01/18/06 12:52 PM
01/18/06 12:52 PM
Sacramento, Ca
acdavis Offline OP
stranger
acdavis  Offline OP
stranger

Sacramento, Ca
I have a few questions about tapering and harnesses. I’ve done searches and have found many answers to questions but I still have a few.

I've mainly been looking at the Murray's catalogue: http://www.murrays.com/archive/46-47.pdf I can't really decide which system is best, the hook w/ a quick release (Item A) or the key hole system (Item G). I'm sure there are people out there that have used either of these or if you know of something else that is better. I also don't know what the difference is between the buckle type hook, and the spreader bar. I mean I've seen pictures of the two but don't really know the pro's and con's of each. I think I'm leaning towards the key hole system (Item G) because I feel it's safer than the hook in kind. Can you put the key hole buckle on a spreader bar. I've read some stories about people flipping and getting their hook stuck on a shroud with a boat on top of them, yikes!!! I guess that's what the quick release is for, but I also think that with my sailing skills I'll probably end up punching a hole in my hull, or tearing the tramp with the hook. I'm also worried about capsizing while trapped out, how's that work? Do you think the "Key Hole" system would allow one to disconnect easily if the boat's flipped or about to flip?

I also need to get a new harness; the one that came with my boat is well from the dark ages. It's a butt bucket with shoulder straps. I really have no idea what kind to get. I know I won’t be going with a “nappy” style, just looking at the design of these it is clear that as a guy they’re not going to be comfortable. Do you guys have any opinions about the “Gul” harnesses? I think I want a full harness for the back support, but is a full harness comfortable to just sit in when not trapped out? Does any one know of any places in Northern Cali that I could go to try them on?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Adam

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Harnesses and Hooking In [Re: acdavis] #64993
01/18/06 03:27 PM
01/18/06 03:27 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Adam,

I'm sure there are people out there that have used either of these or if you know of something else that is better. -I have not used both, only the hook and quick release hook.

I think I'm leaning towards the key hole system (Item G) because I feel it's safer than the hook. -With a load on the attachment point, in an emergency situation, the quick release would be easiest and the safest.

I'll probably end up punching a hole in my hull, or tearing the tramp with the hook. -Always a possibilty, a hook is inconvient when pulling yourself back on board after a capsize, in that I'm wanting to twist my hips to one side while lifting myself up to avoid contacting the hull with the hook.

I know I won’t be going with a “nappy” style, just looking at the design of these it is clear that as a guy they’re not going to be comfortable. -My oldest son (mature) and I both prefer the nappy harness. We have an older harness with the leg loops and both feel uncomfortable in it, compared to the nappy. The spreader bar eases the hip squeeze, but can be uncomfortable while sitting or crawling. Our nappy's are one size larger than "perfect" allowing adjustment in the straps to get a proper "home" for the spreader bar.

No help since we're not in your area, but yes, definetly go try stuff on.

Last edited by flatlander18; 01/18/06 03:28 PM.

John H16, H14
Re: Harnesses and Hooking In [Re: acdavis] #64994
01/18/06 03:43 PM
01/18/06 03:43 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Adam,
There have been many discussions on this forum about trapeze harnesses. If you use the Search function at the top of the page and look for "trapeze harness" and "all posts," you will find lots of information -- just a matter of wading through it.

Re: Harnesses and Hooking In [Re: Mary] #64995
01/20/06 11:41 AM
01/20/06 11:41 AM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
Hmmm.... I use the "can't miss- style" handle. They are very popular among sailors. Most actively sailed boats in my area use this style.
I also use a spreader bar - but not the stuff that Murrey sells. I use one that is designed for windsurfing. Most of those do not have pointy hooks - less of a risk to cause damage to gel coat and tramp.
I have used the keyhole style system - It is nice and works well. I do not own it because it is expensive.
I have not used the quick release system - It looks like a nice system for lots of $$$'s. In the future this might be a requirement if you sail in a competitive way. Research the Hobie class rules - IIRC there is something about the need for a quick release between harness and wire.
Harness... check those out http://www.justsail.com/magic_marine_harnesses.htm If I would decide to get a new harness I would get the "smart harness"
Safety... In a capsize situation you will be able to unhook. I would be more concerned about pitch poling situations where you might get tightly wrapped around a shroud or the other trap wire. The bad news is that the quick release might not fix that problem depending where or what is tangled up.

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
Re: Harnesses and Hooking In [Re: yoh] #64996
01/20/06 02:04 PM
01/20/06 02:04 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37

John H16, H14
Re: Harnesses and Hooking In [Re: acdavis] #64997
02/06/06 01:56 PM
02/06/06 01:56 PM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline
journeyman

Virginia Beach
Do you guys have any opinions about the “Gul” harnesses? I think I want a full harness for the back support, but is a full harness comfortable to just sit in when not trapped out? Does any one know of any places in Northern Cali that I could go to try them on?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Adam
I just bought a Gul Pro harness (non nappy) at the end of the season so I only got to use it once or twice. It has a built in spreader bar so there is no additional expense there unless you get the keyhole system. It is easy to adjust and reasonably comfortable (relative to the butt bucket I was using before). The lumbar support is made of foam, which is to say, not much support at all. I guess that is a trade off. A stiff back support would be awful any time you are not out on the wire.

Last edited by Sunvista; 02/06/06 02:01 PM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 600 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022