01/27/05 06:35 PM
01/27/05 06:35 PM
U
Uni_guy Offline OP
stranger
Uni_guy  Offline OP
stranger
U

In Michigan there is some discussion of adding a shute to the Nacra 5.5 Uni. We are not asking the class to change the rules, at this time its just a fun thing. We are not trying to steal any sailors from the F 17 class (Inter 17 standard and big boy shutes). We are just exploring the possibility of adding a standard F 17 class shute. We will be meeting in early February to talk about it with some F 17 guys. The plan would be to maybe have some races within CRAM where the two boats race head to head on a fun basis. If there is enough interest within the Uni class we could possibly sail within the club as a class. At this time there would be no big boy shute. I have raced both boats and whined and complained about how hard the F 17 was to set up and sail, so I can't belief I'm supporting this (oh well the times they are a changin'). The Uni and F 17 fleets usually start together here and it sure is gettin' old watchin' them always pass us going from A mark down to C. The power of the Uni is the simplicity but its usually not a fun boat in a long distance race without the extra sail. Several Uni's already have shutes but they are much bigger and fuller than the F 17 and they are not all the same and so far they have not raced in anything other than Portsmouth. What we have seen up here is the F 17 shute is a better design. Any comments? Rush, what do you think?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Been there, done that. [Re: Uni_guy] #43549
01/27/05 07:06 PM
01/27/05 07:06 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I used to have a 5.5 Sloop, with a spin. I would sail it Uni with spin sometimes. The biggest problem I had was the helm with the spin up. It had lots of lee helm, even when I went deep, I think the boards were too far aft or maybe the mast was not raked back enough. Try to borrow one and test it before you spend the $$$$ on a pole, sail, blocks, halyard, sheet, etc... While it would be great for a long distance downwind race, around the cans it was not good. I later bought an Inter 20 and could not believe how well ballanced it was with the spinnaker up! I could actually put the tiller down, trim the chute with both hands or adjust the jib, or downhaul, whatever, the boat just tracked straight ahead...couldn't begin to do that on the 5.5 with spin. As soon as the chute went up, it wanted to head down, alot! Good luck but don't expect a miracle.

Blade F16
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Uni_guy] #43550
01/27/05 07:53 PM
01/27/05 07:53 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

(I have raced both boats and whined and complained about how hard the F 17 was to set up and sail, so I can't belief I'm supporting this (oh well the times they are a changin'). )

Stop the presses! Setup time will be no different! Putting on the boom (better sail/leech control) and putting in the sqtop batten is no big deal. Just join the F17 gang and be happy!!!

Bob C

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Bob_Curry] #43551
01/27/05 08:01 PM
01/27/05 08:01 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Bob, what does a new Nacra F17 weigh? I've never seen a number published. Is it just about as heavy as the new F18?

Blade F16
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Timbo] #43552
01/27/05 08:20 PM
01/27/05 08:20 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

I would guess somewhere between 320-340? I have never weighed mine. When I won the '97 Uni nationals, my boat weighed 347lbs. That was with an alum mast and stock rudders; no carbon parts on the boat. Boats with the carbon mast/rudders were about 20-25lbs lighter.

Bob

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Uni_guy] #43553
01/27/05 09:14 PM
01/27/05 09:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been sailing my Uni with a chute for 4 years now. I think it is a sweet set up. I would caution going with the I17 chute though. With the spinnaker you need it built around the dimensions of the platform.
I went with a longer pole then the I17 as the beam on the uni is set further back.

Few measurements from my boat:

Distance from the Spinnaker tack to the shroud is 15 feet

Distance from the Halyard Block to the shroud point is 25 feet 8 inches.

I had my Spin built by Ulman and I have been very happy with it.

Unfortunately in the Northeast I have yet to match up with any other Single Handed Spin cats so I have nothing to compare it too.

Craig

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: ] #43554
01/27/05 09:48 PM
01/27/05 09:48 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

Craig,

You are absolutely right about designing a chute for the boat! Just ask Fritz in MI about his!!

Bob

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Bob_Curry] #43555
01/27/05 10:20 PM
01/27/05 10:20 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Bob, I was asking about the weight of the new F17's, not the carbon Uni 5.5. And on the spinnaker thing earlier, the one on my boat 5.5 was very full cut, not at all like the newer taller, narrow ones, maybe that's why there was so much lee helm?

