08/03/06 10:23 AM
08/03/06 10:23 AM
Charlottesville, VA
S
sruffner Offline
sruffner  Offline
S

Charlottesville, VA
Jake - Yeah, actually, the sail will not slide down nor move up without a pretty good amount of force on it. I am starting to think this may be the root of my issues though. I can pull it down by hand, I just use the downhaul line to do so. I think it may be time to try to agressively clean the luff and perhaps check the rope for shrinkage - if the luff rope has shrunk too much, I can see the tape bunching up in such a way that it is "thicker" than will move easily in the mast. I may resolve my issues altogether by getting the sail to move smoothly and easily in the track. I'll search the forum archives for threads on sail cleaning and luff rope shrinkage.

DaveW - I am going to run the sail up the mast to see where things are tight, and to see that I've got the correct clearances on things. The hook is off to one side slightly already, but I will consider bending it, and check that the offset in the aussie ring tilts the ring the right way to help move away from the hood when the mast is rotated.

GeoffS - Heh, yeah, I grew up here, but didn't go to St. Anne's, but went to VES and then UVa. I live in the neighborhood between St. Anne's and UVa. There really isn't anywhere here, but the Chesapeake Bay is only a two hour drive which I don't mind. I will try your suggestion on the boom. Thanks!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 5.8 lowering main [Re: peterbro1] #65599
08/04/06 02:21 PM
08/04/06 02:21 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

US Western Continental Shelf
Tie the back end of the main halyard to the top of the ring where the front end of the halyard attaches. Now you have a loop like a drapery pull cord. When it is time to remove the ring from the hook, pull on the lazy end of the halyard to bring the top of the ring back and away from the hook.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: 5.8 lowering main [Re: sruffner] #65600
08/04/06 05:32 PM
08/04/06 05:32 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

This will work for the Prindle too

1.) Get Murray’s part number 01-4216 (or simular part thereof) and install ASAP with the knot facing to the rear.

2.) Sailcoat the snot out of your sail tract and the luff rope of your sail.

3.) When getting ready to lower your sail, pull (more like yank) on the halyard until it stops, and HOLD IT THERE.

4.) With your other hand (or crew) grab your mast rotator and swing the mast so the leading edge is facing the starboard hull (trailing edge to the port hull) and HOLD IT THERE.

5.) Now, let go of the main halyard and pull on the sail – it should come down, and if you have no tangles in the halyard, and sail coated the snot out of it, it will not require any major mussel building assistance. And at this time you can let go of the mast rotator.

Re: 5.8 lowering main [Re: hobiegary] #65601
08/07/06 07:01 AM
08/07/06 07:01 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
ME Too. Does anyone have a picture of the "make the knot come out the back of the ring". I am stuck with a mental block on this topic. Anyone else wish there was an "emergency blow!!" type of release that could be done under extreme conditions when you just have to get the main down AFAP (as fast as possible)? That would be great.
A quick release clip that could be done even with the sail under load. Has anyone thought of how that could be done?

Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022