Everyone should caveat every decision made by them about any area of commerce they are not familiar with. Thats a given! But sometimes you just have to trust someone. I wonder how many boat owners feel that they were lied too or deceived by the other persons lack of forthcoming with pertinent information?
<br>
<br>Today I met a young couple at the local lake. They had 2 small children [ both under 3 years old] and were preparing to go sailing on a nice day. Winds about 10 knots and not a cloud in the sky. Great day...They had moved here from out of state where they bought their new boat that hasn't been out until today. I asked them a couple of questions being as the first thing I noticed was there were no righting lines nor was there a throwable. I was curious as to why there weren't lines and he said the saleman told them that if they kept the sails out there would be no problem with turning over. As long as I keep the sails out theres not going to be a problem. I asked about the throwable and he said they had forgotten it. I told them I would loan them one throwable and supply some lines for righting and they declined. They sailed off and got back OK! But next time maybe not...
<br>
<br>When you hear about rudders breaking, minumim weight issues are confusing at best, sails having to be recut several times at the consumer's expense for the freight and recut in some instances, delivery times that mean nothing, masts that snap for no apparent reason except they just did, insurance companies that take your money and then refuse to insure your boat because its over 5 years old, repair people that say they can fix your boat and then you get the boat back and its not right, etc.
<br>
<br>I recently had my boat gouged because someone tried to steal it and apparently bumped something in the dry storage lot. When I spoke to several repair shops and asked for references they basically gave me the name of their cousin not their customer. I fixed it my self with the builder's help.
<br>
<br>Sailing/boating used to be a safe haven against this Deceptive Trade Practice but now it seems that no one is accountable for clearly specifically telling the consumer exactly what he needs to know. There are some questions that the inexperienced are not knowledgeable enough to ask.
<br>
<br>Its not what they do say... Sometimes its what they don't say that counts.
<br>
<br>Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way...but in my business [real estate appraisal and real estate sales] if I did anything like I mentioned above I could be prosecuted, fined, and have my licenses taken away for certain and maybe do some jail time as well. I must be in the wrong business.
<br>
<br>Fair winds,
<br>
<br>Thom
<br>
<br><br><br>