Hop To
winter storage ? #59854
10/27/05 07:34 PM
10/27/05 07:34 PM
Banner Elk, NC
Bill K. Offline OP
Bill K.  Offline OP

Banner Elk, NC
Just curious about some winter storage suggestions. I'm moving to the mtns of NC and may have to take the h16. If so, I plan on taking the tramp and rigging off. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Drain plugs in or out? Boat's 25 years old already and white so I'm not concerned with UV rays just snow and ice.

83' Hobie 16
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: winter storage ? [Re: Bill K.] #59855
10/28/05 04:29 AM
10/28/05 04:29 AM
Denver Colorado
Tinkerntom Offline
stranger
Tinkerntom  Offline
stranger

Denver Colorado
I recently picked up a '77 H16, that had been in storage here in Colorado mtns since '97. The hulls had a lot of water in them which I find is a major contributor to delamination of the foam core. In the cool air, the moisture in the foam condenses and keeps the humidity inside the hull at 100%. You can dump the bilge water out after sailing, but there is still a lot of water in the hull.

The only solution is ventilating the hulls, which I accomplished by cutting hull ports. I left the lids off, and after a day there is no apparent moisture in the bottom. I hope that come Spring, the hulls will have dried out and become considerably lighter as well. And no more delam problems if that is not too much to ask!

Other issues I am still learning about, and I have covered the whole boat with a vinyl tarp, that is set up to shed snow loads that can weigh 100's of lbs. All the weight on the boat is concentrated in the small surface area in contact with the trailer rollers. This is the point where most Hobie hull damage occurs. My hull had a large hole broke into the bottom when I got it. This especially occurs when you are on the boat, on the trailer stepping the mast, and getting set to sail, or derigging.

Hobie makes some device to spread out the weight over a larger area, but I am making some large wooden blocks to put between the hull and roller, that is foam covered. I will use these when in storage, while traveling and setting up, and only remove them when ready to actually launch the boat. I hope to save my hull further damage, and myself the time to repair them. I would rather be sailing.

One other area I am not yet sure of, is the vinyl tramp. The nylon straps are long deteriorated, but the vinyl itself is not torn or holed. I expect that it is the original tramp, and I wonder how long they are expected to last if left out in the UV. I would not want to get out in the water and have the tramp fall apart, so I expect that I should replace it. I think you are probably smart to remove yours. Same for rigging, since the UV seems to really get after the nylon pulleys and sheets and lines! My sails and sheets were in a sail tube and seem to be ok! But I expect they should be rinsed good and dried since I don't know that the previous owner did any marginal maintence.

The mast, especially if comptip can be affected by UV as well, so should be covered, and the rudders as well.

I also plan to block up the trailer and cover the tires, since when I got mine the tires were all flat and weather checked. Since you have it blocked up, pull the hubs, and check for moisture in the bearings that could rust, especially if its been in the salt water, and relub to be ready come Spring. Maybe even rinse the whole frame off if been in the salt water, which can continue eating away at the frame and electrical during the out of water time!

Others I am sure have further suggestions, and like you, I would be very interested in hearing how I can take good care of my cat. I am a tinkerer, and a fixer, but mostly I like to play and have fun, and having to do those things can be fun, but usually interfere with the real fun. TnT

Re: winter storage ? [Re: Tinkerntom] #59856
10/28/05 07:47 AM
10/28/05 07:47 AM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I have had an H16 and TheMightyHobie18 in New England. The TheMightyHobie18 had been there for 20 years before I bought it. The previous owner and myself stored teh boats the same way. Take the tramp, sails, and rigging inside. Leave the plugs open. If you have ports in your hulls cover them with something that will still allow air to circulate, but keep rain and snow out. This will help keep them dry inside (I also trailer with the hull ports open if it is not raining). With the tramp removed, there isn't much area for the snow to collect so I never worried about the extra weight.

My comptip has been uncovered for more than 20 yeras and is doing fine. I never bother with this one. Just keep it painted so the glass doesn't show through and it will not have any structural problems. My tramp is the orginial, has been stored outside during sailing season and I will finally have to replace it. My boat is an '82. The hiking straps go long before the vinyl does. The Hobie factory tramps are really sturdy. I also know some people who just unlace the tramp and let it hang off the fram over the winter. Vinyl gets brittle when it gets cold so I usually avoid this just to be safe.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: winter storage ? [Re: hobienick] #59857
10/28/05 08:29 AM
10/28/05 08:29 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
I like the suggestion to block up the trailer.
I cover my boat with a blue poly tarp. With no tree leaves out, the boat can get a lot of winter UV.
Drain the hulls every so often.

Re: winter storage ? [Re: CMerrell] #59858
10/28/05 05:35 PM
10/28/05 05:35 PM
Banner Elk, NC
Bill K. Offline OP
Bill K.  Offline OP

Banner Elk, NC
Nick,
You said "leave the plugs open". Will water not enter into those holes from rain or snow and settle in the hull? If it did I know it would eventually evaporate or freeze. My hulls are solid and have no leaks or water in them and I know that they breath through the tubes in the pylons. I see the point of leaving the plugs out (for more air circulation), but still feel like I'd be better off with them in. Is this a valid argument? I definitely don't won't a delam problem in the future.

