fritz-R. Klocke
VA Beach

Re: RV as a regatta wagon? [Re: Fritz] #43193
01/22/05 11:20 AM
01/22/05 11:20 AM
Bradenton, FL
Sycho15 Offline
addict
Sycho15  Offline
addict

Bradenton, FL
Also, with a propane injection system you could have some extra "power on demand" for passing or mountain-climbing situations. Just watch the temp. guage!

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T
Re: ultimate motorhome [Re: Sycho15] #43194
01/22/05 02:55 PM
01/22/05 02:55 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

Hey John,
I know how much you like driving Nigels' Mini Cooper so you ought to buy one of these
http://www.travelsupreme.com/products/me2.asp

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022