10/07/05 09:48 AM
10/07/05 09:48 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
I am looking for feedback on the Ball and Keyhole trapeze hookup system.

-How easy is it to hook/unhook from the wire?

-any harness related issues?

-how do you like it overall? Would you purchase the same again?

-Any advice?

Hopefully we`ll hear from Jaime (In the dessert!) on this one. I believe this is the system he uses.

Dave

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Ball and Keyhole trapeze hookup? [Re: Captain_Dave] #58569
10/07/05 01:58 PM
10/07/05 01:58 PM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
MMMMMMM dessert... (/Homer Simpson)

Only having used the "hook" style once on somebody else's boat, I can't comment on the relative speed between the styles. Being used to the keyhole system it doesn't take me long to hook in. Unless my shirt comes un-tucked because as I mentioned in a different post if that happens then it tends to bunch up in the keyhole. OTOH the one time I used the hook style I put a hole in my shirt with it so I guess ya takes yer chances.

I bought two harnesses, one for me and one for the little lady; same style. Another advantage of they keyhole type is that people with hook harnesses can still hook onto the ring (if you get the "can't miss" style.)

I'm thinking about attaching a hook to a ball with some epoxy so that if I'm going on other peoples' boats I can use my harness and just duct-tape (or something) the ball-hook into my keyhole (so to speak); if you know what I mean.

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Ball and Keyhole trapeze hookup? [Re: JaimeZX] #58570
10/07/05 02:42 PM
10/07/05 02:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Jaime,

Yes... "DESSERT" was definitely a Homer move! I think that is the second time I have incorrectly spelled "desert" in reference to you. Heck, two or three more posts like that and I`ll have you popping out of a cake or something! - Yup, there`s that Jaime guy - into the cake again! -Doh! Perhaps I am writing too close to the dinner hour.

As for the ball and keyhole thing (I knew what you meant - I hope). There are two reasons I am looking at it. (1) It SEEMS a little safer insofar that it appears less likely to get caught up in things - since I mostly sail solo and have already been drowned unconscious twice (no joke) you can appreciate my concern in this regard. (2) The low profile of the Keyhole attachment is less likely to make a mess of my newly finished hulls. I have heard that the traditional hooks can really dent/gouge hulls when reboarding after a capsize. However, with very little harness experience, I am not sure how much of a problem this really is.

Dave

Re: Ball and Keyhole trapeze hookup? [Re: Captain_Dave] #58571
10/07/05 02:53 PM
10/07/05 02:53 PM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
Sure. Well consider this: my understanding of how people almost drown is that a shroud or line gets wrapped around the hook so they can't surface. With the ball-and-keyhole if the line gets wrapped around the wire holding the ball... who cares?

Also, I know some people climb out of the water onto the hull butt-first in sort of a reverse-scooting motion, but my wife and I throw our arms over the hull and pull our bellies up onto it and then put a knee up and then climb onto the tramp.
If you're the reverse-butt-scooting type then what kind of harness you have won't matter, but if you crawl on like we do then you'll have to be very careful if you have a hook. And I know I tend to go for speed rather than care when I'm getting out of cold water.

Good luck, broly.

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Ball and Keyhole trapeze hookup? [Re: JaimeZX] #58572
10/07/05 03:07 PM
10/07/05 03:07 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Jaime,

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022