Re: I have better things to do [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #52252
07/14/05 12:30 PM
07/14/05 12:30 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

A couple of general points.
In America, laws are determined by different entities.
Some are local, some are state, some are federal.
These laws are often different and sometimes conflicting.
Some places have laws about certain conduct while others have none.
Examples:
Some states require helmets while on a motorcycle while some don't.
Driving "under the influence" or "driving while impaired" is 0.10 in some states, 0.08 in others. (I think it is 0.05 in OZ)

There are no accidents.
Every crash, sinking, near-miss, injury or death can be traced back to a bad decision by someone.

Darryl,
Don't flatter yourself.
I don't sit around waiting for your response.
I prefer to let several people speak-up so I can respond to several comments.

I see you have become a true clone of KW, totally avoiding the hard questions.
At least your non-answer proves my point even better.

I AM NOT potraying myself as an expert on American or international law.
On the contrary, YOU WERE.
Tell us your qualifications.

Boomer,
Yes you are.
Do your rescue teams decide to save only some of the people and let the irresponsible people die?

Steve,
I did not advocate anarchy, where anybody can do anything they want.
In America, we have a higher level of freedom, not unlimited.
We choose to fund our Coast Guard and other agencies in order to give us more freedom and safety.
If you choose not to, that is your business.
Why do you care how we spend our money?

Robi,
I am very dissapointed that someone who actually works for the U.S. Coast Guard would lie like that.
or perhaps it is just your ignorance.
What is the federal limit for alcohol?
There are many waterways with no speed limits.
In many places it is illegal to have an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
In many places it is illegal to stand up in a moving vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
In most places ii is illegal for a 15 year old to drive a vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
Is that enough looking for you?

Again your ignorance. In many places jaywalking is a crime. A cop will give you a ticket. And you can go to jail if you don't pay.

Rolf,
A very good example.
But compare BASE jumping to the average mountain hiker.
A hiker can easily slip and break a leg and need a rescue.
This is about where the different societies decide to "draw the line" betweeen irresponsible and "accidental".

Steveh,
True, more agencies are going after the people who caused the problem, but they are still in the minority.
I wish they would sue the people who cause expense to the government, but that is not the same as a cop handing you a bill for "Services Rendered" after an accident.
As you said, you are one of the people willing to give up freedom for safety.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: I have better things to do [Re: samevans] #52253
07/14/05 12:45 PM
07/14/05 12:45 PM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
here, if your really interested read up, I'm not going to take the time to explain whose wrong and why(I don't wanna read that thing all day), but I will say that there is at least individual posting here who is REALLY full of it.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/boatlaw.asp

Josh Fint Prindle 19 "Accident Prone" Moro Bay Sailing
Re: I have better things to do [Re: samevans] #52254
07/14/05 01:30 PM
07/14/05 01:30 PM
Panama City Beach, FL
steveh Offline
steveh  Offline

Panama City Beach, FL
As you said, you are one of the people willing to give up freedom for safety.

Hey now, don't go lumping me in with the Freedom Lovers that brought us the Dept of Homeland Security.

Sam is at it again! how unusual [Re: steveh] #52255
07/14/05 03:21 PM
07/14/05 03:21 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Robi,
I am very dissapointed that someone who actually works for the U.S. Coast Guard would lie like that.
or perhaps it is just your ignorance.
What is the federal limit for alcohol?
There are many waterways with no speed limits.
In many places it is illegal to have an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
In many places it is illegal to stand up in a moving vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
In most places ii is illegal for a 15 year old to drive a vehicle. Where is it illegal in a boat?
Is that enough looking for you?

Why would you be dissapointed in me, when you yourself called me an @@$h0le and to make a fool of myself in a private message. All of a sudden I dissapoint you?

Since when are you a Coast Guard expert?
How many Coast Guard cutters(They are not called ships, they are called CUTTERS) have you been on?
Did you ask the boarding officer to show you the breathalizer?

Excuse but aparently you know more about my job, than myself. Awesome Sam, just awesome.

You are THE MAN! I should contact Michael Chertoff and request him to have you releive Admiral Thomas H. Collins that would be just super, maybe then I can be your personall assistant and help you look smarter.

