P
phill Offline OP

veteran
phill  Offline OP

veteran
P

Check this out:-

http://www.pksc.com.au/Documents/NORs/kembla%20kup.pdf

I called Bill to get an idea of how the weekend is to be run.

Turns out the club wanted to put on a Regatta more as a social event to wind up the season. The F18 guys wanted to make sure they had good long downwinds.
So not to dissapoint them, all races will now have 8km long legs. 4 races, 3 to count.
Camp in the grounds or sleep in the Club. Sounds like could be a bit of a fun time with a kite.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

--Advertisement--
Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: phill] #44941
02/28/05 04:20 AM
02/28/05 04:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's in my calendar Phil, as long as work doesn't pull any meetings around that weekend. Come on all you NSW and ACT guy's pencil it in, sounds like fun.

Regards Gary.

Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44942
02/28/05 05:22 PM
02/28/05 05:22 PM
Canberra, Australia
A
ABC Offline
journeyman
ABC  Offline
journeyman
A

Canberra, Australia
Definately keen, though have a few personal and financial things happening around that time so might not be able to afford it. High on the priorities list though

Taipan 4.9 AUS129 AlphabetSoup
Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44943
02/28/05 06:24 PM
02/28/05 06:24 PM
P
phill Offline OP

veteran
phill  Offline OP

veteran
P

Gary,
That's great.
I'll be there and so should one or two cat rigged T4.9s with kites from my way.
Regards,
phill

So this looks to become a F16 1-up fun event [Re: phill] #44944
02/28/05 06:35 PM
02/28/05 06:35 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

So this looks to become a F16 1-up fun event.

Better get that cleared-up so the others know that they can come out single-handed as well and not be the odd one out. The doublehanded crews can of course hunt some F18's for fun. What better than to shout :"hurry up! Or get out of the way !" to a 18 footer while sailing a 16 footer ?

Sounds like a fun event to me, 8 km downwind legs, that is going to be some very enjoyable spinnaker sailing. Sadly to far away for me.

Good luck guys !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
This race is in Aus on 2 and 3 april 2005 [Re: phill] #44945
03/15/05 10:32 AM
03/15/05 10:32 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

This race is in Aus on 2 and 3 april 2005

Port Kembla sailing club
Northcliffe drive
Berkeley New South Wales Australia

Will have a couple of F16's out.

And the race committee promises 8 km long windward-leeward courses.

Spinnakers Mekka

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: phill] #44946
03/22/05 06:40 AM
03/22/05 06:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

just looking for cofirmation of attendance at this Reggatta, I will be working my way in that direction so will be leaving on Tues. 29 March with boat, but working in S.E. N.S.W. till Thurs. travelling rest of way Friday 1st April.

Don't mean to be pushy but it does involve about 20 hours travel for me, I need to know other F16's will be there. Please reply back by Mon. 22/3 if possible as I don't want to take Altered for a unnecessary drive. I will check Forum on return from Easter Reggatta but will not have access to Computer for the rest of the week.

Regards Gary.

Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44947
03/22/05 07:10 AM
03/22/05 07:10 AM
Queensland, Australia
Philthy Offline
journeyman
Philthy  Offline
journeyman

Queensland, Australia
You don't need a computer gary,

Just a couple of bucks, a coke and an internet cafe'. Surely every hick town has one of those these days!

And

If you you knew how many spunky euro backpacker chicks hangout in them then you'd have built a 2 up boat.. ..Oh well

Cheers Phil

Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44948
03/22/05 08:50 AM
03/22/05 08:50 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Gary,

Make contact with Phill Brander. Current word has it that Phill, Gary 2 (not you), you, probably Scott and -I feel I forget somebody here- are coming. But you really must contact Phill to get the latest. The Aussies are a little fearful of spreading news in public.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44949
03/22/05 06:34 PM
03/22/05 06:34 PM
P
phill Offline OP

veteran
phill  Offline OP

veteran
P

Gary,
I have taken time off work and I will be driving down on the Friday. There are a couple other Cat rigged F16s that should be coming from here but I will check and let you know for sure.
Either way I will be there.

Regards,
Phill

Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: phill] #44950
03/28/05 06:31 PM
03/28/05 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Altered is on the way watch out N.S.W.

Regards Gary.

