04/02/02 03:15 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Howdy -

For anyone who might be interested, I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts on how the 4.3 sailed during the Spring Fever Regatta last weekend.

The boat seems well balanced, and it "sails" much bigger than it looks. The hardware is nice and up-to-date tech. My wife and I are small people - I'm about 130 lbs. and she's... well, a good bit less than that. The trampoline never seemed crowded during tacks or gybes, and once I got Leah thinking about "housekeeping" after a turn or rounding, the lines weren't much in the way. The rudders are easy to lock down, and they STAY down - I like the locking mech much better than the Hobie cam system - seems more durable. The crossbar isn't adjustable, but seems to be fine - just a touch of weather helm upwind, very neutral downwind.

The spin sets and snuffs pretty easily - I eliminated some of the metal stuff on the end of the pole (went to spectra), and the bowl is fiberglass instead of carbon - should be easier to repair if it needs it. I need to work on finding the best luff tension and marking the halyard at the cleat to make it apparent when the spin is set.

DON"T PINCH. I'm a pincher, and this skeg boat simply will not point with anything with boards or any uni rigs. As a result, my upwind legs felt PAINFULLY slow - my fault, not the boat's. When Leah would reach over and pinch my leg to get me to drive a little, the boat felt MUCH better.

I have some learning to do downwind with a spin, also. I tried to sail too deep most of the time, and the non-spin boats that I saw at every crossing were testament. Heating it up seems to be a must, though it doesn't "feel" right to me yet.

The committee had us starting in-between some other boats that were quite a contrast - they ranged from the Hobie Wave to the Taipan 4.9s and Nacra 5.2s. Unfortunately, no other 4.3s were racing, so there wasn't anyone to measure performance against... or maybe that was fortunate. My ego is fragile.

Our results for the weekend look bad - it was my first time racing the boat, my wife's first time racing at all, and we brought the boat to Hartwell in pieces. As a consequence, we missed the first race completely (DNS). The second race, I saw us posted as 3rd in class on the preliminary results - didn't see the final results. The third race, we sailed by the committee boat to get the course (course 6), then pulled a rookie mistake - I didn't look at the course board after that - the first start (big boats) got the 6 and our start got a 5... BIG difference. We got a DNF - by the time we figured out what we'd done wrong, we'd have been last anyway. Don't know where we wound up in the 4th race - I caught a glimpse of an elapsed time, but didn't get to see what others in the class had, so the number was meaningless. We pretty much missed that start, anyway - we'd parked down by the pin to talk with our gracious hosts, Nigel and Tammy, when we heard a horn. Figured they were getting ready for the big boats, as we'd been third start for the previous races. We began lazily sailing back toward the committee boat ABOVE the start line, when Leah noticed OUR class flag was up - we were mid-line and going slow with less than a minute to go! We dipped hard and turned all the way around - off the line late, but since we got a time, I guess we dipped enough. It was raining for the whole race, and I was more worried about Leah getting cold than watching my line - we finished pretty far back.

All in all, we had a lot of fun - being a skipper on a small boat instead of crew on a big boat will take some getting used to. Didn't much like sailing in two other fleets' bad air right off the start, but everyone in my start had the same problem to deal with. I'm looking forward to making some of the events where several 4.3s are expected.

Best of all, Leah genuinely enjoyed herself - thanks to everyone who welcomed her to racing the same way I was welcomed years ago. She's just as excited to see everyone at the next event as I'd hoped she'd be. She loves our "little boat" and I can't wait to get it wet again.

John Williams

Mystere 4.3 #75

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Now who's gonna crew for all the rockstars? [Re: John Williams] #5936
04/02/02 04:50 PM
04/02/02 04:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the review of the boat. It's nice to see more boats out there for those of us that don't quite make the 200 lb. mark (by 70 lbs. or so ;-) )

Besides, the sport needs more skippers on small boats, not crews on big boats!

See ya,

Michael C.

Re: Reflections on my new Mystere 4.3 [Re: John Williams] #5937
04/02/02 07:26 PM
04/02/02 07:26 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

John,

Get with me and I'll show you some neat tricks on sailing that "beast" downwind! I'm glad you and Leah had a good time. Talk with you soon!

Bob

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Reflections on my new Mystere 4.3 [Re: Bob_Curry] #5938
04/06/02 06:54 PM
04/06/02 06:54 PM
heavyair14 Offline
heavyair14  Offline

Thanks for posting your opinions about this boat. This information is going to be useful for me when deciding if I am going to sail at Youth Nationals.

Hobie 16 sail #102653
The promise of Youth in our sport. [Re: heavyair14] #5939
04/07/02 10:52 AM
04/07/02 10:52 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Unless you're working against a scheduling conflict, I would urge you to make the Youth Nationals in Port Clinton, Ohio. There is no real substitute for the experience of racing in that kind of situation, buth for fun and to sharpen your skills.

One of the teams that will be coming from Area D is Harry Newkirk and Tommy Fruitticher - these boys (mid-teens) - normally race together on an Inter 18, and have put together a string of impressive finishes, including winning the overall fleet in Biloxi last year. They're a good team, but were very uncertain about going to Ohio and sailing a 14-foot boat. Because they make weight on the 18, they felt they could not possibly be competitive together on a smaller platform. At least, they felt that way until they tried the 4.3. In about 10 knots, they flew a hull easily with one on the trap (my boat only has one wire, but the boats for the Championship are rigged for double trap). Downwind, they had a blast - I got to go out with Harry later in the afternoon, and we stuffed both hulls past the front beam, and the boat recovered beautifully. It really is fun, and seems to not be nearly as weight-sensitive as I thought it would be - light and heavy teams and single-handers seem to be able to handle the boat well.

What else can I say - go, go, go. This is just the beginning of new youth-based initiatives being pursued by US Sailing and other national organizations. The adults in the sailing community are very serious about affording you opportunities like this one - please take advantage of them whenever you can and help keep the future of the sport growing.

And - stay tuned. As was discussed at last October's NAHCA membership meeting, and several times over the last two years by US Sailing, plans are moving forward to have the Youth Championship in conjunction with the Alter Cup as early as next year.

Hope you can make it -

John

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
The REASON this man is smiling! [Re: John Williams] #5940
04/07/02 06:17 PM
04/07/02 06:17 PM
Sweet Home, OR
ScaredyCat Offline
journeyman
ScaredyCat  Offline
journeyman

Sweet Home, OR
[Linked Image]

Mystere 4.3 puts a smile on John W's face! Prepping for Spring Fever 2002!

SC

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 482 guests, and 200 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022