Last edited by Robi; 07/14/05 03:50 PM.
Re: Sam is at it again! how unusual [Re: Robi] #52256
07/14/05 04:00 PM
07/14/05 04:00 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Laws on the water are in some ways much more complicated than laws on land. For many situations it depends on whether you are in local waters, state waters, national waters or international waters. I guess that's why there is a specialty category of maritime lawyers in the phone book.

Re: SAM seems to have gone quiet suddenly [Re: jfint] #52257
07/14/05 06:58 PM
07/14/05 06:58 PM
Encinitas, CA
slo007 Offline
stranger
slo007  Offline
stranger

Encinitas, CA
I think its the other way around on laws, I think there are more at sea than on land, Although i've never seen them in writing, Ive heard there are some interesteing laws at sea. like "you can have a cannon, or cannon balls on your boat, but its illegal to have both"

Hope this lightens the mood a bit.

I miss Cal Poly... IE '04.

Re: I have better things to do [Re: samevans] #52258
07/14/05 10:42 PM
07/14/05 10:42 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
No SAM, why don't you tell us YOUR qualifications (if any), your the one that is constantly belittling any one who takes the slightest exception to your tirades of abuse, your the one who purports to know more about everything better than any one else who posts almost any thing, (and what is it with your saying that anyone who disagrees with you is suddenly ANTI AMERICAN? as if you are the last bastion of the American conscience?) Why do you think that you can berate, insult, and abuse people and nations other than America and it is acceptable but no other person can be proud of their own country without being ANTI AMERICAN. (another illogical assumption by you SAM, but definitely insulting as you are well aware) You SAM are recalcitrant to the extreme
I have been to America many times SAM and I am glad to say that I have found, almost without exception that Americans are definitely not like the way that you portray yourself on this forum.
(have you ever heard the term "the ugly American" well in your case SAM the cap seems to fit)

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #52259
07/14/05 11:31 PM
07/14/05 11:31 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
It would appear SAM that there are many many more laws and regulations governing boating in the USA than there is in MANY other countries that also regulate their waterways. If you had bothered to actually look at the available government information (at least I have taken the time to actually read ALL the available information) you would have been well aware of it before you opened you mouth (to have somewhere to place your feet).
Below is just a very very minute extract from YOUR boating laws.

