RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
We got this email:
Subject: Fw: Katrin and the Gulf Yachting Association

To my Sailing friends near and far:
Katrina has delivered a major blow to the Gulf Yachting Association. John Matthews lives in Pensacola. I am not sure what his data sources are but there is little contact with folks west of Pensacola to New Orleans.

All of these clubs were right on or very close to the coast. Our regional championships, The Lipton Cup, held for close to 90 yrs was to be in Bay Wavland YC this coming labor day weekend is obviously canceled. The "Bay" is just to the west of Gulfport, Ms. which has been on the national news a lot. The "unknown"
clubs are either on Mobile bay, New Orleans or on the stretch of coast near Biloxi, Gulfport.

George F. Goodall
1986 Catalina 30 TRBS
"Frantic"
georgeg305@cox.net
----- Original Message -----

It appears that the following GYA member clubs have suffered a total loss or significant damage to their club:

Southern Yacht Club (destroyed by fire) [New Orleans]
Gulfport Yacht Club
Biloxi Yacht Club
Pass Christian Yacht Club [just west of Gulfport]
Pontchartrain YC [north shore of Lake Ponchetrain]
South Shore YC[New Orleans]
New Orleans YC
Pascagoula YC
Buccaneer YC [Mobile Bay]
Mobile YC
Fairhope YC [Mobile Bay-eastern shore]
Bay Waveland YC

Unknown is Tammany YC[Lake Ponchetrain-north shore], Singing River YC, [Pascagoula, Ms.]Lake Forest YC,[Mobile Bay-eastern shore] Long Beach YC,[just wst of Gulfport] and Ocean Springs YC [just east of Biloxi]

If any of you have heard anything about these clubs please let everyone know. Truly a devastating blow to the GYA.

John

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: More on Katrina [Re: RickWhite] #56325
08/31/05 09:29 AM
08/31/05 09:29 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Long Beach and OSYC is no longer there...

Clayton

Re: More on Katrina [Re: RickWhite] #56326
08/31/05 10:02 AM
08/31/05 10:02 AM
South Florida
SOMA Offline
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline
enthusiast

South Florida
No Words....

I never imagined something so major could happen in the US, by a storm no less.

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
Re: More on Katrina [Re: SOMA] #56327
08/31/05 04:33 PM
08/31/05 04:33 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
No Words....

I never imagined something so major could happen in the US, by a storm no less.

Imagine this, The same thing could happen next week in another spot or the same spot. We are just entering the active part of the season.

Have Fun
Re: More on Katrina [Re: catman] #56328
08/31/05 08:00 PM
08/31/05 08:00 PM
South Florida
SOMA Offline
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline
enthusiast

South Florida
Yes, That's true. I remember reading, though, that the chances of taking a direct hit from a Hurricane are something like 1 in 1,000,000. Does anyone have any back up info for this?

The fact that this could happen again in a week is scary!

Be good,

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
Re: More on Katrina [Re: SOMA] #56329
08/31/05 11:43 PM
08/31/05 11:43 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
Jimbo  Offline
J

About a century ago, the gulf coast of the US was hit very regularly. Then again during the 1920's and 30's. But that was a long time ago, so we forget. At least we have the great advantage of advanced warning. Accurate prediction is still elusive, though. I'm still bewildered that so many chose to ride out the storm instead of just leaving by any means available. It's like everyone forgot how wrecked So Fl was after Andrew. But then I did the same thing with Andrew back in '92. I had never been in a cat 4 'cane; I did'nt know any better. I'll never do that again! And we only got a couple of days warning with Andrew; they thought it would break up on Thursday but it was pounding us by Sunday.

All weather phenomena is cyclic. Some cycles are short, annually or by decades. Some cycles are centuries long. All seem most assuredly tied to solar activity cycles. This includes the small but steady rise in global average temperature seen over the last 400 years.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6270

It is likely that we find ourselves in the midst of an active tropical cycle that will last most of our lifetimes, as it did in our grandparents day. The next generation that lives in the lull will probably forget again. So the cycle continues...

Jimbo

Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jimbo] #56330
09/01/05 07:39 AM
09/01/05 07:39 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Katrina has managed to shutdown one of the major fuel supply pipelines to North Carolina and the south.

Gas is sitting at $3.50 a gallon here, and the pumps are running dry. Talking to a friend who is a station manager, he said that the companies will not make any promises as to when the next deliveries will take place. Some stations have already closed up as the tanks have run completely dry.

Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jimbo] #56331
09/02/05 12:51 AM
09/02/05 12:51 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
Katrina is the first of the big 'global warming' hurricanes to come. There will more storms like this in the future.

