Madison, WI
rotorhead Offline OP
stranger
rotorhead  Offline OP
stranger

Madison, WI
Hi all,
<br>
<br> I am new to this forum and just returning to Hobie sailing (previously owned an '81 H16 #59536) after a decade off the water. I am looking to buy a used TheMightyHobie18 that has spent the last four years sitting under a tree.
<br>
<br> It is an '81 (I know heavy...old rudder castings/no plans to race, sail from a lift on a lake) that other that the cosmetic condition looks to be quite a bargain ($900 w/trailer) The sails, rudders, boards, blocks are in perfect condition the hulls are solid without any scratches on the bottoms or dings on the tips!! Plan to replace the tramp, shrouds, shockcords, sheets, and some misc small parts. Figuring about $600-700.
<br>
<br> The only thing I am concerned about is the pop out hatches leaked a bit while it sat outside and each hull had about 4 inches of standing water(no smell), not that big a deal right?......The right hull had what looked liked pieces of wide scotch tape floating around in it, they had a pattern in them that looked a bit like fiberglass cloth! Like I said I could not find any soft spots in the hull, no signs of delamination inside that I could see throught the port.
<br>
<br>Should I worry about this or buy this boat and bring it back into shape?
<br>
<br>Nelson Donovan
<br>Madison, WI
<br>
<br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: used boat purchase [Re: rotorhead] #44
06/16/01 08:00 PM
06/16/01 08:00 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
The stuff floating in the hulls is probably from the foam encased in the hulls. My old '81 had the same thing. The pop out hatches always leaked from the rope holes. You can always change them to the screw in type if it makes you more comfortable. I would check and change the more important things first though. Like the rigging and tramp if it needs it. If It still has the all aluminum mast, leave it as is. Unless you're racing, you will derive no benifit except cost.
<br>
<br>If the boat is in as good of shape as you state thats not a bad deal. Note offer lower (you can always go up but not down)
<br>
<br>Just my $.02. Good luck.
<br>
<br>Clayton
<br>H20, H16
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
33- (39 downloads)
Re: used boat purchase [Re: Clayton] #45
06/17/01 08:40 AM
06/17/01 08:40 AM
Madison, WI
rotorhead Offline OP
stranger
rotorhead  Offline OP
stranger

Madison, WI
Thanks for the reply.
<br>
<br>Good point, the pattern might have been more like a styro imprint. I'll have to look again.
<br>
<br>I am planning on a complete rig renew and a new tramp. I would hate to have a knockdown or put a leg through the tramp over a few bucks. The mast already has been modified ;-( I think it might have had the rudders updated. I really can't id the difference, any tips?
<br>
<br> I started offering $750 and the guy wanted $1500 (he thought it was an '84) we are settled at $900 pending the rest of my inspection and information gathering.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>Nelson
<br>
<br>

Attached Files
37- (41 downloads)
Re: used boat purchase [Re: rotorhead] #46
06/18/01 07:17 AM
06/18/01 07:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check with Sunrise Tramp, located in Largo Florida. They procduce a very nice well made one piece mesh tramp at a reasonable price. As far as the old casting. If the rudders are drilled properly and you spay some lube on the castings once in a while they will work fine. Test them out befor you spend the money to replace them.
<br>
<br>Jeff Bowers
<br>Ex 85' H18M now Mystere 6.0<br><br>

Re: used boat purchase [Re: rotorhead] #47
06/18/01 02:42 PM
06/18/01 02:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you might be able to find a later model in better condition for less money. H-18's are nice boats but their fleet is getting smaller with every week that goes by. If your going to race or plan on getting any return on your investment you might consider another boat. I have an older boat that nobody races but it's for nostalgia. If you plan on getting a boat try to get the price lower because you can get a much better boat for the price your going to pay plus repairing it.
<br> There are better deals that don't need that much work.
<br> I just found a 18 ft Prindle for a freind. for $500. It had new sails and standing rigging, two wet suits, two harneses, new tramp and it was modified with new style rudders. Pus it had a great trailer and two masts. So save some money and get a better deal.<br><br>

Attached Files
78- (35 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022