Blade F16
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Bob_Curry] #43556
01/27/05 10:26 PM
01/27/05 10:26 PM
U
Uni_guy Offline OP
stranger
Uni_guy  Offline OP
stranger
U

Good comments. I agree with the weather helm thing. All the Nacra Uni's seem to have weather helm even after tuning. I was thinking of also adding the F 17 steering system, including the cross bar and the rubber attachments to the rudder arms. The F 17 rudders are currently class legal on a Uni, we voted that in several years ago. I didn't want to add them to my boat then because when I had a F 17 I had a tendency to stall a lot on the starting line and it is difficult to get out of irons because of the shape of the blades. But, the F 17 tracks straight as an arrow when ya let go of the tiller..really sweet system. I have been told to rake the rudders forward under the boat and possibly put washers on the top of the rudder attachments to help this out due to the differences in the angle of the transom between a Uni and a F 17. I was also thinking of putting the F 18 pole on the boat. With the rule changes coming in the NA F 18 class there may be some used poles available at a good price. I have seen Fritz's shute and its huge. I really think the smaller F 17 shute will be ok. Heck, with some big folks up here moving to big boy shutes if they can once again there may be good used shutes available. As for set up, its still fun to watch sometimes how many times the mast has to be raised before all the rigging is right. I remember Fritz once asked how many times it takes raising the mast before we got it right. I had to re step more than once way too many times. I was always getting the halyard screwed up. Since then I see some of the guys are getting better using the extended tiller stick to get the halyard through the spreaders properly. As to the weight of a F 17, I saw Mark Bachelors boat weighed at Spring fever last spring and it was 350 all up. My current Uni weighed in at 322, so with the proposed changes to add the shute I think I'll be looking at 340 all up. I really like the platform, hope it works out, if not at least it would be good for day sailing or long distance stuff. Once again...Rush, what do you think?

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Bob_Curry] #43557
01/27/05 10:39 PM
01/27/05 10:39 PM
U
Uni_guy Offline OP
stranger
Uni_guy  Offline OP
stranger
U

Bob, the difference in set up time between a Uni and a F 17 is significant. Lots of do dads to mess with on the F 17, thats what I was whinin' about. The bridle, the pole, the boom, the sheets, the halyard, the hair spray can for the shute ....But....they do fly downwind..don't they. Geez, I sound like I'm talkin myself out of it...don't mean to.

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Uni_guy] #43558
01/27/05 11:32 PM
01/27/05 11:32 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

I guess I should have clarified about the setup time. I meant to compare the uni/chute to the F17. It's all relative anyway when fun is involved!
I still don't know what an F17 weighs!!

Bob

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Uni_guy] #43559
01/27/05 11:37 PM
01/27/05 11:37 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
With the rule changes coming in the NA F 18 class there may be some used poles available at a good price

To my knowledge there are no rule changes coming regarding the F18 spin poles. What you may be referring to is that an exclusion was made for a few pre-existing end pole snuffers constructed from carbon. This exclusion is expiring in the near future and most of them are located in the colder regions of this continent!

Jake Kohl
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Timbo] #43560
01/28/05 04:54 AM
01/28/05 04:54 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

And on the spinnaker thing earlier, the one on my boat 5.5 was very full cut, not at all like the newer taller, narrow ones, maybe that's why there was so much lee helm?

That can well be the case Tim. The first spis on the Taipans had to some extend the same behaviour. However since 2002 the spi cut is different and the leehelm is as good as gone. Also we are reaching higher speeds with these. The pre 2002 F16 spis were wrong in the cut somewhere.

I second gettting a spi cut for your boat.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Wouter] #43561
01/28/05 08:52 AM
01/28/05 08:52 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Here's some other things you may want to think about if you have never sailed a spinnaker cat. First, as soon as you add the spin. buy some good foot straps and put them behind the rear beam, check with others for exact locations but you will need to have something to anchor your self to the boat, steering with one hand and trimming the spin with the other. On windy days, some guys think to fly the spin is "too much" but I can tell you it actually helps keep from pitch-poling because it lifts the bows up, over the waves. Many the windy day I did not fly the spin and regularly stuffed the bows. Then after some more experience, I tried flying the spin on windy days, got my butt to the back, out on the wire, foot in the strap, and it did a wheelie over the waves instead of plowing through them.

I never pitchpoled with the spin up, I did go over but not in a pitch pole type crash but from going too high, to avoid the speed bumps (non-spin boats). You want to be sure to have plenty of room below to bear off when the big puffs hit.

Since you cannot play the traveler, steer and trim the spin all at the same time, set the main and forget about it, work the spin. sheet.

Never ease the mainsheet when it's blowing and the spin. is up, you could break your mast as the spin. will be pulling the tip forward, you need plenty of mainsail leech tension to keep it back.

The only hard part is getting it snuffed at C mark! If it's really blowing, give yourself lots of time and room, you will be busy snuffing, not steering, and do not snuff dead downwind if you have the toilet seat at the end of the pole, the sheets will fall over the front and wrap under the pole, you will never get it all the way in but have to raise it again to do it right.

Snuff on a reach if you can or even with wind ahead of the beam if in light/medium air, that will keep the spin from getting tangled up front.

