12/26/05 01:01 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA

Mark,
but the case of the damage was the broken tiller, so you are not liable, the manufacturer of the tiller bar is liable as the tiller bar was not fit-for-purpose.

The problem is proving it, and if you do we will all made to use solid stainless tiller bars as thet won't break!

The part was not defective, it just broke. Standard I-20 Tiller Crossbar, I had assembled it the day before it was fine and serviceable. We put all kinds of stresses on our equipment, and even with inspection, sometimes the stressors of the day's sailing will break even a new part. Boats are getting lighter and lighter, At some point we sacrifice longevity.
I still disagree with my Insurance company, will always do so, Nothing will change my mind. Had I just hit Mark Broadside, they would have paid off the claim. Sudden gust ovepowered my boat, could be an act of God but if that's the case then every windshift is, and they'll never pay up. They should not take money for coverage they are not going to provide. If it's not criminal it ought to be, taking money with no intent to provide service seems fraudulent to me.
[color:"red"] BOO HISS!, STATE FARM!! [/color]
When I've chased enough busness away to a provider that might provide coverage, I'll still be out $300 and they will will have defaulted on their committment.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: Mark Schneider] #63349
12/26/05 04:03 PM
12/26/05 04:03 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Scooby... I think you still are wearing your insurance hat.

A basic purpose of the rules is to prevent contact between boats. By participating in an
event governed by the rules a boat agrees that responsibility for damages arising from any breach of the rules shall be based on fault as determined by application of the rules , and that she shall not be governed by the legal doctrine

This is the US Sailing prescription for the USA so maybe you don't have this rule in GB.

I still read this as I restated...
a boat agrees that responsibility for damages
shall be based on fault as determined by application of the rules

Now maybe that means that you don't have to pay up... but I don't know what responsiblity means then.

Do your insurance policies in Great Britan cover you UNDER the Racing Rules of Sailing explicitly?

I know that I ask about coverage for racing and I am TOLD that Sure ... you are... but I don't believe I have ever seen it in writing and I know they don't refer to the racing rules of sailing.

Take Care
Mark

The purpose of the rules is to provide a method of identifying a winner when a rule is broken (and this may result in a collision). The International rules for the prevention of collisions at sea are there to prevent colissions.

This is why the insurance company may take into consideration what the PC say. The PC find out what they believe happened, what the results were and which rule(s) we broken, thus they provide a ruling on how the sailing rules apply.

Interesting one re this:

By participating in an
event governed by the rules a boat agrees that responsibility for damages arising from any breach of the rules shall be based on fault as determined by application of the rules , and that she shall not be governed by the legal doctrine

So what if the owner is not present(or the owner of the insurance policy), can he or she be held responsible for actions they have little control over (except by appointing the skipper).

As for how the cover is written, I would think that it would be written under the racing rules and administered under the IRPCAS.

I have also never known an insurance company in the UK not pay based on a gear failure causing the accident.

Basically a company not paying (based on true statements from the policy holder) would be such a No-no in our insurance market. Afterall Lloyds have been underwriting for a few years now!

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: scooby_simon] #63350
12/26/05 05:43 PM
12/26/05 05:43 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
The purpose of the rules is to provide a method of identifying a winner when a rule is broken

I have only seen loosers after collisions..

Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #63351
12/26/05 06:05 PM
12/26/05 06:05 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I have only seen loosers after collisions..

No doubt.

US Sailing carefully walks a line in their race prescriptions when it comes to liability and insurance...rightfully so. If they leave the door open to where they admit to being a party to determining "at fault" then they suddenly become part of the equation and any potential litigation. So their stance that they only determine the outcome of the racing serves them well in this regard. In the one relatively significant instance I had, the insurance company took the findings of the protest committee and consulted a maritime attourney and came to a conclusion.

This is the second instance where I've heard that State Farm pulled the "equipment failure" or "poor design" thing. Why did the tiller bar break? Was it established that there was a high rate of tiller bars breaking therefore they determined that it was a manufacturing problem? No...this is a first line of defense and is intended to get you to turn away. You'll have to go through legal motions to get them to pay up (and for $300 it's certainly not going to be worth it). This is why I didn't choose State Farm even though they offered comparable rates for my boats because I heard of another such instance on a larger scale (daggerboard ripping through hull). When I had my incident and it suddenly looked like there was going to be a fight, I approached my home owner's insurance about filing a claim to repair/replace my boat...They told me that this would be a bad idea because too many claims on my home owner's insurance would result in me being dropped! I've been paying State Farm for 15 years with one minor auto claim that entire time. That response really dissapointed me. Who is paying who here? They act like THEY are the customer and that I should feel privaledged that they will take my money.

Jake Kohl
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: Jake] #63352
12/26/05 09:38 PM
12/26/05 09:38 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
I have only seen losers after collisions..
No doubt.
This is the second instance where I've heard that State Farm pulled the "equipment failure" or "poor design" thing. No...this is a first line of defense and is intended to get you to turn away. You'll have to go through legal motions to get them to pay up (and for $300 it's certainly not going to be worth it). This is why I didn't choose State Farm even though they offered comparable rates for my boats because I heard of another such instance on a larger scale (daggerboard ripping through hull). When I had my incident and it suddenly looked like there was going to be a fight, I approached my home owner's insurance about filing a claim to repair/replace my boat...They told me that this would be a bad idea because too many claims on my home owner's insurance would result in me being dropped! I've been paying State Farm for 15 years with one minor auto claim that entire time. That response really dissapointed me. Who is paying who here? They act like THEY are the customer and that I should feel privaledged that they will take my money.

Jake:
So who did you end up with for Insurance and WHY?
Still think if we all banded together and used the same company, it would be a no brainer they'd have to pay regardless.
CARY

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: Cary Palmer] #63353
12/26/05 10:21 PM
12/26/05 10:21 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
It's Progressive Insurance...However, I've never made a claim with them so I can't really speak for how they might react. Their customer service has been outstanding with regard to setting up the account and taking my money!

Jake Kohl
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: scooby_simon] #63354
12/27/05 12:57 AM
12/27/05 12:57 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
The purpose of the rules is to provide a method of identifying a winner when a rule is broken (and this may result in a collision). The International rules for the prevention of collisions at sea are there to prevent colissions.

This is why the insurance company may take into consideration what the PC say. The PC find out what they believe happened, what the results were and which rule(s) we broken, thus they provide a ruling on how the sailing rules apply.

I agree with you about the relationship of the PC with the insurance company with resect to the issue of liablity. The insurance company and the legal system will determine liability. So a court could decide that you are 60% liabile for the accident and will enforce that judgement. If you don't pay (or your insurance company won't pay) they can take further legal action through the civil courts.

The critical part that puts your pocketbook at risk (If you want to continue sailboat racing) is part C in which you agree to be responsibile for the damage solely on the basis of fault as determined by the racing rules and the PC and you expressly agree to NOT be bound by the legal system, insurance company etc.

So you agree to be responsible...and so you pay up.... not because you are legally liable... but rather because you agree to this rule. The civil court does not enforce anything here.. rather you agreed to pay up whatever your insurance company won't pay when you registered for the regatta.

For example, a windward leeward crash in which the racing rules clearly award the leeward boat right of way and that is the PC judgement. The damages for both boat are equal at 5000 for each. However, the insurance companies decide that it's a 60 to 40% split of responsibility eg the 40% of the liability is to the leeward boat who according to the racing rules is not at fault

What happens now?
Does this mean windward will pay the other guys Leeward's deductible of 500 because you windward were at fault under the racing rules and the insurance companies have sorted out how much each company will pay but you windward are 100% responsible since you lost the protest.

Does this mean that you pay the 40% of the damages out of pocket (4000) because you agreed to be responsible and leeward does not want to put the claim in on his insurance since he is 40% liable because "he was not at fault in the protest committee" and you agreed to be responsible for damages irregardless of the court/insurance liability judgment?

Hmmm?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Damage Insurance and the NOR... [Re: Mark Schneider] #63355
12/27/05 06:28 AM
12/27/05 06:28 AM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think that in the UK market (at least) the insurance companies sort it out them selves, there is (as far as I am aware) not a "clause C" in our racing regatta rules (you just sign to say you have 3rd party cover to the value of), but then we have what I believe is a watertight set of insurace clauses and so it is very unlikely that one of the insurance co's won't pay.

Sounds like you guys in the US have been victim of some sharp practices by the companies involved.

Our 3rd Party cover is for the damage to the other boat and also for injuries. In the 2 big shunts I've had (one my fault one not).... (admittedly both over 15 years ago)

When It was my fault the company just paid up as it was a windward leaward.

The other was a Port stbd and the other boat just weaved all over the place and made it impossible for me to avoid them.

There would be such an outcry and chaos at Lloyds if an insurnace company refused to pay that it would just not be worth it for the insurance co concerned.

IMO those involved have been "had".

Find a reputable insurance comany and use them.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Damage Insurance [Re: Jake] #63356
12/27/05 06:43 AM
12/27/05 06:43 AM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
It's Progressive Insurance...However, I've never made a claim with them so I can't really speak for how they might react. Their customer service has been outstanding with regard to setting up the account and taking my money!

Yep, State Arm Excels at that too. Just the getting any of it back that was a pain. Admittedly, when Our house flooded, they were quite good with paying me the $12000 in repairs.
Insurance is due in a couple months, that's why the interest. Switched in a hurry last time. Need to investigate before time's up with my BoatUS coverage.
Anyone had any claims with USSailing?

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 144 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022