Before you start ranting Rush Limbaugh quotes, go to the National Snow and Ice Data Center and see what REAL scientists say about global warming: www.nsidc.org

National Snow and Ice Data Center

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jeff Peterson] #56332
09/04/05 09:26 PM
09/04/05 09:26 PM
South Florida
SOMA Offline
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline
enthusiast

South Florida
You mean Rush ISN'T a real scientist?????? He is entertaining though!

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jeff Peterson] #56333
09/05/05 01:08 AM
09/05/05 01:08 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
Jimbo  Offline
J

Katrina is the first of the big 'global warming' hurricanes to come. There will more storms like this in the future.

Global warming has been with us for 400-500 years. Centuries ago, the Thames river froze year round for so long that many buildings were erected upon the ice(!). The earth, it is believed, has been emerging from a "little ice age" during that 400-500 years.

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/lia/little_ice_age.html

The warming observed within the 20th century falls onto that trendline.

Some people think that human activity, which is responsible for somewhere between .5 and 1.5% of the total 'greenhouse' gases estimated to be in the atmosphere, have caused this warming, and that this warming is therefore an industrial age phenomena. There are several real technical problems with this particular viewpoint, among them the rather poor correlation between the level of atmospheric greenhouse gases observed in the geological record and the estimated surface temperature corresonding to the respective time periods, the widely varying amount of natural greenhouse gases (variations which far exceed the total contribution of human activity), and lack of a clear understanding of how greenhouse gases actually behave in the real atmosphere(like the water vapor feedback problem), and the imperfect surface temperature estimations, based as they were on flawed data.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/922376/posts

This leads to very inaccurate mathematical modeling of these phenomena, which is OK as long as we are only theorizing and not trying to make important decisions based on such flawed models.

The cosmic ray thoery certainly correlates far better with the gelogical record.

http://tinyurl.com/9mufe

Many "real scientists" believe the greenhouse gas theory is not plausible.

http://tinyurl.com/axkzk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lindzen

Actually, even the "land usage change" theory is more plausible than the "greenhouse gas" theory.

http://www.discover.com/educators-guide/jan-04/guide3

The proponents of the greehouse gas theory tend to downplay the importance of volcanism even though such activity does produce climatologically significant amounts of both greehouse gases and particulates. This is yet another a big technical problem with this theory. The contribution of soot is yet another one.

If this theory were such a 'slam dunk', there would really be no room for debate. That is far from the reality. The reality is that as science learns more about climate, the greenhouse gas/global warming theory seems less plausible, not more.

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=33083

This last one is long but VERY good. Here's a short quote:

"A great deal of global warming rhetoric gives the impression that science has established beyond doubt that the recent warming is mostly due to human activities. But that has not been established. Though human use of fossil fuels might contribute to global warming in the future, there’s no hard scientific evidence that it is already doing so, and the difficulty of establishing a human contribution by empirical observation is formidable. One would need to detect a very small amount of warming caused by human activity in the presence of a much larger background of naturally occurring climate change—a search for the proverbial needle in a haystack."

Jimbo

Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jimbo] #56334
09/05/05 09:22 AM
09/05/05 09:22 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Jimbo,
That was really interesting! Thanks for taking the time to give us some background. I always figured it wasn't the slam-dunk that Algore said it was (sorry Al, I know if you hadn't invented the internet we wouldn't EVEN be able to be having this discussion!). I look forward to hearing more from both sides of the discussion but I think you are correct.......the evidence is too skimpy, and getting skimpier, to make drastic policy judgements that seem premature. To postulate that this is the first of the global warming hurricanes is ridiculous, it seems to me. Chicken little, Chicken little.......

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jimbo] #56335
09/05/05 09:44 AM
09/05/05 09:44 AM
Panama City Beach, FL
steveh Offline
steveh  Offline

Panama City Beach, FL
Did you just seriously use a freeper forum thread as a reference?

I'd feel a lot better about it all if the correlation between sea levels and some global average of temperature were purely linear. Unfortunately, the sea level contribution from the West Antarctic Ice Sheet can be highly nonlinear.

Re: More on Katrina [Re: bullswan] #56336
09/05/05 07:40 PM
09/05/05 07:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
Jimbo  Offline
J

To postulate that this is the first of the global warming hurricanes is ridiculous, it seems to me.

Nothing that I've posted so far contradicts this asssertion. It may well be true. We are in a period of global climate change wherein the earth is warming up. But then we have always been in a period of global climate change since the earth's climate has always been in a state of flux. The current warming trend may indeed lead to stronger tropical storms. Or maybe not. But either way there is little evidence that human activity is responsible for the climate change.

