12/13/05 10:35 PM
12/13/05 10:35 PM
Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Cookie Monster Offline
enthusiast
Cookie Monster  Offline
enthusiast

Pensacola, Florida / Katy, Tex...
Ok, it has come the time for me to wear glasses, it's tough getting old, but it beats the alternative. I can see distance well, especially on a sunny day, but it's has become almost impossible to read the countdown timer on my watch and forget trying to see the sticker on the front beam with the flag designations. Not to mention the GPS. Anyway, being a "water" family, I came across these prescription sunglasses in my daughters' surf magazine. They look pretty good to me - made to be worn surfing. It's the end of the year, and I have money left on my pre-tax medical - use or lose. So, I'm going to give these a try. Check them out.

http://www.silverfish.com/

Don Cook ARC22 #2226 ADRENALIN
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Cookie Monster] #62878
12/14/05 07:57 AM
12/14/05 07:57 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
If you wax your glasses before you go out it helps the spray roll off the lens and not turn into a salty spot.

A couple times a year I polish my sunglasses with carnuba wax, dont use more that a spec of it or you wont be able to get them clear. I also carry a small lens cloth in a zip lock bag that I can clean and polish my sunglasses between races. I usually just use spit to polish the lens. For some reason spit also helps with fogging - especially if you do it before you go out when the lens are dry and you let the lens dry after you spit polish the inside.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: SBeach] #62879
12/14/05 08:25 AM
12/14/05 08:25 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Dirty Dog makes a series of "wet glasses" that are designed for spray and such. They fit pretty close to my face and water beads up and rolls off them very easily. While they do eventually start to spot, they stay clean for quite a while.

Jake Kohl
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Cookie Monster] #62880
12/14/05 08:55 AM
12/14/05 08:55 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Ok, it has come the time for me to wear glasses, it's tough getting old, but it beats the alternative. I can see distance well, especially on a sunny day, but it's has become almost impossible to read the countdown timer on my watch and forget trying to see the sticker on the front beam with the flag designations. Not to mention the GPS. Anyway, being a "water" family, I came across these prescription sunglasses in my daughters' surf magazine. They look pretty good to me - made to be worn surfing. It's the end of the year, and I have money left on my pre-tax medical - use or lose. So, I'm going to give these a try. Check them out.

I think the prescription glasses that BARZ offers is the way I'm going to go OR the prescription swimming goggles. I hadn't thought of using the end of year Section 125 money (use it or lose it) I'm embarassed to say. I wondered when you guys starting discussing the residue problem with the salt water if something like RAINEX would work? Seems to keep my windshield very clear in the winter salty roads of New England.
At any rate, I'm comitted to not letting a fear of losing glasses or the discomfort of not being able to see to be the thing that puts my son off sailing. The only question is which option he will find the least objectionable. Which will he wear.
Thanks for all your advice....
Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62881
12/14/05 09:20 AM
12/14/05 09:20 AM
NC
calcheck Offline
journeyman
calcheck  Offline
journeyman

NC
I sail with contacts- it took me a while to get used to contacts- but wearing them over 10 hours a week can help keep your eye from changing prescription according to my eye-MD. I have the new ones that have built in bifocals so I can see small things like the watch. I wear cheap polarized glasses over them- my local boating store (maybe west) had great ones -2 for $20. I wear the contacts swimming too- the cheaper daily wear ones- you can't see up close as well but it beats not seeing at all- especially those of us who sail in salt water.

John R.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62882
12/14/05 09:38 AM
12/14/05 09:38 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
The best thing I have seen is some sport glasses/goggles made for kids at my optometrist.They looks like what some of the NBA players wear. They can make any lens you want for it (polarized, non-fog, light sensitive, etc).
Check with your optometrist, they have at least what they think, kids will think is cool.

I had my eyes corrected about 10 years and am now getting to the point it is tough to read the numbers on a timer. I am going to talk to my doctor about attaching a small corrective lens to the inside of a set of Oakley lens. They make a "stick" on lens for safety glasses, if you want to try it. I bought a package of about 20 through a woodworkers supply.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: carlbohannon] #62883
12/14/05 10:13 AM
12/14/05 10:13 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Simply put, I rarely see anyone sailing without glasses down here. So if the sunglasses they wear don't get lost/broken, it is likely that once he gets used to sailing with them, he won't lose them, either (unless they don't fit right).

I use a "croakie" style strap and tuck it under my hat. Some tie the croakie (via a small line) to their hat or PFD. Unless the glasses are very heavy, the things will float, and usually be near you after a crash.

I have astigmatism, and have perscription shades. Not wrap around, either.

