mmiller  Offline OP
veteran

California
California International Sailing Association
Supporting a Generation of Champions
www.cisasailing.org

Nov. 30, 2005

CISA's First Multihull Clinic a Windblown Success

LONG BEACH, Calif.---The winning program that has developed some of America's best sailors over 28 years---the California International Sailing Association's annual Advanced Racing Clinic---has a new version off to a promising start.

CISA's first Multihull Clinic brought 15 select young prospects from around the country to Alamitos Bay Yacht Club over the Thanksgiving weekend for three days of intense instruction by world class competitors. The clinic director was Pete Melvin, current and two-time world A-Cat champion, assisted by Olympic medalists Jay and Pease Glaser and Bob Merrick.

"There's very little youth multihull sailing in this country and no infrastructure for it," Melvin said. "If a young sailor wants to sail multihulls he has to get into an adult class. We're hoping to develop youth multihull fleets around the country."

The 15 students ages 14 to 17 included three girls, one of whom---Sarah Newberry of Florida ---was on the first-place boat in the informal closing regatta on the final day. All sailed a variety of Hobie 16s loaned by the manufacturer and local owners, plus a Hobie Tiger, the Formula 18 with a spinnaker. Skippers and crews switched positions about halfway through the regatta to give everyone a chance to steer and crew, so results were ambiguous.

The second day started with light westerly winds of 6 to 8 knots that switched to northwester lies reaching 20-plus knots---a test for the youngsters, some of whom were catamaran rookies. Although capsizing is often part of the multihull game, the instructors soon beached the fleet.

"We could see sand blowing off the beach," Melvin said. "But the kids had a good time. They wanted to go back out."

Buoyed by the success of the initial Multihull Clinic, CISA plans to make it an annual event on an expanded scale.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Youth training [Re: mmiller] #62123
12/01/05 07:13 PM
12/01/05 07:13 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
I helped out with the CISA clinic as Master Boat Wright. This is the title that Pete gave me. On Saturday and Sunday I brought out my Formula 18 (Tiger) as that is what some of the kids were really intersted in.

Most came from a monohull background and it took a little bit to get them up to speed on the catamarans. I have to say that by the end of the weekend I was really impressed by their abilities. I think that there were several teams that could have sailed really well in the Youth Nationals. I mean really well!

They also wanted to try out the A-Cat that was set up but the wind was a bit too much to let them play on that one. I have talked to a couple of people that have sailed the 29er and the Formula 18 and they prefer the catamaran. Why? Because it is easier. We need to get the Yacht Clubs on board with the program. To do that we need the youth that sail in those venues to get excited about cats.

Later,
Dan

Re: Youth training [Re: Dan_Delave] #62124
12/01/05 09:10 PM
12/01/05 09:10 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hi Dan

Great job helping with the CISA multihull event. IMO, the world class coaching available will be the hook which starts the USA down the high performance path and it along with the Hobie program is the start of something we should all get behind and support as our national program.

BTW, How many kids are racing 29ners on the west coast? The boat is just not happening on the bay. The Chesapeake Bay yacht club which tried to start the class managed 3 boats and then it seems to have folded. The 29ners did a hell of a job on their web site for the worlds this past year... It was an exciting web page and certain to get kids juices flowing. We cat sailing classes need something like it to appeal to the kid market.

What other high performance or even 2 man boat are the kids on out there? We don't see many kids on 420's on the Chesapeake Bay either.... usually its just Lasers.

One thing we have noticed is that while we participate in several annual yacht club events... most of the classes are filled with old farts like ourselves. We really don't see many of the teens on these weekends to even try to seduce onto a high performance boat. (Opti and Penguin sailors are not really the target audience for F18's or even H16's.)

We definitely need to generate an outreach program at two of our newer yacht club regattas where we do see a few more teen's on the water!

Take Care
Mark

crac.sailregattas.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 415 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022