5. Reckless, negligent operation; influence of alcohol or drugs; U.S. Coast Guard. (a) No person shall use any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. The department shall adopt regulations for the use of vessels, water skis, aquaplanes, or similar devices in a manner that will minimize the danger to life, limb, or property consistent with reasonable use of the equipment for the purpose for which it was designed. (b) No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, any drug, or the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug. (c) No person shall operate any recreational vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood. (d) No person shall operate any vessel other than a recreational vessel if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 percent or more in his or her blood. (e) No person shall operate any vessel, or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device who is addicted to the use of any drug. This subdivision does not apply to a person who is participating in a narcotic treatment program approved pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 11875) of Chapter 1 of Part 3 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code. (f) No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug, and while so operating, do any act forbidden by law, or neglect any duty imposed by law in the use of the vessel, water skis, aquaplane, or similar device, which act or neglect proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than himself or herself. (g) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, information, verbal or otherwise, which is obtained from a commissioned, warrant, or petty officer of the United States Coast Guard who directly observed the offense may be used as the sole basis for establishing the necessary reasonable cause for a peace officer of this state to make an arrest pursuant to the United States Constitution, the California Constitution, and Section 836 of the Penal Code for violations of subdivisions (b), (c), (d), and (e) of this section. (h) In any prosecution under subdivision (c), it is a rebuttable presumption that the person had 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of operation of a recreational vessel if the person had an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood at the time of the performance of a chemical test within three hours after the operation. (i) In any prosecution under subdivision (d), it is a rebuttable presumption that the person had 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of operation of a vessel other than a recreational vessel if the person had an alcohol concentration of 0.04 percent or more in his or her blood at the time of the performance of a chemical test within three hours after the operation. (j) Upon the trial of any criminal action, or preliminary proceeding in a criminal action, arising out of acts alleged to have been committed by any person who was operating a vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage in violation of subdivision (b) or (f), the amount of alcohol in the person’s blood at the time of the test, as shown by a chemical test of that person’s blood, breath, or urine, shall give rise to the following presumptions affecting the burden of proof: (1) If there was at that time less than 0.05 percent, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, it shall be presumed that the person was not under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (2) If there was at that time 0.05 percent or more, but less than 0.08 percent, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, that fact shall not give rise to any presumption that the person was or was not under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, but the fact may be considered with other competent evidence in determining whether the person was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (3) If there was at that time 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, it shall be presumed that the person was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (k) This section does not limit the introduction of any other competent evidence bearing upon the question whether the person ingested any alcoholic beverage or was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense.. 655.6. Influence of alcohol, minors. (a) It is an infraction for a person under the age of 21 years who has 0.01 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to operate any motorized vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device. (b) A person may be found to be in violation of subdivision (a) if the person was, at the time of operating any motorized vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device, under the age of 21 years and under the influence of, or affected by, an alcoholic beverage regardless of whether a chemical test was made to determine that person’s blood-alcohol concentration and if the trier of fact finds that the person had consumed an alcoholic beverage and was operating any motorized vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while having a concentration of 0.01 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood. (c) Section 655.1 applies to violations of this section. (d) A violation of this section is punishable by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100). A second violation occurring within one year of a prior violation which resulted in a conviction is punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars ($200). Athird or any subsequent conviction within a period of one year of two or more prior infractions which resulted in convictions is punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars ($250). A person found to have committed a violation of this section shall be required to participate in an alcohol education or community service program as provided in Section 23502 of the Vehicle Code. 655.7. Operation of personal watercraft. (a) A person operating a personal watercraft equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard-type engine cutoff switch shall attach the lanyard to his or her person, clothing, or personal flotation device, as appropriate for the specific vessel. (b) No person shall operate a personal watercraft equipped by the manufacturer with a self-circling device if the self-circling device or engine throttle has been altered in any way that would impede or prevent the self-circling device from operating in its intended manner. (c) Every personal watercraft shall, at all times, be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner. Maneuvers that unreasonably or unnecessarily endanger life, limb, or property, including, but not limited to, jumping or attempting to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of that other vessel, operating the personal watercraft toward any person or vessel in the water and turning sharply at close range so as to spray the vessel or person, or operating at a rate of speed and proximity to another vessel so that either operator is required to swerve at the last minute to avoid collision, is unsafe or reckless operation of a vessel. (d) No person shall operate a personal watercraft at any time between the hours from sunset to sunrise. (e) This section does not apply to a performer who is engaged in a professional exhibition or to a person who is participating in a regatta, race, marine parade, tournament, exhibition, or other event sanctioned by the United States Coast Guard or authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the event is held. (f) Any violation of this section is an infraction. 658.3. Life jacket requirements. (a) No person shall operate a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel that is 26 feet or less in length, unless every person on board who is 11 years of age or less is wearing a type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device while that motorboat, sailboat, or vessel is underway. (b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a person operating a sailboat on which a person who is 11 years of age or less is restrained by a harness tethered to the vessel, or to a person operating a vessel on which a person who is 11 years of age or less is in an enclosed cabin. (c) Any person on board a personal watercraft or any person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, an aquaplane, or similar device, except for any underwater maneuvering device intended for use by a submerged swimmer, shall wear a type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device. An underwater maneuvering device is any towed or self-powered apparatus that a person can pilot through diving, turning, and surfacing maneuvers that is designed for underwater use. (1) This subdivision does not apply to a person aboard a personal watercraft or a person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, if that person is a performer engaged in a professional exhibition, or preparing to participate or participating in an official regatta, marine parade, tournament, or exhibition. (2) In lieu of wearing a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device of a type described in this subdivision, any person engaged in slalom skiing on a marked course or any person engaged in barefoot, jump, or trick waterskiing may elect to wear a wetsuit designed for the activity and labeled by the manufacturer as a water ski wetsuit. A Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device of a type described in this subdivision shall be carried in the tow vessel for each skier electing to wear a water ski wetsuit pursuant to this paragraph. (d) The requirements set forth in subdivisions (a) and (c) do not apply to a person operating a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel if the operator is reacting to an emergency rescue situation. (e) The following definitions govern the construction of this section: (1) ‘‘Enclosed cabin’’ means a space on board a vessel that is surrounded by bulkheads and covered by a roof. (2) ‘‘Operate a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel’’ means to be in control or in charge of a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel while it is underway. (3) ‘‘Underway’’ means all times except when the motorboat, sailboat, or vessel is anchored, moored, or aground. (f) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 668. 663. Enforcement by peace officers; authority to stop and board vessels. Every peace officer of this state or of any city, county, city and county, or other political subdivision of the state shall enforce this chapter and any regulations adopted by the department pursuant to this chapter and in the exercise of that duty shall have the authority to stop and board any vessel subject to this chapter, where the peace officer has probable cause to believe that a violation of state law or regulations or local ordinance exists. 663.1. Arrest without warrant. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a peace officer may, without a warrant, arrest a person who is involved in an accident in the waters of this state involving a vessel when the officer has reasonable cause to 70believe that the person had been operating the vessel while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug. 668. Penalties. (a) Any person who violates subdivision (c) of Section 652, Section 654, 654.05, 654.06, 655.7, 658.3, 659, 673, 674, or 754, or any regulations adopted pursuant thereto, or any regulation adopted pursuant to Section 655.3 relating to vessel equipment requirements, is guilty of an infraction, punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250). (b) (1) Any person who violates Section 655.2, or any regulation adopted pursuant thereto, or, except as provided in subdivision (a), any regulation adopted pursuant to Section 655.3, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than five days, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for each violation. (2) Any person who violates subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 658 is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars ($200) for each violation. (3) Any person who violates subdivision (d) of Section 652, Section 652.5, subdivision (a) of Section 655, Section 655.05, 656, or 656.1, subdivision (d) or (e) of Section 658, Section 663.6 or 665, or any rules and regulations adopted pursuant to subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 660, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for each violation. (c) (1) Any person convicted of a violation of Section 656.2 or 656.3 shall be punished by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by imprisonment in the state prison or in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. (2) In imposing the minimum fine required by this subdivision, the court shall take into consideration the defendant’s ability to pay the fine and, in the interest of justicefor reasons stated in the record, may reduce the amount of that minimum fine to less than the amount otherwise required by this subdivision. (d) Any person convicted of a violation of Section 658.5 shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100). (e) Any person convicted of a first violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655, or of a violation of Section 655.4, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to participate in, and successfully complete, an alcohol or drug education, training, or treatment program, in addition to imposing any penalties required by this code. In order to enable all persons to participate in licensed programs, every person referred to a program licensed pursuant to Section 11836 of the Health and Safety Code shall pay that program’s costs commensurate with that person’s ability to pay as determined by Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (f) Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 within seven years of the first conviction of any of those subdivisions or subdivision (f) of Section 655, or any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or a separate conviction of Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or of Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to do either of the following, if available in the county of the person’s residence or employment: (1) Participate, for at least 18 months subsequent to the underlying conviction and in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, as designated by the court. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (2) Participate, for at least 30 months subsequent to the underlying conviction and in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code. A person ordered to treatment pursuant to this paragraph shall apply to the court or to a board of review, as designated by the court, at the conclusion of the program to obtain the court’s order of satisfaction. Only upon the granting of that order of satisfaction by the court may the program issue its certificate of successful completion. A failure to obtain an order of satisfaction at the conclusion of the program is a violation of probation. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. No condition of probation required pursuant to this paragraph is a basis for reducing any other probation requirement. (g) Any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in the county jail for not less than 90 days or more than one year, and by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000). If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to participate in, and successfully complete, a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, if available in the person’s county of residence or employment, as designated by the court. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (h) (1) If any person is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 and is granted probation, the court shall impose as a condition of probation that the person be confined in the county jail for not less than five days or more than one year and pay a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000). (2) If any person is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655, of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the prior conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, and is granted probation, the court shall impose as a condition of probation that the person be confined in the county jail for not less than 90 days or more than one year, and pay a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), and the court, as a condition of probation, may order that the person participate in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, if available in the county of the person’s residence or employment. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (i) The court shall not absolve a person who is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) of Section 655, or Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, from the minimum time in confinement provided in this section and a fine of at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250), except as provided in subdivision (h). (j) Except in unusual cases where the interests of justice demand an exception, the court shall not strike a separate conviction of an offense under subdivision (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) of Section 655 or of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the prior conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, for purposes of sentencing in order to avoid imposing, as part of the sentence or as a term of probation, the minimum time in confinement and the minimum fine, as provided in this section. When a separate conviction is stricken by the court for purposes of sentencing, the court shall specify the reason or reasons for the striking order. On appeal by the people from an order striking a separate conviction, it shall be conclusively presumed that the order wasmade only for the reasons specified in the order, and the order shall be reversed if there is no substantial basis in the record for any of those reasons. (k) A person who flees the scene of the crime after committing a violation of Section 191.5, paragraph (1) or (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192, or subdivision (a) or (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code shall be subject to subdivision (c) of Section 20001 of the Vehicle Code. (l) Any person who violates Section 654.3 is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500) for each separate violation.

