07/12/05 04:51 PM
07/12/05 04:51 PM
Salt Lake City, UT
utahsailor Offline OP
journeyman
utahsailor  Offline OP
journeyman

Salt Lake City, UT
I would like to post a complaint/gripe against the EZ-step mast stepper.

I paid well over $150 for a thin metal bar with two light-duty adjustable straps. I attempted to use it as the instructions directed on my Nacra 5.5 mast, only to find that the flimsy design could never work, and could quite possibly damage your mast or boat.

Has anyone actually had success with this thing?

-Aaron

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: utahsailor] #53128
07/12/05 05:24 PM
07/12/05 05:24 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Have you tried to contact the manufacturer about your problem. Putting it out here first is not the route to go. Alienating your supplier will not help in getting the problem solved.

Just like when my boat doesn't sail right I always check the tiller... there is usually a loose nut at the end.
But thats just me.

Peace,
Clayton

Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: Clayton] #53129
07/12/05 05:35 PM
07/12/05 05:35 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As far as I know, the manufacturer stopped making those years ago and shut down that particular business. He had originally invented it for himself and his family to help raise the masts on their boats, and then other people wanted them, too, so he started selling them. It may be that there are a few left that are still being sold through various sources.

Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: Mary] #53130
07/12/05 05:53 PM
07/12/05 05:53 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Hobie Cat sells them they have them in there catalog.

Yes $150+ is a hefty price for the simple system. I have one, good thing I never had to buy it, it was included with the purchase of my first hobie. I would never pay $150.00 for it. Not even $50.00.

I agree with the threads author, not worth the money.

Last edited by Robi; 07/12/05 05:55 PM.
Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: utahsailor] #53131
07/12/05 06:19 PM
07/12/05 06:19 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Utahsailor,
I agree with Clayton. It's not nice to air complaints about a product on a forum like this. Talk to whoever you bought it from.

The person who designed the E-Z Step thought he was doing a good thing to help save sailors' backs. He definitely did not do it to make money for himself, because he has a normal business doing other things.

I always wished we had an E-Z Step, considering the various contraptions and techniques we have used to save Rick's back while raising masts.

Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: Mary] #53132
07/12/05 09:08 PM
07/12/05 09:08 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
I used the e z stepper for years, I stepped my H-21 mast solo many times cause my crew was always late. Personally, I never had a problem, perhaps you should check the nut on the tiller.
It aint much for the money, you are right on in that area.

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: Mary] #53133
07/13/05 11:57 AM
07/13/05 11:57 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
The guy who designed the EZ step sold his machine shop and the design for it a few years ago. We still get them. If used properly they work fine. If it is between sailing and not sailing... I guess I would use it!

Like many things, these look simple, but there are a lot of custom made parts, assembly, shipping, margins for manufacturer, distributer, more shipping and margin for a dealer. Can you make one for your self? Maybe, but by the time you get all the parts worked out, purchased, fabricated and assembled... you have "spent" more in time and materials.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: utahsailor] #53134
07/13/05 12:17 PM
07/13/05 12:17 PM
Niagara Falls NY
mikemac Offline
mikemac  Offline

Niagara Falls NY
Another hobie 21se sailor with no problem. The 21 has the heaviest mast in beachcat land. 21's should place 3/4 inch schudule 40 pipe inside the lenghth of tube. As per company recomendation.

Re: Would like to know how to connect it all [Re: mikemac] #53135
07/13/05 04:55 PM
07/13/05 04:55 PM
BobG Offline
addict
BobG  Offline
addict

Where do all the D ring stappage connect to and how high up the mast do you start placement of the boom? thanks from an unused E-Z step.

Re: Would like to know how to connect it all [Re: BobG] #53136
07/14/05 08:48 AM
07/14/05 08:48 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
OK, I'll step up here and offer high praise for the EZ Step.

I used to sail a SuperCat 17 which had a MONSTER of a mast. For sure, it took a few tries to get the EZ_Step straps in the right place and at the right length. Here are a few of the considerations.
> The entire process added only seven minutes to rigging. I never climbed up onto the tramp and never grunted and lifted that beast of a mast. I did the entire dance solo...very dignified, very easy. And I never had sandy footprints on the tramp.
> I added plastic clips to the rear trap bungies so the trap wires could easily be brought forward to the winch. That left the fore stay free to clip to the bridle.
> The forward trap lines ran through the forward beam so their length and geometry was right to clip to the EZ-Step to prevent side swing throughout the lifting process. Think it out BEFORE you start! This geometry must be perfect. It's easy.
> The pole was about 6 inches up the mast...lowest is best. ALWAYS strap it to the mast. One slip spells disaster.
> I could release the SuperCat righting levers to ease the shroud tension for raising and lowering. Too cool! Or is it "cool tool"?
> ONCE in three years a steel side clip broke. The mast swung a bit but no major problem...except near heart failure! The broken clip was understandable since I foolishly did not rinse the EZ-Step.
> PRACTICE and check everything before you start since you are trusting the process with a lot of weight and it has a potential for DISASTER if you screw up (it is YOU that screws up, not the EZ-Step).
> I have a PDF of the EZ-Step manual. PM me if you want it.

A better plan is to tow the boat backwards and lift it yourself. Easy, solo, and quick. My EZ-Setp is now retired.

Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: utahsailor] #53137
07/14/05 11:42 AM
07/14/05 11:42 AM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
I purchased one from Murray's several years ago. If I had the talent, I probably could have made one myself for less money however.....honestly, it was (is) a great tool for me.

I sail solo 99% of the time, and trailered my P-18 to various locales. Raising that mast alone is a huge pain. Very easy to hurt the back and that just isn't worth it. Trying to find someone to help me all of the time is also a pain.

When I bought the Stepper, I took the boat to a large parking lot and practiced the set up and take down several times until I had the technique worked out. I made a wooden stand to hold the aft end of the mast while I was hooking everything up.

The P-18 mast needs to go up sideways so on suggestion from another Prindle owner, I added an uphaul line to the hounds (thanks for the help, GARY) and used that instead of the forestay for raising it.

I was never 100% worry free as I eyed the mast going up...hey! what if something fails? So I tried to winch it up fast through the tougher sections.

I have heard of the pole failing and others replacing it with a stronger version.

I keep my boat in mast up storage now at the dock so I don't use the Stepper anymore but I admit it was exactly the tool that I needed to allow me to set up solo with a minimum of help and I have no regrets having paid the $$ for it.

Sheldon
P-18

Re: avoid EZ-step like the plague [Re: utahsailor] #53138
07/14/05 02:47 PM
07/14/05 02:47 PM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

I bought one of these for my first Hobie 16, and liked it. When I upgraded to a Hobie 20, I only used it once. I called the manufacturer to get advice on proper use, and they recommended reinforcing it by putting a piece of black pipe down the center. The concern was that it might break when used for a mast as heavy as the Hobie 20 mast.

In the end it worked on the 20 fine, but it was a bit dawnting to watch that huge mast go up knowing that if anything broke in the process, I was screwed!

Now I get help, and use a winch to take the weight off my back when stepping.

Cheers!

Tim

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 659 guests, and 155 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022