10/21/05 02:44 PM
10/21/05 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This may be of interest - the NZ Olympic Tornado team of McIntosh/Kendall - both former windsurfing world champions and Olympic medalists, who announced their Tornado campaign a few weeks ago - today completed the course of the annual Coastal Classic, a 120 nm race from Auckland to Russell along with 233 keelboats and large multihulls.

http://www.sail-world.com/coastalclassic/index.cfm?Nid=19625&refre=y

Their finish also got a mention in the race coverage over on crew.org.nz .

Mark.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tornado team complete NZ Coastal Classic [Re: ] #59637
10/23/05 01:02 AM
10/23/05 01:02 AM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
Here's a link to the rest of the race details:
http://www.coastalclassic.co.nz/ . Three multihulls were over the line first with the earliest (ROGNTUDJUU), taking 7:43 to complete. Konica Minolta, the new 98 ft maxi set a record for the monos at 8:29.

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Tornado team complete NZ Coastal Classic [Re: ] #59638
10/24/05 04:52 AM
10/24/05 04:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey it's true then,

Old sailboarders retire to catamarans .

They should be a formidable team. More sailing medals amongst them than most, especialy if you count Bruce's coaching medals.

Bruce was one of the most talented Sailboard Racers I ever raced against, at the time he was considered a bit small, most of the top guy's were at least 6' tall and heavier than him but with careful sail size selection, generaly smaller than the others at the front of the fleet, he was able to compete against the big guy's and was the first guy I saw do this on the Aussie circuit.

Good luck to them, but I hope the Aussie's beat them.

Interesting they where able to compete with the big cats till they hit the rough water. The first cat home 60' Crowther built in my home state, is a fast machine I have been on board and raced against the sister ship "Raw Nerve" in OZ, often wondered if they where faster than OTB cats in flat water. But they just don't slow down as much when the conditions get rough, that Crowther 60 design is also faster than most big cats in light winds, so would keep a very good average speed making it tough to beat.

Regards Gary.

Re: Tornado team complete NZ Coastal Classic [Re: ] #59639
10/24/05 07:33 AM
10/24/05 07:33 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
I believe one of the cats up front was a crusing cat sailed by Dennis Conner......

Anyway, Raw Nerve just misses Sydney to Hobart outright record but will try again. see here for story

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?SEID=2&Nid=19635&refre=y

Re: Tornado team complete NZ Coastal Classic [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #59640
10/24/05 09:50 AM
10/24/05 09:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Apparently a windsurfer actually completed the course as well. This from crew.org.nz -

23 Oct - Luke Wigglesworth completed the Auckland to Russell race as an unofficial entrant in the HSBC Coastal Classic. Why unofficial? He wasn't able to meet Cat 3 safety requirements... on a windsurf board. Chris Torckler says that Luke completed the 119nm race in 9 hours and 59 minutes - the second monohull across the line behind Konica Minolta (although of course you won't find that on the official race website!) He has sailed the race three times before, but this is his best effort yet and has been verified on the GPS-Speedsurfing website.

If I read this right, this guy was actually ahead of the Tornado (10 hrs 4 mins).

And yes DC was apparently on this boat (also from c.o.nz) -

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 696 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022