05/16/05 02:24 AM
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Clint_SA Offline OP
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline OP
journeyman

Hi Guys
My front aluminium beam has cracked on the upper side, 3 inches in from the starboard front post. I've been advised to take it to an aluminium welder to repair as a new one will be too costly (especially as I'm a student). I have found a aluminium welder who says I can bring the boat in and he'll weld it outside on the trailor. This sounds greats as now I don't have to worry about how to get the beam off as it looks like I would have to dismantle most of boat which scares me. If I take the boat in on the trailor would I not just have to take off the tramp and jib travelor? What precautions should be taken with the dolfin striker? It looks as though the crack would close a bit if this tension was released... If it is recommended to take the boat appart and just take the beam, how is this done? The welder has worked on Hobies before, but is there anything I should make sure he does?
Thanks for any advise...Clint

Dubulamanzi
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Front aluminium beam cracked [Re: Clint_SA] #49319
05/16/05 11:28 AM
05/16/05 11:28 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Welding is questionable. They end up cracking at the weld. We had a guy who had his corner castings tack welded to the crossbar for stiffness... broke the crossbar (at the weld). There is a lot of twist in this part. A weld likely concentrates the forces as it would not give at the same rate.

A replacement crossbar extrusion runs $234.70 including a new mast step casting. Would have the integrated traveler tracks too.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Front aluminium beam cracked [Re: Clint_SA] #49320
05/16/05 11:35 AM
05/16/05 11:35 AM
Avalon, NJ
Craigorca Offline
stranger
Craigorca  Offline
stranger

Avalon, NJ
I've had the same experience as Matt. My first hobie was welded on this part. It ended up breaking at the weld, and I ended up in a pile of boat... The mast ended up going through one of the hulls, and the sails ended up ripped. The boat ended up as spare parts, so the cost of a new crossbar is a bargain, especailly if it fails where you may not be able to get help.

Craig

Re: Front aluminium beam cracked [Re: Craigorca] #49321
05/17/05 02:59 AM
05/17/05 02:59 AM
Clint_SA Offline OP
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline OP
journeyman

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll start looking for a replacement. Maybe I can find someone who has an old one from a broken boat. I might have to go the welding route just to get onto the water for the next month (before replacing) as parts aren't easy (or cheap) to get hold of in South Africa...or stay out of the water

Dubulamanzi

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022