Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
T
Tom Korz Offline OP
addict
Tom Korz  Offline OP
addict
T

I am in favor of a 5kt minimum at big events NA's. World's, etc.

Without it there are too many times the results are skewed by luck not skill.

Just my opinion.

Let's here what Y'all think.

Oh yeah I am a Lake Sailor from Upstate NY FYI

Lake sailor's fleet web page

Attached Files
55282-avtr.jpg (217 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54925
08/11/05 12:04 PM
08/11/05 12:04 PM
Commerce, MI
tigerboy1 Offline
journeyman
tigerboy1  Offline
journeyman

Commerce, MI
Tommy...

Ceases to amaze me that the RC's will conduct a "race" in drifter conditions. As you said...it's luck not skill. You gota have the energy source to propel the boats. I'm all for the 5 knot minimum (at EACH mark) for racing. On the other side of the spectrum...should there be a top end limit?

Johnny Escalade

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54926
08/11/05 12:12 PM
08/11/05 12:12 PM
Ohio
T
TeamTeets Offline
enthusiast
TeamTeets  Offline
enthusiast
T

Ohio
If you start down that road then you would also have to include a maximum... so that results are not skewed by crew weight over skill.

There are racers, for whatever reason, who excel in light air conditions. Same for heavy air. Some even excel at both extemes while appear just average in the middle.

The wind range racing of the Americas Cup has lead to a narrowing of the boat technology and quite frustrating weather watching. Seems like a bad model to follow.

Mike, Ohio
Former H16, H18, N20, N17, M4.3
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54927
08/11/05 12:19 PM
08/11/05 12:19 PM
Panama City Beach, FL
steveh Offline
steveh  Offline

Panama City Beach, FL
I know nothing about racing at any level, but I always found that ghosting took a lot more skill and concentration on my mono. Fun? Not so much. Where does luck play into it?

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54928
08/11/05 12:24 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
The Tornado class will not start races if it's below 6 knots or above 25. A race will be abandoned if the wind drops below 3 knots for 15 minutes, or if the wind shifts significantly and precludes fair sailing.

Ref: http://www.tornado.org/html/rules.asp , Appendix C.

I think these are sensible rules.. (I dont know if a protest on a significant wind shift that precludes fair sailing have won yet)

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: TeamTeets] #54929
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
I have seen many events that would have NO racing going on under those rules. And folks come from a long way to these events.., to go home without a race at all would be terrible.
And even in dice-throwing winds, it seems the top sailors always still manage to do well.

By using those types of guidelines for the RC, you can easily paint yourself into a corner. A couple of years ago I was PRO for the Tornado Nationals (I think that was what they were) in Biscayne Bay.
The wind started out pretty decently and I set a weather mark at around 1.25 miles, but the wind dropped off to just above the miniumum of 5 knots. We were constantly taking readings to insure we stuck to the rules.
In order to make the race stick, I shortened the next weather mark to around 1/2 mile. The first boat rounded the weather mark and made the finish line when the air totally dropped to under the minimum.
Under their rules guidelines I could not abandon the race at that point -- we already had a finisher. And there was now a time limit for the rest of the boats.
Typical of the class, most of the fleet asked for redress. I appeared in a hearing before a jury and explained that I would have loved to abandoned the race, but the class rules themselves made it impossible for me to do so. The jury ruled in favor of keeping the race.
I conducted the race exactly to the classes standards.., and they were all ticked off about it.
Sorry, I did not write the rules, just lived by them.

Now, this is exactly what you can get yourself into.., and it is not a pretty picture. Best bet is to be sure you have a PRO that will use his/her own discretion and make good decisions so everyone is happy.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: RickWhite] #54930
08/11/05 12:28 PM
08/11/05 12:28 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
and make good decisions so everyone is happy.

Uh, I dont think that's possible, making everyone happy

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: steveh] #54931
08/11/05 12:37 PM
08/11/05 12:37 PM
Syracuse,N.Y
pbisesi Offline
enthusiast
pbisesi  Offline
enthusiast

Syracuse,N.Y
At a 5 day national event there should never be a race run in under 5 knots. At a weekend regatta you may be forced to do so in order to get any racing in. At the F18's they have 5 races in, they have a throw out, why have bad races. As far as too much wind. If the chase boats can keep up and everyone is safe, then race. I found at the 16's in CA that the wind and waves together are more of an issue. Also have seen teams from PUR,MEX,BRA,AUS have no trouble with the 20+ knots and big waves.

