Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: scooby_simon] #53838
07/31/05 10:21 PM
07/31/05 10:21 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

Simon,

You are definitely a student of KW, taking my comments out of context and stretching their meaning into something different.

I have never been a "Supporter" of Wouter, I just don't believe in having a go at people for no reason, I object you your tone.

I always have a good reason to "have a go" at KW, like his lying, exaggerating, hiding the truth.

Erm, no; I have told people that an F16 was a possible next boat; I never said "I am going to buy a F16", or "it is a strong possibility I will buy an F16". IIRC, I said the possibles were

1, F16
2, A class
3, M18
4, Inter 17R
5, Something else

Another stretch of my words.
I said "gave the impression".
Why don't you give us the links to your posts that talk about other boats.
You have been posting on the f16 forum and talking about it for years.
What sort of behavior would give YOU an "impression".

The irony isn't about the boat you want, it is about your whole non-f16 revelation.

What existing Class will it be legal for, the Scooby Class?
If you are going to start your own Class, maybe Rick will let you have your own forum.

Don't be silly.
Obviously, I am not "pretending" to any specific Class organiation.

You post on the f16 Class forum for several years and then one day you announce that an f16 isn't good enough, so you are going to have a custon one-off built.
But you don't call that a "push"?

--Advertisement--
Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: samevans] #53839
07/31/05 10:50 PM
07/31/05 10:50 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
"Taking comments out of context and stretching they’re meaning into something else", "telling lies, exaggerating, hiding the truth.” "Innuendo", now doesn't that sound just like, and describe some one, we all know down to a "tee" ?????

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: samevans] #53840
07/31/05 11:25 PM
07/31/05 11:25 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
So have you Sam, are you considering a F16 cat?

OR Better yet.

What is your purpose on the F16 forums?

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: samevans] #53841
08/01/05 08:49 AM
08/01/05 08:49 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Sam,
It has finally become quite clear to me that your true goal is to destroy Rick and me and our forums and, as a result, our entire web site. I don't know what we have ever done to you to deserve this.

Sailing is a very fragile sport, and catamaran sailing is the most fragile of its segments. Why are you trying to chase people away from it?

I don't care whether sailors are Republicans or Democrats or Communists, lawyers or auto mechanics, Catholics or Protestants or Muslims -- and I don't even want to know any of that. In this venue all that matters is that people share a common love for sailing catamarans.

I know you love sailing, so why are you trying to make it look so meanspirited and ugly to others?

The only thing I can think is that you drink too much diet soda or are taking steroids or have a brain tumor (God forbid).

Rick and I really like you, and I don't understand why you don't like us.

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: samevans] #53842
08/01/05 02:41 PM
08/01/05 02:41 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Simon,

You are definitely a student of KW, taking my comments out of context and stretching their meaning into something different.

I have never been a "Supporter" of Wouter, I just don't believe in having a go at people for no reason, I object you your tone.

I always have a good reason to "have a go" at KW, like his lying, exaggerating, hiding the truth.

Erm, no; I have told people that an F16 was a possible next boat; I never said "I am going to buy a F16", or "it is a strong possibility I will buy an F16". IIRC, I said the possibles were

1, F16
2, A class
3, M18
4, Inter 17R
5, Something else

The irony isn't about the boat you want, it is about your whole non-f16 revelation.

If you are going to start your own Class, maybe Rick will let you have your own forum.

Don't be silly.

You post on the f16 Class forum for several years and then one day you announce that an f16 isn't good enough, so you are going to have a custon one-off built.

How many years?, I have only been a member of this forum for just under 2 years, so that is not true. Check to the right, I joined "02/06/04". Now how many years is that ?

The boat will be a one-off (for now) and I will race it on handicap - do I have to have a boat that conforms to a classes rules ?

OK.

First one, Commenting on the problems I have had with Marstrom when invesitgating the M18 , more on the M18 and finally where I provide the list as above

Perhaps you will now go away Sam.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: scooby_simon] #53843
08/01/05 03:11 PM
08/01/05 03:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess it would be easy for folks to get the wrong impression though, unless you'd been really explicit and said something like "I don't have an F16 and I'm not planning to buy one".

