Hop To
Tiger Hull Repair #47931
04/23/05 02:23 PM
04/23/05 02:23 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
kmboudreaux Offline OP
kmboudreaux  Offline OP

Ocean Springs, MS
Can anyone tell me how to repair a 6" gash approx 3/16" wide in the outside layer of glass on my Tiger. It did not go all the way through, so I was thinking of cleaning it real well and filling it with Marine Tex, or should I fill it with fiberglass? Do I need to put a woven cloth layer over the filled area?

Kenny Boudreaux
C2 F18
Goodall Designs/Southern Area Rep
www.sailboxes.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tiger Hull Repair [Re: kmboudreaux] #47932
04/23/05 09:19 PM
04/23/05 09:19 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

Where, exactly, is the damage?
Can you examine the inside of the hull around the damage?
The inner layers of fabric could be broken.
An inside repair is usually needed.

Re: Tiger Hull Repair [Re: samevans] #47933
04/24/05 08:39 AM
04/24/05 08:39 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
kmboudreaux Offline OP
kmboudreaux  Offline OP

Ocean Springs, MS
The damage is on the starboard hull on the bottom near the transom. I can see the area from the rear cover, and it is still solid.

Kenny Boudreaux
C2 F18
Goodall Designs/Southern Area Rep
www.sailboxes.com
Re: Tiger Hull Repair [Re: kmboudreaux] #47934
04/25/05 11:11 AM
04/25/05 11:11 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
If the inner skin is undamaged, I would have cleaned the broken foam away, prepared the outside for repair by sanding away paint/gelcoat down to the glass and filled the hole with thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency). I would have added 2-3 layers of thin glass to the outside. The outside should be prepared to recieve the glass, by beveling the area, so the first glass patch just covering the gash + 2-3 cm, and then incrementally larger patches. If you are careful when beveling the outside, very little filling/sanding need to be done afterwards.

When you have filled and layed down the glass, apply a piece of e.g 6mil (not millimeter) PVC plastic, and the surface will come out quite smooth after hardening. If you are careful and shape the outside 'freehand', you dont need a mould off the other hull. If you want a perfect job, you must make a mold off the other hull first..

I have had the same damage done to my Marstrøm Tornado, and this is how I repaired it (it's still in one piece). The are a your damage is in, is not a highly stressed part of the boat..

A last tip. When preparing the glass, place it between to pieces of clear PVC or other thin plastic with the glue. This makes it easier to wet out, and handle, before you apply it to the hull.

Re: Tiger Hull Repair [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #47935
04/27/05 01:01 PM
04/27/05 01:01 PM
Commerce, MI
tigerboy1 Offline
journeyman
tigerboy1  Offline
journeyman

Commerce, MI
Kenny,
DO NOT USE MARINE TEX or any other epoxy based product. Go to West Marine and get some Formula 27. Clean out the damaged area and fill in with Formula 27. Sand smooth, apply gelcoat, sand again then buff. Your repair will be good as new. Epoxy based products will adhere to polyurethane resins but resins do not adhere to epoxies. If you were to use Marine Tex then cover with gelcoat...the gelcoat will not cure and you'll have to start all over again. Just get the Formula 27. It's what I've used for my Tiger hull repairs. You'll be much happier.

John Bauldry
Commodore, Hobie Fleet 276
Hobie Tiger #1704

Re: Tiger Hull Repair [Re: tigerboy1] #47936
04/27/05 07:47 PM
04/27/05 07:47 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
The Tiger hulls are all layed up with polyester resin NOT epoxy, so never use an epoxy based product on it, always use polyester based.
We regularly repair damage to Tiger hulls and for damage such as yours we would first sand out any damaged "foam", wipe the area down with acetone on a rag, fill the area with a "filler" IE "Q" cell mixed with polyester resin mixed to a "non slump" consitency, then "skarf" the edges of the glass so that there is the greatest surface area to bond the new laminates of fibre glass to, glass into place over the area at least two laminates of "E" glass cloth (probably 6 oz) then gently fair back the edges to match the undamaged glass (always leave the main area of the damage slightly hollow to enable the application of gel coat to finish, mask off around the damage, apply "flo" coat gel coat (flo coat has extra wax in it to enable it to "set" in air exposure with out remaining sticky thereby enabling it to be sanded back when set), fair back the area to match the hull shape around it. If there is still "hollows" apply another coat of "flo" coat and fair, fair the finished area with wet and dry paper (800 grit to 1000 grit), cut and polish with a "coarse" cut and polish compound using a lambswool buff at a very slow speed. If it is done properly there will be no visible repare. Be careful when touching the surounding undamaged gel coat as the layer of gel coat on the Tigers is very thin and you can sand through it VERY easily.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022