Pat Bisesi Fleet 204
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: pbisesi] #54932
08/11/05 12:48 PM
08/11/05 12:48 PM
T
Tom Korz Offline OP
addict
Tom Korz  Offline OP
addict
T

One of the conditions that we accept as sailors is the fact that at certain times there just might not be raceable wind. If you race long enough you WILL get skunked eventually. Alter Cup 2004 is a prime example.

I have no problem driving/flying across the counrty or where ever and then having to hang out to wait for wind. Hey it happens.

Don't frog up a series by being desperate to get "anything" in. Garbage races are just that and I would not go back to a Clubs venue if they consitantly run races in zeyphers (sp) I feel that it shows poor race management!!!

As far as it taking more skill to sail in light air, all I say is that it takes great skill to consistanly sail fast in all conditions.

Check out the Windgate Video on the site it is hilarious

Now if we could just get some scores.........

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54933
08/11/05 12:55 PM
08/11/05 12:55 PM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
I am huge proponent in favor of the 5 knot min to start a race.

If the conditions deteriorate after the start, I also feel it is the race committees responsability to try and complete any race that was fairly started. If this involves the complete shut down of the wind they may not be able to do this, but if it is dying or drasticaly vering, they can change or shorten course and still salvage the effort that has already been put out by the competitors.

My take anyway

Matt

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54934
08/11/05 01:51 PM
08/11/05 01:51 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Holding a race in less than 4-5kts is like having a car race without gasoline.

Attached Files
55299-Picture 094.jpg (98 downloads)

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: ejpoulsen] #54935
08/11/05 04:40 PM
08/11/05 04:40 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
I agree that longer events (3+ days) should have a minimum (and possibly a maximum), but short events (1-2 days), should not be under such a limit. Sometimes it takes a little more than luck to win in light air....

Oh yeah, I guess Spring Fever would be out for the most part then? (except for the last day!)

Trey
N20 314
Layline Rigging
www.velocitysailing.com

Trey
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: NCSUtrey] #54936
08/11/05 10:46 PM
08/11/05 10:46 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
Hey guys, you sail races to test your abilities as a "sailor" first and foremost. That means taking the greatest advantage of the PREVAILING conditions to actually sail a prescribed course in the shortest time. The fact that there are other boats on the course is in reality, superfluous. The "true sailor/racer" treats all other boats on the water as nothing more than obstacles to keep clear of, or at best, wind indicators, and not really as "competition" as the only thing that you are really "competing" against is your own natural ability to make errors on the water. Every race should be a personal test in eliminating the errors that you do make, with the object of eventually sailing the "perfect race" Of course, no matter how well you do sail, you know that "if only I had done this" or "if only I had done that" you would have sailed a much better race (even if you are the best sailor ever created by god you could never sail the “perfect race”) If you eliminate more of your mistakes than everyone else sailing eliminates their’s, then you naturally win as a by product, but “winning” in itself should not be the source of your satisfaction with a race that you happened to “cross the line first” in, satisfaction should come from your successfully improving your “on the water abilities” (become truly “in tune” with nature)
To even dream of becoming a truly competent sailor you have to be able to take every advantage offered in EVERY wind and water condition that it is possible to race in, and you can never do this if you set limits to the type of conditions that you are prepared to test yourself in (unless you actually are god), - if you never race in wind strengths below 5 knots you will never be ABLE to race in winds below 5 knots.
All the sailors that I have met that complain about races held in 5 knots minus, have generally been guys that sail poorly in the light airs and more often than not will not persevere in those races, but pull out instead part way through and complain about the race committees decision to continue the race. You never hear the guy that won that light air race complain about the conditions, he was usually concentrating to much on successfully keeping his boat moving towards the finish line to even think about complaints.

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54937
08/11/05 10:48 PM
08/11/05 10:48 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm all for not having a race in under 5 knots of wind. However, as it pertains to this event, we had 5 knots of breeze. The RC was overthrown by testimony from sailors because the RC couldn't prove there was over 5 knots from an electronic instrument - and THAT I have a problem with. We had a very fair race. Boats went left, boats went right. There were no major holes and we all gathered again at the mark with neither side showing more strength. We split with two boats at the C Gate and came right back together in the same positions at Amark. The SI's state that (and I'm paraphrasing) there should be 5 knots of wind at the start of the race as determined by the race committee. The race was tossed because the race committe couldn't prove that there was 5 knots or better and the 7 teams in the first (closed) protest testified that they experienced less breeze. The times around the race course were very close to what a race run in 5 knots would be (there was also current to be considered). The scary thing is that the sailors testimony was taken above that of the RC. The end result of our file for redress, to have the race reinstated, was that we were told that the RC couldn't prove that there was more than 5 knots of breeze. What they failed to consider is that he couldn't prove that there was less either. Once more, "as determined by the race comittee" - didn't say they have to have a digital indicator. They took a digital reading as a breeze was coming down the bay 15 minutes before and felt they had it at the start. What more do you want? 22 teams felt that it was a good race (and not all of them come out ahead if the race is reinstated) - 7 did not and they won.