Drag Race for Aussies; 1st day Spring Cup Dutchies [Re: ] #44951
03/28/05 09:27 PM
03/28/05 09:27 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Drag Race for Aussies; 1st day Spring Cup Dutchies

The Australians will do a weekend of drag racing at Kembla. We Dutch sailors are unpacking our boats from winter storage and prepping them for this coming sunday 3rd april. The 1st sunday in a 4 sunday bouy race series called the Spring cup. We are all very rusty from last winter so don't expect miracles.

3 F16 teams will be there ; I'm taking a 4th F16 owner (builder) along on my boat. His Taipan F16 should be ready later this spring. But sadly is still awaiting a mast and sails. Some others still felt it to early to dip their toes in the cold water. So the sailing will be done by A Stealth F16, a Taipana 4.9 + spi and a Typhoon F16 (Taipan F16). The first Blade F16 on European soil will arrive later this spring; so no Blade at this event yet.

I wish all the Australians perfect sailing conditions and lots of fun at the end of their season !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Drag Race Regatta? [Re: ] #44952
04/04/05 04:19 AM
04/04/05 04:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

I don't have time for this post but I have to let you know.
Reggatta was well worth doing. Spinnaker Fleet was Tornado x 2, Taipan 5.7, Nacra F18, Taipans two up x 3, F16 one up Blade and Altered.

Saturday first race was one lap of buoy's 8km. apart downwind start. 10 to 15kts. Altered did OK trapped of transom most of the way but Taipans worked gusts and angles better downwind, Altered started upwind just behind last Taipan, Taipans got away a little in lighter breeze at start of beat, Altered held gap for rest of windward with breeze increasing Tornado passed by half way up work he must have had problems? Blade was next. I don't think Phil would mind me saying the weekend was a tune up for him and the Blade, to much time designing and building not enough sailing, but he improved rapidly.

Second race. 15 to 20kts. 2 laps. Start was wild big gusts, Altered capsized so did Blade others dissapeared in cloud of spray. Altered and Blade proceeded to race each other as others where to far ahead. Taipan 5.7 broke mast and 4.9's and one Tornado pulled out for various reasons. Very choppy at bottom of course Altered was sailing higher than Blade which was going faster, we stayed close together until the flatter water and shiftier breeze at top of course where Altered pulled away. We learn't heaps off each other, Altered learnt to depower main downwind, Blade learnt it needed a cleat to hold main for that long upwind. To our surprise only one Tornado and the Nacra F18 finished leaving Altered 3rd. and Blade 4th.

Saturday night was good chin wag with club catsailors not use to F16 concept, they where sceptical until SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
First race one lap of buoy's 5km. apart. Gusty 8 to 15kts. Very flat water. Nacra F18 and Altered blasted of the start to work the gusts and angles for a huge lead at bottom mark. Nacra F18 got away a bit from Altered gybing faster, more hands to do the work? But Altered had every bit of their speed trapping off transom. Altered pulled away from Nacra F18 up beat working shifts better and finished a boat length ahead of fast finishing Tornado, LINE HONOURS FOR F16 ONE UP. Blade mixed it with Taipans.

Second race two laps. 5 to 15 kts. Very flat water. It threatened to be windier but was lighter on average than race one. Everybody was watching Altered at start Tornado made the most of gusts and broke away, Altered looked like it was heading wrong way, so Taipans and Nacra F18 gybed away leaving Altered with Blade following. Tornado had big lead at start of beat with Altered well ahead of the rest, Tornado held lead up beat with Alterd holding lead over the rest. Next downwind Tornado held lead with Nacra F18 and Taipans getting closer to Altered, back upwind Nacra F18 and one Taipan went right out to the side of course Taipan came out best closing on Altered, Tornado finished well ahead with Altered next just holding off the Taipan which had the speed advantage in light winds near finish when Altered couldn't trapeze, only seconds seperated them, Blade mixed it with other Taipans. F16 ONE UP SECOND TO Tornado I can live with that!

Overall results, Nacra F18 Ist. Tornado 2nd. F16 one up Altered 3rd. Full results will be posted on PKSC club site. Hopefully photo's also. The locals are no longer sceptical about F16 in fact we could have some converts.

F16 one up has some real potential, given as much time on the water as other classes the future looks good, for racing boat for boat against anything, just got to learn how to handle stong downwind?

Regards Gary.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022