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: Mary] #53844
08/01/05 06:51 PM
08/01/05 06:51 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Sam,
It has finally become quite clear to me that your true goal is to destroy Rick and me and our forums and, as a result, our entire web site. I don't know what we have ever done to you to deserve this.

Sailing is a very fragile sport, and catamaran sailing is the most fragile of its segments. Why are you trying to chase people away from it?

I don't care whether sailors are Republicans or Democrats or Communists, lawyers or auto mechanics, Catholics or Protestants or Muslims -- and I don't even want to know any of that. In this venue all that matters is that people share a common love for sailing catamarans.

I know you love sailing, so why are you trying to make it look so meanspirited and ugly to others?

The only thing I can think is that you drink too much diet soda or are taking steroids or have a brain tumor (God forbid).

Rick and I really like you, and I don't understand why you don't like us.
Seriously I think this post sums it all up for us.

It is sad, that from such an awesome post "Agent ORange" a blade in Asia, it had to turn into a Sam vs all bickering. This comes to show, that sam is at a point where he seriously annoys a good ammount of members on this forum. We can count on MAYBE two hands the ammount of "Good" or "non-attacking" post from Sam. Same wake up and smell the coffee dude, what the heck is wrong? Is there anything we can do to help you? Why are you so bitter over everything? Actually NO, forget it, I dont care. Please whatever you do not answer those questions.

All post NOT related to the discussion as the title stated should get deleted.

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: Robi] #53845
08/02/05 04:52 AM
08/02/05 04:52 AM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
Robi said:

But then hijacking a thread won't be fun any more!

John Alani
Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: Jalani] #53846
08/02/05 07:43 AM
08/02/05 07:43 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Robi said:

But then hijacking a thread won't be fun any more!

So true!!! I take back what I said! LOL

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: Robi] #53847
08/02/05 02:42 PM
08/02/05 02:42 PM
G
Galeo Offline
Galeo  Offline
G

Man, this cat is such a thing of beauty!

Re: What a strange turn of events!!! [Re: Galeo] #53848
08/02/05 03:12 PM
08/02/05 03:12 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ummm....

Simon,

1, F16
2, A class
3, M18
4, Inter 17R
5, Something else

Don't be silly.

How many years?, I have only been a member of this forum for just under 2 years, so that is not true. Check to the right, I joined "02/06/04". Now how many years is that ?

The boat will be a one-off (for now) and I will race it on handicap - do I have to have a boat that conforms to a classes rules ?

OK.

First one, Commenting on the problems I have had with Marstrom when invesitgating the M18 , more on the M18 and finally where I provide the list as above

Perhaps you will now go away Sam.

I notice Sam has not replied.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Don't expect a comeback any time soon! [Re: scooby_simon] #53849
08/02/05 03:44 PM
08/02/05 03:44 PM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
Simon,
Based on some of the other posts in this forum, I think it's now pretty clear that if Sam doesn't want to get banned he can't reply to a post like yours.

Let's all let it quietly drop and give the guy a chance.

John Alani
Re: Don't expect a comeback any time soon! [Re: Jalani] #53850
08/02/05 04:56 PM
08/02/05 04:56 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Simon,
Based on some of the other posts in this forum, I think it's now pretty clear that if Sam doesn't want to get banned he can't reply to a post like yours.

Let's all let it quietly drop and give the guy a chance.

Ummm..

The problem here is that Sam made some accusations at me (I was not talking about other boats and was only selling the 17 to buy an F16)that I feel I have to defend myself against. IMO Sam can answer my post above buy saying he was wrong ! I believe I have never suggested I was solely planning to buy an F16, if people think this, then I am sorry, I was investigating a number of options and have now made a decision that my one-off 18 footer is the way to go.

As far as the banning (or not) of people; I help to moderate a motoring forum where we do not believe in banning people, it does not work. I believe in education. People need to learn how to behave in these forums.

Sam has been subject of a bit of a backlash, justifiably IMO as he has come over in his posts (deliberately or not) as belligerent, argumentative and generally out-to-cause-trouble.

