05/22/05 09:22 AM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline OP
addict
tami  Offline OP
addict

Gulf Coast
From one grrl to another...

Since the subject of your original thread got totally hijacked, I'll attempt to answer your question from, well, the feminine angle.

My 1st boat was the Hobie 16. It's not a bad choice for a first boat, not at all. There's lots of them out there, they're simple, singlehandable, etc. you've heard all those arguments I'm sure. They are also prone to pitchpole, and they're not the most comfortable of boats, to me, anyway.

That said, once I sailed on several boats...

Read that as advice #1: sail on as many type boats as you possibly can. If your pic is any indication, you should have NO PROBLEM with invitations ;-). From that experience, you will make a FAR MORE INFORMED decision.

...I, through the kindness of an individual and just plain luck, ended up with a NACRA-made 18 Square.

I love my boat, for several reasons, including: first, she is, although a more modern design than the H16, still simple. She is stable in her beaminess 3.35 metres, more or less. I am able to right her with the use of a righting pole which is, in my case, an old windsurf mast...

Advice #2: The windsurf mast is a good choice because you can cut it to length, and your weight will dictate the length you'll need. It may hang out the back of the trampoline, but aesthetics give way to necessity.

...albeit a 23-year-old boat, she is quite competitive still, especially with my new sail. She is comfortable in her ride, and although made to singlehand, I can carry another person, although not in competition. Read this to mean, she is VERSATILE. Do you race all the time? I bet you're probably interested in casual sailing, so that should also dictate your choice...

Advice #3: You may ask for people's opinions, but the saying goes that 'opinions are like a$$holes: everyone's got one, and they all stink.' Keep that in mind.

I have found that although with respect to the racing scene it would be nice for everyone to have the same boat, unless your main object IS racing, you should purchase your boat with ALL her uses in mind. Your best guide is experience, I honestly believe that.

sea ya
tami

-- Have You Seen This? --
See link for pix [Re: tami] #49731
05/22/05 09:32 AM
05/22/05 09:32 AM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline OP
addict
tami  Offline OP
addict

Gulf Coast
of me sailing her, high wind 18 sustained, gusts in 20kt range, pix taken from upwind mark:

http://www.osyc.com/images/Shearwater_2003/picpage/page14.htm
http://www.osyc.com/images/Shearwater_2003/picpage/page40.htm

Re: Hey Sarah [Re: tami] #49732
05/22/05 09:39 AM
05/22/05 09:39 AM
Kuwait
S
Sarah19 Offline
Sarah19  Offline
S

Kuwait
Hi tami

Thanx for the advice. Its always refreshing to get a woman's point of view hehe not that theres anything wrong with a man's view.

LOL, ya you could say that my post got hijacked but its all useful info so I dont mind.

BTW I loved advice #3 hahaha.

Sarah

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 944 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022