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #52260
07/15/05 06:25 AM
07/15/05 06:25 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
You go, Darryl!!!!! Wahoo!
(Makes me proud to be half-Australian).
No worries.
Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: I have better things to do [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #52261
07/15/05 09:08 AM
07/15/05 09:08 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
It would appear SAM that there are many many more laws and regulations governing boating in the USA than there is in MANY other countries that also regulate their waterways. If you had bothered to actually look at the available government information (at least I have taken the time to actually read ALL the available information) you would have been well aware of it before you opened you mouth (to have somewhere to place your feet).
Below is just a very very minute extract from YOUR boating laws.

5. Reckless, negligent operation; influence of alcohol or drugs; U.S. Coast Guard. (a) No person shall use any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. The department shall adopt regulations for the use of vessels, water skis, aquaplanes, or similar devices in a manner that will minimize the danger to life, limb, or property consistent with reasonable use of the equipment for the purpose for which it was designed. (b) No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, any drug, or the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug. (c) No person shall operate any recreational vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood. (d) No person shall operate any vessel other than a recreational vessel if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 percent or more in his or her blood. (e) No person shall operate any vessel, or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device who is addicted to the use of any drug. This subdivision does not apply to a person who is participating in a narcotic treatment program approved pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 11875) of Chapter 1 of Part 3 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code. (f) No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug, and while so operating, do any act forbidden by law, or neglect any duty imposed by law in the use of the vessel, water skis, aquaplane, or similar device, which act or neglect proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than himself or herself. (g) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, information, verbal or otherwise, which is obtained from a commissioned, warrant, or petty officer of the United States Coast Guard who directly observed the offense may be used as the sole basis for establishing the necessary reasonable cause for a peace officer of this state to make an arrest pursuant to the United States Constitution, the California Constitution, and Section 836 of the Penal Code for violations of subdivisions (b), (c), (d), and (e) of this section. (h) In any prosecution under subdivision (c), it is a rebuttable presumption that the person had 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of operation of a recreational vessel if the person had an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood at the time of the performance of a chemical test within three hours after the operation. (i) In any prosecution under subdivision (d), it is a rebuttable presumption that the person had 0.04 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood at the time of operation of a vessel other than a recreational vessel if the person had an alcohol concentration of 0.04 percent or more in his or her blood at the time of the performance of a chemical test within three hours after the operation. (j) Upon the trial of any criminal action, or preliminary proceeding in a criminal action, arising out of acts alleged to have been committed by any person who was operating a vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage in violation of subdivision (b) or (f), the amount of alcohol in the person’s blood at the time of the test, as shown by a chemical test of that person’s blood, breath, or urine, shall give rise to the following presumptions affecting the burden of proof: (1) If there was at that time less than 0.05 percent, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, it shall be presumed that the person was not under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (2) If there was at that time 0.05 percent or more, but less than 0.08 percent, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, that fact shall not give rise to any presumption that the person was or was not under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, but the fact may be considered with other competent evidence in determining whether the person was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (3) If there was at that time 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in the person’s blood, it shall be presumed that the person was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense. (k) This section does not limit the introduction of any other competent evidence bearing upon the question whether the person ingested any alcoholic beverage or was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of the alleged offense.. 655.6. Influence of alcohol, minors. (a) It is an infraction for a person under the age of 21 years who has 0.01 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to operate any motorized vessel or manipulate water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device. (b) A person may be found to be in violation of subdivision (a) if the person was, at the time of operating any motorized vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device, under the age of 21 years and under the influence of, or affected by, an alcoholic beverage regardless of whether a chemical test was made to determine that person’s blood-alcohol concentration and if the trier of fact finds that the person had consumed an alcoholic beverage and was operating any motorized vessel or manipulating water skis, an aquaplane, or a similar device while having a concentration of 0.01 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood. (c) Section 655.1 applies to violations of this section. (d) A violation of this section is punishable by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100). A second violation occurring within one year of a prior violation which resulted in a conviction is punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars ($200). Athird or any subsequent conviction within a period of one year of two or more prior infractions which resulted in convictions is punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars ($250). A person found to have committed a violation of this section shall be required to participate in an alcohol education or community service program as provided in Section 23502 of the Vehicle Code. 655.7. Operation of personal watercraft. (a) A person operating a personal watercraft equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard-type engine cutoff switch shall attach the lanyard to his or her person, clothing, or personal flotation device, as appropriate for the specific vessel. (b) No person shall operate a personal watercraft equipped by the manufacturer with a self-circling device if the self-circling device or engine throttle has been altered in any way that would impede or prevent the self-circling device from operating in its intended manner. (c) Every personal watercraft shall, at all times, be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner. Maneuvers that unreasonably or unnecessarily endanger life, limb, or property, including, but not limited to, jumping or attempting to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of that other vessel, operating the personal watercraft toward any person or vessel in the water and turning sharply at close range so as to spray the vessel or person, or operating at a rate of speed and proximity to another vessel so that either operator is required to swerve at the last minute to avoid collision, is unsafe or reckless operation of a vessel. (d) No person shall operate a personal watercraft at any time between the hours from sunset to sunrise. (e) This section does not apply to a performer who is engaged in a professional exhibition or to a person who is participating in a regatta, race, marine parade, tournament, exhibition, or other event sanctioned by the United States Coast Guard or authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the event is held. (f) Any violation of this section is an infraction. 658.3. Life jacket requirements. (a) No person shall operate a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel that is 26 feet or less in length, unless every person on board who is 11 years of age or less is wearing a type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device while that motorboat, sailboat, or vessel is underway. (b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a person operating a sailboat on which a person who is 11 years of age or less is restrained by a harness tethered to the vessel, or to a person operating a vessel on which a person who is 11 years of age or less is in an enclosed cabin. (c) Any person on board a personal watercraft or any person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, an aquaplane, or similar device, except for any underwater maneuvering device intended for use by a submerged swimmer, shall wear a type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device. An underwater maneuvering device is any towed or self-powered apparatus that a person can pilot through diving, turning, and surfacing maneuvers that is designed for underwater use. (1) This subdivision does not apply to a person aboard a personal watercraft or a person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, if that person is a performer engaged in a professional exhibition, or preparing to participate or participating in an official regatta, marine parade, tournament, or exhibition. (2) In lieu of wearing a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device of a type described in this subdivision, any person engaged in slalom skiing on a marked course or any person engaged in barefoot, jump, or trick waterskiing may elect to wear a wetsuit designed for the activity and labeled by the manufacturer as a water ski wetsuit. A Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device of a type described in this subdivision shall be carried in the tow vessel for each skier electing to wear a water ski wetsuit pursuant to this paragraph. (d) The requirements set forth in subdivisions (a) and (c) do not apply to a person operating a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel if the operator is reacting to an emergency rescue situation. (e) The following definitions govern the construction of this section: (1) ‘‘Enclosed cabin’’ means a space on board a vessel that is surrounded by bulkheads and covered by a roof. (2) ‘‘Operate a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel’’ means to be in control or in charge of a motorboat, sailboat, or vessel while it is underway. (3) ‘‘Underway’’ means all times except when the motorboat, sailboat, or vessel is anchored, moored, or aground. (f) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 668. 663. Enforcement by peace officers; authority to stop and board vessels. Every peace officer of this state or of any city, county, city and county, or other political subdivision of the state shall enforce this chapter and any regulations adopted by the department pursuant to this chapter and in the exercise of that duty shall have the authority to stop and board any vessel subject to this chapter, where the peace officer has probable cause to believe that a violation of state law or regulations or local ordinance exists. 663.1. Arrest without warrant. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a peace officer may, without a warrant, arrest a person who is involved in an accident in the waters of this state involving a vessel when the officer has reasonable cause to 70believe that the person had been operating the vessel while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or under the combined influence of an alcoholic beverage and any drug. 668. Penalties. (a) Any person who violates subdivision (c) of Section 652, Section 654, 654.05, 654.06, 655.7, 658.3, 659, 673, 674, or 754, or any regulations adopted pursuant thereto, or any regulation adopted pursuant to Section 655.3 relating to vessel equipment requirements, is guilty of an infraction, punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250). (b) (1) Any person who violates Section 655.2, or any regulation adopted pursuant thereto, or, except as provided in subdivision (a), any regulation adopted pursuant to Section 655.3, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than five days, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for each violation. (2) Any person who violates subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 658 is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars ($200) for each violation. (3) Any person who violates subdivision (d) of Section 652, Section 652.5, subdivision (a) of Section 655, Section 655.05, 656, or 656.1, subdivision (d) or (e) of Section 658, Section 663.6 or 665, or any rules and regulations adopted pursuant to subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 