It's a little scarry the first time in big wind but once you get used to it, you will never want to sail without one again! The speed is very addictive, which is why we are sailing cats in the first place, right?

Blade F16
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Timbo] #43562
01/28/05 11:09 AM
01/28/05 11:09 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Thomm225 Offline
addict
Thomm225  Offline
addict

Virginia Beach, VA
F17 sailors normally do not trap while buoy racing. It's much better to stay on the tramp area someplace and go lower.

However, if the wind is right during a distance race, we do trap out and cleat off the spinnaker so that we can work the traveler. But, you may want to get used to spin sailing before trying this!! Also, only do it in protected waters where you can make it to shore if you get separated from the boat. You can attain some pretty high speeds like this and, if you pitchpole, it can be quite violent.

Tom Turlington
F17 #124

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Thomm225] #43563
01/28/05 11:50 AM
01/28/05 11:50 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Tom, for going A to C, yes, head deep, wild thing like an A cat, but what if there is a B mark, would you trap with the spin up?

I always eased the traveler out a foot, set it and forget it, and play the spinnaker sheet instead. You would have to add some cleats for the spinnkaer sheet if you want to cleat that...but in big gusty wind? not me!

Blade F16
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Timbo] #43564
01/28/05 12:03 PM
01/28/05 12:03 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
You can attain some pretty high speeds like this and, if you pitchpole, it can be quite violent.

Tom, I would agree with that, Pitchpoled twice now wile wiring with the kite up (both F5+) and it is VERY violent.

As for cleating the kite and playing the Traveller, I thend to only cleat the kite while I move the traveller and then re-cleat traveller and uncleat Kite, just feels faster to be constatntly playing the kite. (I use 2 Carbo ractchets with cleats (extra to standard F17 setup).

Tom, for going A to C, yes, head deep, wild thing like an A cat, but what if there is a B mark, would you trap with the spin up?

I always eased the traveler out a foot, set it and forget it, and play the spinnaker sheet instead. You would have to add some cleats for the spinnkaer sheet if you want to cleat that...but in big gusty wind? not me!

If I am trying to get to a mark that is anything other than dead down wind I will always wire if I can unless it is VERY windy (and in which case you would not have the kite up). Always remember that it may pay to head hight to start with (Kite down) and hoist later and carry it all the rest of the way (thus avoiding a drop and rehoist at B).

I always eased the traveler out a foot, set it and forget it

Do you ever watch your mainsail telltails sailing down wind? I find I spend most of my time with the traveller in tight or out 3 - 6 invhes max to keep my mainsail telltails flowing properly. Unless it is very windy and I am trying to get a little more control and de-power then I'll drop it down about a foot.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: Timbo] #43565
01/28/05 12:31 PM
01/28/05 12:31 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Thomm225 Offline
addict
Thomm225  Offline
addict

Virginia Beach, VA
Timbo,

Some of us F17 guys have added cam cleats just aft of the daggerboard wells where we have also relocated the rotator cleat. If the wind is right during the distance race, I will cleat the spinnaker really tight then use the traveler and/or head low when the gusts hit. Now you gotta be " in the mood " to do this plus the situation has to be right. If you have a big lead, there is no need to chance it. On the other hand, if the F17 or whatever you are racing goes to this and starts leaving you in his wake, most racers cannot resist trapping out and chasing.

Tom Turlington
F17 #124

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: scooby_simon] #43566
01/28/05 12:35 PM
01/28/05 12:35 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Thomm225 Offline
addict
Thomm225  Offline
addict

Virginia Beach, VA
Timbo/Scooby,

It has been my experience when there is a " B " mark to just round " A " and keep on going as it is normally too high to run the spinnaker even with the traveler all the way to the stop!

As far as the main's telltales, I keep them flowing also with adjustments in Mainsheet tension and traveler adjustment. The more twist you have in the main the faster downwind. Remember, I only cleat the spinnaker on distance races and then only when you are sailing relatively close to the wind on the downwind angle. While buoy racing, you must constantly work the spin sheet unless you get a good lead. Then you can cleat and rest your arm.........same if you are way behind. The F17 has a way of totally exhausting a person of almost any age especially during an afternoon of 16 - 18 knot buoy racing. When we raced last weekend, the conditions were near that, and I was exhausted after 4 races being out of sailing shape and all.

I am running 4 ratchamatic blocks without the attached cleat..........

Tom

Re: Adding a Shute to a Ncra 5.5 Uni [Re: scooby_simon] #43567
01/28/05 01:09 PM
01/28/05 01:09 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Scooby, yes, I trim the traveler to the main leach telltales but in big wind that is usually about a foot, like you said. I'd rather have it out a littl too much than in too tight, especially if it's gusty and I will be bearing off alot in each gust, that way I can concentrate on the real power, trimming the spinnaker. I just need one more hand or learn to work the traveler with my foot...

Blade F16
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 572 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022