A water bottle to wash them off helps, and I'm considering RAIN-X, but don't know what it would do to the plastic lenses...

Let him see!

Jay

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: waterbug_wpb] #62884
12/14/05 10:45 AM
12/14/05 10:45 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I have a pair of Ray-Ban “Daddy-O”s (model W2581), the lens were replaced with polarized prescription lenses. Great side coverage, but not so much curve as to affect the prescription. I also sail in salt water, Rain-X works great. When they salt up you can rinse them in the salt water and shake off the excess.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: hobiephil] #62885
12/14/05 01:13 PM
12/14/05 01:13 PM
Palm Beach Gardens. FL
palmwolfe Offline
palmwolfe  Offline

Palm Beach Gardens. FL
What a great question, I always wondered but never thought to ask.
I wear prescription sunglasses and once they get wet or salty they're almost useless, but better than no glasses.
Years ago I had contacts but they also have issues. And you still need sun glasses.
If you are near a SAMS or Costco you can get a dup set made from your current glasses, I had a spare pair made for about $80. They are now my primary set.
Never tried wax but this reminds me of stuff we used to put on our dive masks, maybe that will work, I'll be checking that out soon.
We could also find out who makes those tear away windshields for NASCAR and have them make some little ones for our glasses.

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Dermot] #62886
12/15/05 10:29 AM
12/15/05 10:29 AM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
Being severely myopic since age 7 and wearing thick plexiglass lenses since 1950...I am a dang expert. I lost regular glasses only one time, surfing at Makaha when I failed to tie my safety string around my neck before attaching it to the other side. The locals laughed and gave me the stink eye, but did I care? Nah, Brah!

If glasses get salty, first wash them off in (salt) water.
Then to remove water spots- lick them off with a dry tongue. (It's usually most convenient to use your own). THE PLASTIC LENSES NEVER GET SCRATCHED. Croakies are almost always the best, but can wash off over your head if you pearl your board, windsurfer or cat: so loop another breakable string over the Croakie & loosely around your neck.
ALSO- big plastic goggles- BlueBlockers- like the old people wear! Keep the splashes running off your head with a billed baseball cap, and the BlueBlockers will do most of the rest- by keeping most spray off your glasses. You do have 4 surfaces to clean + lick between races on a breezy day, but very rarely get your eyeballs washed out by spray. After racing, hang them off your rear view mirror by the string and they will last for YEARS.
Signed, Lick-M Cowboy. (Demos given at Tradewinds!)

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: dacarls] #62887
12/15/05 04:26 PM
12/15/05 04:26 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Demos given at Tradewinds!

On your own glasses I hope!

Jake Kohl
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: Jake] #62888
12/15/05 05:48 PM
12/15/05 05:48 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Demos given at Tradewinds!

On your own glasses I hope!

Hey Jake,
I think you might be glad you don't wear contacts! You gotta admit it's better he licks your glasses and not your eyeballs.
(You think he is going to set up a booth or something with a sign -FREE LICKING DEMO)

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62889
12/16/05 12:34 AM
12/16/05 12:34 AM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
LASIK.

(Laser-ASsisted In situ Keratomiluesis)

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: Brian_Mc] #62890
12/18/05 08:05 PM
12/18/05 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am getting some of these. Andrew in fleet uses them. They look neat and price is good

http://www.dirtydog.com/product.phtml?ID=571&PHPSESSID=4116b1b645628c2a3fbe2555d1cd64b0

Doug

Re: sailing with glasses [Re: bullswan] #62891
12/19/05 12:52 AM
12/19/05 12:52 AM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
I always wear my "Last years" Glasses, expensive plastic Progressive lenses And a Simple glasses retaining strap, have been for 7 years of catsailing, never lost them once, and Rainex works great for most of the day to keep the spots away.
I do However sheet my glases strap in tight before I go out for the day, and if We're gonna capsize, I keep my hand up to keep my glasses "just in case." I usually find it's my hat that gets knocked off or blown off in a capsize.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: ] #62892
12/19/05 08:28 AM
12/19/05 08:28 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I've got a pair of the DD Wet Glasses and they work very well. Stylish they are not. They're quite big but water just runs away from the lenses and they fit tight enough to my face to keep most of the spray from washing my eyeballs.

Jake Kohl
Re: Source your son a pair of Fitover sunglasses [Re: Jake] #62893
12/22/05 01:55 AM
12/22/05 01:55 AM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
Eileen, my crew, wears contacts and Barz over them. She has never had a problem with this set up and you do not have to get special prescriptions for sailing only.

If you have a problem with water spots on your glasses try a bit of Rain-X rubbed on both sides of the lenses with your fingers. Very little bit, maybe one drop.

Later,
Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 362 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022