Plucked from the open catsailors forum.

Note : a singlehanded taipan without both a jib and spi is still rated 70 under D-pn and therefor allowed to attent the next race. So in this A-cat-like setup you can race there and all other setups : standard Taipan no jib and every F16 mode (with spi) are faster than 70 D-pn and also allowed to race there.

Posted by Bob Hodges on April 12, 19102 at 12:03:43:

In Reply to: Next major open class regatta for southeast or mid-Atlantic USA? posted by Dave W on April 11, 19102 at 16:31:52:

Hey Guys!

How about the Jazz Fest Regatta on Lake Pontchartrain on May 4-5? This is an OPEN class event for boats with DPN of 70 or less. We expect A-Cats (7 for sure), I-20's, Nacra's, hopefully some H-20's and maybe some Tigers or F-18/F-16 type boats. Mandeville is 3 hours from Pensacola, 4.5 hours from Houston 4.5 hours from Birmingham, a very central location.

The regatta is on the northshore of the lake. Conditions are very challenging open water with 2-3 foot waves when there is wind. There is an excellent storage and launch site, volunteers to handle your beach dollies, excellent food, plenty of motels, great camping at a state park adjacent to the race course (with a launch site at the state park). As a bonus, come 1-2 days early and go to the New Orleans Jazz Festival. Bring the family. The yacht club has a huge lawn and swimming pool and will provide spectator boats for those who want to go out on the water and watch the racing.

Entry fees will be between $30-$35 for doublehanded boats and $20-$25 for singlehanded boats. A fish/chicken/steak cookout will be available at the yacht club on Saturday night.

WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR???????

See my post on this forum today or contact me at bobh79@bellsouth.net for more info or a race flyer.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands