Hop To
Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March #4705
12/13/01 07:23 PM
12/13/01 07:23 PM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
Can someone that sails out of Pensacola tell me what the sailing conditions are like in early March? We are planning a family vacation to sail out of Capt. Kirk's place between March 10-16 of next year. With two young kids, I really need to know what the water and air temps are like so we can plan accordingly. Is it wet suit weather during that time of year?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Bob

Inter 18

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Bob Klein] #4706
12/14/01 10:05 AM
12/14/01 10:05 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Definitely wetsuit weather that time of year unless you are from Canada then you think it's Summer smile. You can get a sunny nice day here and there but don't expect it. I've been down there that time of year and laughed at the locals wearing drysuits.

Mike Hill

H20 #791

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Mike Hill] #4707
12/14/01 11:36 AM
12/14/01 11:36 AM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
Thanks Mike;

My big concern is for my kids who think 60F is darn cold (good thing I didn't get transferred to MN). I don't want to get over there and be the only one willing to go out on the boat.

So, where do I find good used wetsuits (etc.) for kids that are growing very fast and will outgrow the equipment in one-to-two seasons!!

Again, thanks!

bob

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Bob Klein] #4708
12/14/01 08:37 PM
12/14/01 08:37 PM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Home is where the harness is.....
March can REALLY varry.... I've had shorty days and full on gear days in March, the nice thing is that it usually windy. I'd try Sams for cheep wet suits. A friend of mine bought one there a couple of years ago and he's still wearing it.

Pensacola Beach Regattas [Re: Bob Klein] #4709
12/14/01 10:11 PM
12/14/01 10:11 PM
Sweet Home, OR
ScaredyCat Offline
journeyman
ScaredyCat  Offline
journeyman

Sweet Home, OR
If you can, come on the 9th and you can do the annual "Ice Pick Regatta" and if you stay for the 16th-17th you can do the "Performance Mid-Winters".

ScaredyCat

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Bob Klein] #4710
01/09/02 04:36 PM
01/09/02 04:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I bought my kids shorty wetsuits at "Academy", they're all over Texas. Also Sam's occasionally has wetsuits.

By March a lot of the catalogs (Overton's, West Marins, BOAT/US, etc) also start trying to get rid of "winter" inventory,and wetsuit prices can drop.

Good luck, Pensacola is a blast, hope you have a good time with the kiddos.

Another idea is not a wetsuit, but what I call a "splashsuit", kind of like a rainsuit. What really gets me cold on a cat is not the air, and not the water but the air when I'm wet, ie evaporative cooling. So, for warm (air) days, with cool water (ie springtime in the South), sometimes a splashsuit/rainsuit kind of thing works really good for catamaran sailing, since it keeps the evaporative cooling from happening on your skin. My wife & I used this method for a couple seasons, and sometimes I still wear it over my wetsuit on colder days. Kind of like layering.

Jim Casto

NACRA 5.5uni/sloop

Austin, TX

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March #4711
01/09/02 06:22 PM
01/09/02 06:22 PM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
Thanks Jim!

I have ordered a splash smock for myself recently and I have gotten a great deal of help from various sailors on dressing for cool weather sailing. The problem is my wife and kids are Texans and anything below bathwater temperatures is cold to them (wimps!!). The kids are also more into swimming at the beach then sailing right now. Hence, I may end up in Pensacola in late May instead when they get out of school---then they can swim and I can sail.

Where do you sail in Austin, Lake Travis? I would love to sail on one of the chain of lakes in the hill country if I knew where to put in and where a good campsite could be found.

Thanks

Bob Klein

Inter 18

College Station, TX

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Bob Klein] #4712
01/09/02 09:24 PM
01/09/02 09:24 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Bob-

You need to try to make it up to Dallas area and Shreveport for some regattas next year or over to Ponchartain (LA)-

Another option for "kiddo" wetsuits is a dive shop (even locally in FL) who often have used (some of the big cat dealers have used also) or will rent and powerboat shops that specialize in water skiing/boarding-

Kirt (w/ 2 teenagers- been down in the Keys in March and the water was too cold for one of them then down there w/o a suit!)-

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: Use Fleece [Re: Bob Klein] #4713
01/09/02 10:05 PM
01/09/02 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can always buy fleece pretty cheap.. It is very warm even when wet.. It drains well and keeps you warm if worn under a splash outfit. the best part is you can throw it in the washing machine and dryer so it is free of salt water the next day.. It also can be used all year long..

give it a try..

good luck

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March [Re: Bob Klein] #4714
01/14/02 09:32 AM
01/14/02 09:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sailing in Austin Area :

Lake Travis - about 15mi west of downtown, the best place for cats to put in is "Bob Wentz Windy Point Park", it is a sail-only park, with a huge ramp, that juts into middle of lake, where the best wind is. Windsurfers have used this park forever. The "beach" next to ramp is pretty rugged, bring some hull protection.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/bob_wentz.htm

No overnight camping, but next door is private park with overnight camping, mostly used by scuba divers (Travis is very deep & clear, great for learning scuba)

Lake Buchanan - a much bigger lake about 70 miles west of Austin, uncrowded and great for cat sailing. On the south shore, there is Black Rock Park with camping, and free ramp next to it in Llano County Park. You can pull your boat up onto beach at Black Rock, but it's kind of hard to launch from there. We usually launch at Llano County, pull boat around to Black Rock. Or else you back trailer up to fence and slide the cat over off the trailer over the obstructions onto the beach.

http://www.lcra.org/lands/blkrock.html

Beach is finer gravel than Travis, but can still scratch hulls.

Re: Sailing Conditions @ Pensacola Bay in March #4715
01/14/02 10:01 AM
01/14/02 10:01 AM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline OP
Bob Klein  Offline OP

Texas
Thanks again Jim

Bob Klein

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 158 guests, and 99 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022