If he gets banned (which I do not support) he can just register another user name; If The IP he is using is banned he can easily change IP - Ergo, banning does not work.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Okay, knock it off ! [Re: scooby_simon] #53851
08/02/05 05:08 PM
08/02/05 05:08 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

What part of : "don't refer to Sam anymore" do you NOT understand.

If you don't support getting him banned than don't bait him. Do the honourable thing and from now on remain silent on the subject. Let Rick and Mary do their thing and get this issue out of the public sphere.

And note that we are all trying to solve this thing in the best way possible, don't make it harder on us than it needs to be.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Okay, knock it off ! [Re: Wouter] #53852
08/02/05 05:52 PM
08/02/05 05:52 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Sam who?

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: Okay, knock it off ! [Re: arbo06] #53853
08/02/05 11:27 PM
08/02/05 11:27 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
[Linked Image]

Attached Files
54678-Calvin3.jpg (276 downloads)
some sailmakers around? [Re: phill] #53854
08/02/05 11:37 PM
08/02/05 11:37 PM
Shanghai, China
Dirk Offline
Dirk  Offline

Shanghai, China
the comparison between the two mainsails shows the significant difference quite obvious.

In the last act of the AC the German United Internet Team skippered by Jesper Bank reached that event in last minute condition with the old mainhead shape Malcazone used in the last AC while all the top teams were using the bigger headsails. Lacking some power, after racing a few days with the old shape, Jesper Banks team showed up with a sail where additional sailarea was added to the old shape! It seemed that this helped them quite well in gaining performance.

I wonder if you can 'update' the old Taipan 4.9 sails (which have such a little square top that you can heardly call it one) the same way?

Just to comment some other raised questions here:
A wider/larger square top not only increases your light wind performance, but if cut and trimmed correctly, it also helps to open the leech earlier in gusts helping to auto-depower the rig (like surfsails are a good example for).

i think the profile of the godall taipan 4.9 sails are anyhow quite flat in the top, so prolonging the shape could work and one might need some harder battens?

any experience sailmaker around to comment on this?
could be a low-cost option instead of buying a new sail ... :-)

Dirk A-Cat GER 5 F-16 CHN 1 (sold) SC 6.5 CHN 808
Re: some sailmakers around? [Re: Dirk] #53855
08/02/05 11:53 PM
08/02/05 11:53 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
The "new" A class sails have increased the square top so much that, not only do some of them actually have no roach at all, I have seen one new A class sail that’s leech is actually slightly concave. The guys sailing them swear that is exactly what they do - increase the usable area in light airs and twist off better with more gust control in the heavier stuff. Surely the Taipans could "optimise" their sail cut for F16 (as opposed to "one design") by having their mainsails cut with a larger square top, from my personal observations, I think that their performance would only improve with such a change?

Back on topic [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #53856
08/03/05 01:52 AM
08/03/05 01:52 AM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
The "new" A class sails have increased the square top so much that, not only do some of them actually have no roach at all, I have seen one new A class sail that’s leech is actually slightly concave. The guys sailing them swear that is exactly what they do - increase the usable area in light airs and twist off better with more gust control in the heavier stuff.

That's exactly what's been going on in windsurfing...see attached.

Attached Files
54686-naishsail.JPG (335 downloads)

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: some sailmakers around? [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #53857
08/03/05 02:19 AM
08/03/05 02:19 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
I spoke with a sailmaker about converting a Tornado pinhead to a squaretop a couple of years ago. He did not want to do it, and he tought it was a bad idea.
A friend asked Ullman sails Sicily the same, and they said sure. Turned out that they did not want/could not do it either, and sold him a nice repaired square top instead (Nothing wrong with Ullman Sicily, gave a really good price).

If I was to try this (I am _not_ a sailmaker), I would have buildt a new top section for the sail instead of just adding cloth.
I see several problems with this, one is knowing how much broadseaming is buildt into the old sail and how much draft the luff-curve makes, and making the two match in the new top.
Old and new cloth have different properties, so expect some trouble there as well.

For an example of how bad a conversion/repair can be, look at the link below. These guys had a new leach installed, and it's not backwinding..
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=362479

Could be a fun little experiment to convert an old mainsail during the winter, without expecting to much from it..

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 697 guests, and 170 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022