660, is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for each violation. (c) (1) Any person convicted of a violation of Section 656.2 or 656.3 shall be punished by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by imprisonment in the state prison or in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. (2) In imposing the minimum fine required by this subdivision, the court shall take into consideration the defendant’s ability to pay the fine and, in the interest of justicefor reasons stated in the record, may reduce the amount of that minimum fine to less than the amount otherwise required by this subdivision. (d) Any person convicted of a violation of Section 658.5 shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100). (e) Any person convicted of a first violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655, or of a violation of Section 655.4, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to participate in, and successfully complete, an alcohol or drug education, training, or treatment program, in addition to imposing any penalties required by this code. In order to enable all persons to participate in licensed programs, every person referred to a program licensed pursuant to Section 11836 of the Health and Safety Code shall pay that program’s costs commensurate with that person’s ability to pay as determined by Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (f) Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 within seven years of the first conviction of any of those subdivisions or subdivision (f) of Section 655, or any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or a separate conviction of Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or of Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to do either of the following, if available in the county of the person’s residence or employment: (1) Participate, for at least 18 months subsequent to the underlying conviction and in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, as designated by the court. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (2) Participate, for at least 30 months subsequent to the underlying conviction and in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code. A person ordered to treatment pursuant to this paragraph shall apply to the court or to a board of review, as designated by the court, at the conclusion of the program to obtain the court’s order of satisfaction. Only upon the granting of that order of satisfaction by the court may the program issue its certificate of successful completion. A failure to obtain an order of satisfaction at the conclusion of the program is a violation of probation. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. No condition of probation required pursuant to this paragraph is a basis for reducing any other probation requirement. (g) Any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in the county jail for not less than 90 days or more than one year, and by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000). If probation is granted, the court, as a condition of probation, may require the person to participate in, and successfully complete, a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, if available in the person’s county of residence or employment, as designated by the court. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (h) (1) If any person is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), or (e) of Section 655 and is granted probation, the court shall impose as a condition of probation that the person be confined in the county jail for not less than five days or more than one year and pay a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000). (2) If any person is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655, of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the prior conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, and is granted probation, the court shall impose as a condition of probation that the person be confined in the county jail for not less than 90 days or more than one year, and pay a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), and the court, as a condition of probation, may order that the person participate in a manner satisfactory to the court, in a program licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 11836) of Part 2 of Division 10.5 of the Health and Safety Code, if available in the county of the person’s residence or employment. In order to enable all required persons to participate, each person shall pay the program costs commensurate with the person’s ability to pay as determined pursuant to Section 11837.4 of the Health and Safety Code. (i) The court shall not absolve a person who is convicted of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 655 within seven years of a separate conviction of a violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) of Section 655, or Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, from the minimum time in confinement provided in this section and a fine of at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250), except as provided in subdivision (h). (j) Except in unusual cases where the interests of justice demand an exception, the court shall not strike a separate conviction of an offense under subdivision (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) of Section 655 or of Section 191.5 or subdivision (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code, when the prior conviction resulted from the operation of a vessel, or Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, when the separate conviction resulted from the operation of a motor vehicle, for purposes of sentencing in order to avoid imposing, as part of the sentence or as a term of probation, the minimum time in confinement and the minimum fine, as provided in this section. When a separate conviction is stricken by the court for purposes of sentencing, the court shall specify the reason or reasons for the striking order. On appeal by the people from an order striking a separate conviction, it shall be conclusively presumed that the order wasmade only for the reasons specified in the order, and the order shall be reversed if there is no substantial basis in the record for any of those reasons. (k) A person who flees the scene of the crime after committing a violation of Section 191.5, paragraph (1) or (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 192, or subdivision (a) or (c) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code shall be subject to subdivision (c) of Section 20001 of the Vehicle Code. (l) Any person who violates Section 654.3 is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500) for each separate violation.
HOLLY COPY PASTE BATMAN POST