Darryl, I just saw your post and I could not agree more. The sailors that won that race were predominantly lake sailors and knew how to sail it and keep speed. I also find it horendous that I hear the decision to throw out the race also used the current standings in that most of the folks that were in the top (and were protesting) did poorly in that particular race...hence they determined that it couldn't have been a fair race. GRRRRRR. Naturally, I'm upset because it really hurt me in the standings - I had a 5th in that race. I attribute most of our performance to the fact that the last three regattas I've been to had LESS wind that that. We established that nobody complained to any race committee on the course during the start, the general recall, the restart, any rounding, or the finish. Only later, after hitting the beach (after the finish) did the complaints begin.

Jake Kohl
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Jake] #54938
08/11/05 11:15 PM
08/11/05 11:15 PM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
Jake when a sailor’s ONLY concern in racing is "winning at all costs” they become confused about the true meanings of sailing and create complications for every one. If winning was all there was to sailing races then "all becomes fair" down to deliberate use of the "rules" to purposely position themselves to disadvantage other sailors just because they could, and the classic when they don't do well (or win) "lets take it to the jury room and get the race thrown out". Sailors who are not prepared to stand or fall simply by their own sailing abilities really do miss out on the true joys that are there for any one who wants to sail and to understand what sailing is really all about. I feel sorry for people who confuse yacht racing with simply winning. Everyone who sails in a yacht race, regardless of where they finish, should “be a winner”
There is something very “Zen” about sailing races.

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #54939
08/12/05 03:15 AM
08/12/05 03:15 AM
Cheshire, UK
Simon Offline
Simon  Offline

Cheshire, UK
Darryl,

I couldn't agree more. Furthermore, races should not be thrown out because some competitors misunderstood the SIs or briefing, or in the case of low wind, simply disagree with the RC. I've noticed that it is the 'top' sailors who will protest under these conditions. I can never see how their complaint stands up, when half the competitors sailed as instructed, or made it round the course, etc. I also dislike the 'anything goes' attitude to winning - it is about doing the best you can on the course, not what you can achieve by arguing.

Simon
Shadow 067
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54940
08/12/05 05:17 AM
08/12/05 05:17 AM
Thailand
Buccaneer Offline
veteran
Buccaneer  Offline
veteran

Thailand
Yes please and minimum crew weights while we're at it. Those little biddy light weight crews are always getting lucky when there’s no wind.

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005
Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Buccaneer] #54941
08/12/05 05:32 AM
08/12/05 05:32 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Depends. If it is light wind with chop, often the heavyweight crews will do better than the lightweight crews.

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54942
08/12/05 07:04 AM
08/12/05 07:04 AM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
Sorry Tom, but I disagree about the 5k limit. There are too many weekend regattas where we would be waiting for the ideal conditions...I know you said the big National Events, but I doubt if these could ever be rescheduled too.

The other end is the maximum winds. Is it fair to start a race in 25k plus?

Wyatt

Re: Let's hear some opinions.... [Re: Tom Korz] #54943
08/12/05 07:39 AM
08/12/05 07:39 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I am in favor of a 5kt minimum at big events NA's. World's, etc.

I disagree, there should only one consideration. Is the wind "relatively" stable in direction and strength. Strength has nothing to do with it.

Without it there are too many times the results are skewed by luck not skill.

This is the typical argument of the boys that like big winds. However for some reason it is always the same crews that do well in the light stuff, they must have consistantly more luck than other crews, right ?

Light wind sailing is an art form in it self. You can't just blast off to a side and cover the fleet. You have to spot the favoured sides and spot the currents. You'll have to look for clean air alot more than in medium winds and just be really good in trimming your. All very much skill related things, luck is only linked to unexpected major windshifts or the wind dying/building on you or your opponent. When the wind situation across the course is stable (and this allows the existance of a favoured side) than the final results are strongly skill related and fair.

Personally I'm a sailor from a heavy winded area but I've learned to appreciate the lighter winds alot more of the years. Simply because skill is so much more important in these conditions.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022