83' Hobie 16
Re: winter storage ? [Re: Bill K.] #59859
10/29/05 01:49 AM
10/29/05 01:49 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
I leave the plugs out, until rain is predicted,then put them back in. When the sun comes out, the plugs are removed. I figure this allows the hull to dry completely. When the first snow is predicted, the plugs go back in, and if the snow cover is permanent, the plugs stay in until next years first sail.

If you want to take NO CHANCES, store your hulls out of the weather with the plugs out.

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: winter storage ? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #59860
10/30/05 03:56 PM
10/30/05 03:56 PM
Denver Colorado
Tinkerntom Offline
stranger
Tinkerntom  Offline
stranger

Denver Colorado
I got to thinking of something else. I bought my boat damaged, having blown over at one of the local mast-up dry boat storage lots near Boulder Res. The res. is known for getting gust in excess of 100 mph. Evidently a monster gust hit the marina and did lots of damage to many boats, primarily from Hobies flying around. Apparently because the Hobie is lighter, and the tramp design allows the boat to become airborn, trailer and all. The local marina does not allow Hobie storage because of this issue.

Where I winter park the boat, is very exposed to winds, so I used some ground screws at four corners to actually tie the boat down to the ground. If you can park where it is protected from the wind you are probably ok, otherwise we may be seeing pictures of your Hobie in someones treetop! TnT

Last edited by Tinkerntom; 10/30/05 04:09 PM.
Re: winter storage ? [Re: Tinkerntom] #59861
10/31/05 09:08 AM
10/31/05 09:08 AM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
First, about water getting into the open plugs. There are two ways to handle this. One is to run out to the boat everytime it might get wet or snowed on and replace them. The second option is to store the boat with the bows slightly higher than the sterns. This will prevent water from getting into the hulls. I don't bother with either way. The amount of water that will get into your hulls through the drain plugs is minimal unless the storage location floods deep enough to submerge them. I have stored both of my boats like this for years and the hulls are dry in the spring.

Don't forget as the air cools it can hold less moisture so the water condeses out. This will introduce water into the hulls "that wasn't there". Good air circulation will clear this condesation out better.

Now, strong winds and Hobies on trailers. I lived in northern Indiana for about 16 years and had my H16 for the last 3 I was there. I went trhough many tornadoes and strong summer storms. I never tied my trailer or boat down and it never blew over or across anything. I was probably lucky. If you are worried about stong winds in the winter I would remove the tramp (I do this for winter storage no matter how windy it is supposed to get) to lessen the "sail area". Keep the boat tied to the trailer and you should be fine. If you are still worried about it, go to Pet-Co or some other pet supply store and buy 4 of the corkscrew dog tie downs. These will work great. I use them to tie down small airplanes when I fly them into the back country and have to leave them for a few days. If 3 of them can hold a 3600 lb flying machine in place I think 4 will sufficiently hold a Hobie in place.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: winter storage ? [Re: hobienick] #59862
10/31/05 11:19 AM
10/31/05 11:19 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
I have had my Hobie less than a year and I`ve already had the boat lift up in the wind (while secured to trailer), turn 90 degrees and travel about 20 feet. It did this in what was reported to be 60 to 70 mph gusts. Thankfully, there was no damage to the boat or my wifes car - which it missed by less than a foot.

For winter storage, I have the trailer tongue elevated on a saw-horse to drain the hulls (plugs out). The tongue is also up against a fence post to which it is securly tied.

As for tarping, I left the tramp in place and covered the boat with one of those custom Hobie covers. In addition, I secured a 4 ft vertical support (for the mast) on the area of the rear traveller track. The support looks like an inverted "T" made from 2x4`s. It has large, thick rubber pads where it contacts the rear traveller track. This device supports the mast at about the same height as the mast support on the trailer. Once in place, the supported mast creates a central beam down the full length of the boat. Over this entire structure I placed an 18 x 24 foot tarp secured with bungees at every eyelet. At the front of the trailer, the tarp is secured to the ground with bungees using one of those (corkscrew) dog stakes Nick referred to.

Although I have not wintered my Hobie before, I do use the same technique on my 36 footer - and a 28 footer before that - I have never had any problems.

Dave

Re: winter storage ? [Re: Captain_Dave] #59863
10/31/05 04:43 PM
10/31/05 04:43 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
FYI to Will and Jeff,

Our 18 takes on water when sailed (another story) but has been torn down for over a month, rudders removed, ports and plugs open with a tarp over everything except the hulls rear of the crossbar, on the trailer, transoms high in the air. I know the flotation foam has dried because every few days I was lifting the tongue of the trailer up for two or three minutes, letting the water drip out. It stopped dripping about a week ago, and since then it has rained more than once.

I just now walked inside from standing there with the tongue on my shoulder for at least 90 seconds. No water got into the hulls through the drain plugs from the rain. A miniscule amount of water could possibly enter the hull from melting snow, but I would'nt count on it.

John H16, H14

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022