Re: I have better things to do [Re: bullswan] #52262
07/15/05 09:29 AM
07/15/05 09:29 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Well Well that tips the scales, Sam you should do a little research before spouting. But I guess you'll say that information is wrong. No matter, everyone is entitled to their opinion whatever it is. That is the beauty of our country, some like it, some don't.

Clayton
A much calmer American...

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Clayton] #52263
07/15/05 09:38 AM
07/15/05 09:38 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's going to tip the scales at our server, too, if you guys print all the laws on the books in the United States and everywhere else in the world. Doesn't the Coast Guard have its own web site? Can't you do links?

This is ridiculous!

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Mary] #52264
07/15/05 11:06 AM
07/15/05 11:06 AM
Simi Valley, CA
jfint Offline
enthusiast
jfint  Offline
enthusiast

Simi Valley, CA
I forgot about my profil, I finished Cal-Poly in June, got married a week later, and started my new carreer a week and a half after that, I now work in agoura Hills CA, I'll have to change my profile. Anyhow, cheers to those of us on the west coast.

Josh Fint Prindle 19 "Accident Prone" Moro Bay Sailing
Re: I have better things to do [Re: Mary] #52265
07/15/05 12:52 PM
07/15/05 12:52 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
It's going to tip the scales at our server, too, if you guys print all the laws on the books in the United States and everywhere else in the world. Doesn't the Coast Guard have its own web site? Can't you do links?

This is ridiculous!
Tip the scales on your servers? what do you mean?

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Robi] #52266
07/15/05 12:58 PM
07/15/05 12:58 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What do you mean, what do I mean?

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Mary] #52267
07/15/05 01:11 PM
07/15/05 01:11 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
You mentioned tip the scale on your servers. What scale are you talking about?

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Robi] #52268
07/15/05 01:17 PM
07/15/05 01:17 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
When _that_ scale tips, the server is full and the forums here die.
I suspect that onlinemarinestore.com and catsailor.com run on the same server? So that would bring down the store as well.

Now, those text posts does not require much storage space compared to the photos. But they are a nuisance to scan trough..

Re: I have better things to do [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #52269
07/15/05 01:20 PM
07/15/05 01:20 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
figure of speech
n. pl. figures of speech
An expression that uses language in a nonliteral way, such as a metaphor or synedoche, or in a structured or unusual way, such as anaphora or chiasmus, or that employs sounds, such as alliteration or assonance, to achieve a rhetorical effect.

Jake Kohl
Re: I have better things to do [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #52270
07/15/05 01:26 PM
07/15/05 01:26 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
When _that_ scale tips, the server is full and the forums here die.
I have never heard of such an issue. Because of a text post, the account will NOT reach its bandwidth limit.

That is why I asked, what scale Mary was talking about. I have never heard that term used before.
ingrish es not may ferst languagge

Last edited by Robi; 07/15/05 01:27 PM.
Re: I have better things to do [Re: Robi] #52271
07/15/05 01:54 PM
07/15/05 01:54 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Geez, Robi, you have no sense of humor.
Darryl printed all our coast guard laws and then you printed all the laws....

I was just trying to point out that there is NO point in printing all the laws of the water on our forum. I figure next will be the laws in Australia, and then Europe.

And then Sam will say something that will prompt you all to print all the motor vehicle laws from everywhere in the world.

As I said, It's ridiculous! Give it up, guys. Education is nice, but for those of us who are interested, just give us a link.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022