Jimbo

Re: More on Katrina [Re: Jeff Peterson] #56337
09/05/05 08:32 PM
09/05/05 08:32 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
"Global Warming Hurricanes"

Where do you get this sh*t?

I'm sure the people who were affected by Camille would have loved to have known what global warming was and why it was blowing their homes all to hell.

What a bunch of tree-hugging alarmist bullcrap.

Re: More on Katrina [Re: MauganN20] #56338
09/05/05 09:45 PM
09/05/05 09:45 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
"Global Warming Hurricanes"

I'm sure the people who were affected by Camille would have loved to have known what global warming was and why it was blowing their homes all to hell.

What a bunch of tree-hugging alarmist bullcrap.

NO! Katrina was the FIRST of many Global Warming Hurricanes according to the earlier poster. When Camille whacked those poor people it wasn't important to anyone hoping to further their agenda. Sorry. While I'm on the subject, (sort of) I hate it when these people take a tragedy like this and try to further their race-baiting agendas as well. Can't you put that aside till we at least recover the sick and injured?!?!?

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: More on Katrina [Re: bullswan] #56339
09/05/05 10:29 PM
09/05/05 10:29 PM
League City, TX
flumpmaster Offline
addict
flumpmaster  Offline
addict

League City, TX
how bout those cat sailors eh?....

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules
Re: More on Katrina [Re: bullswan] #56340
09/05/05 10:53 PM
09/05/05 10:53 PM
Salt Lake City, UT
utahsailor Offline
journeyman
utahsailor  Offline
journeyman

Salt Lake City, UT
Katrina was a real tragedy. A region I was about to visit (and perhaps sail in), where friends and family live, is reduced to rubble. Far worse, people have died in what turned out to be a worse disaster than 9/11. Whether it was a fluke, or the beginning of a new era in caribbean climate, only time will tell. Either way, New Orleans will not be the same again, not for a long time.

If there has to be lefty finger-pointing, we shouldn't yet focus on speculation on global warming effects - which may prove true, but currently are speculation until Katrina becomes a regular occurrence. The real outrage is our nation's inability protect a major domestic metropolis from a Cat 4 hurricane. When both the Army Corps of Engineers and New Orleans Corps of Engineers were massively short-budgeted by the feds in 03 and 04 to help subsidize Iraq; when they decided that Cat 3 protection was sufficient because that's all they had funding for; and when a state's national guard is drafted into active military duty in a foreign country and not enough guardsmen are serving at home... THAT is an outrage.

The "war on terror" (or whatever it really is) isn't the only obstacle America faces. And for this reason, I DO blame this disaster at least partially on the Bush administration. They need to get their priorities straight.

Re: More on Katrina [Re: utahsailor] #56341
09/05/05 11:43 PM
09/05/05 11:43 PM
Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Brian_Mc Offline
old hand
Brian_Mc  Offline
old hand

Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Utah, Regardless of political views, or whether humans are influencing the global warming that is taking place,or if that impacted this storm, what gets me too, is that the government knew this was going to happen in N.O.(I refer to the flooding, and not this particular storm) All of them knew it was coming. The locals to the Feds of both parties. Typically, nobody in the government would own up and begin to take responsibility in the situation. Then to top it off, we, the United States couldn't muster a better evacuation? That is too pathetic! It is a crime. But that is the way so much of our business is conducted today. No thought of cosequence to others, only personal gain or loss. Maybe Katrina's wakeup call will do some good. I sure hope so! In contrast, I sure am proud of many Americans and their responses. Just look at those Teaxas City guys!

Re: More on Katrina [Re: Brian_Mc] #56342
09/06/05 06:24 AM
09/06/05 06:24 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
I think what it points out is that NO government can make us 100% safe.....EVER. The money that it would take to try would be unimaginable. More than I'm willing to give up in taxes, I know that. I hope Brian is right that this serves as a wake-up call but not that government needs to do more... rather that we have to not look to government to do EVERYTHING from cradle to grave. There are some things government (local, state, feds) must do but a hell of a lot of things it can't do very well. And that is Democrat, Republican, Left, Right, whatever..... Governments like ours is not a fast response entity. Nor is it very good at forecasting storms apparently.

Re: More on Katrina [Re: bullswan] #56343
09/06/05 08:03 AM
09/06/05 08:03 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Oh I love how this bit of drivel gets spilled on my lap. I'm trying to further MY agenda by shooting down some screwball environmental conspiracy theory?

My point about Camille (which is my dear Mother's name, btw) is that it was a much more powerful hurricane yet this one was the first of the "big bad super-kaboom global warming" hurricanes.

Please.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 106 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022