02/15/06 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tami:

Like you said unless you are pure Native American we are ALL foreigners when Columbus stepped off the boat

Doug

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: racing with both monohulls and multihulls [Re: Boudicca] #66537
02/15/06 07:44 PM
02/15/06 07:44 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Heck, you have lost me, because I'm still trying to figure out what "sensibilities" means.

Re: racing with both monohulls and multihulls [Re: ] #66538
02/15/06 08:04 PM
02/15/06 08:04 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

I watch way too much Discovery channel. Some genetics guru says we're all related to some guy in East Africa from 60,000 years ago.

My father always said I looked strange, now I know why!

Re: racing with both monohulls and multihulls [Re: Boudicca] #66539
02/16/06 09:20 AM
02/16/06 09:20 AM
Northern Virginia
SoggyCheetoh Offline
SoggyCheetoh  Offline

Northern Virginia
Hey Boudicca did someone pee in your wheaties this morning. You seem awfully angry over the remarks about what makes a modern design or not. I don't believe Keith ever said anything about the Polynesian design being primitive, that's something that you read into it.

Why are some of you guys taking this stuff so personally? Aren't there more important things in your lives to get worked up about?

Alec

Alec D.
Pirates of the Chesapeake www.teampiratesofthechesapeake.com
Nacra20 1057 - Crew
F16 Viper 152 - Uni
Re: racing with both monohulls and multihulls [Re: Boudicca] #66540
02/16/06 10:30 AM
02/16/06 10:30 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
You say:
who doesn't know the Polynesian side.
---based on remarks like the below, I don't think YOU do. Sorry if this offends your Eurocentric sensibilities...

You said: For instance the attempt to build a catamaran warship by Sir William Petty or Herreshoff adding the gaff and sprit rig and taking on the yachts of the time in what sounds like modern beach cat fashion. Many years later we consider a sprit/pole to almost be a required part of modern cat design.

----go here: http://www.pvs-hawaii.com/canoe/canoe_evolution.htm

---A crabclaw IS a sprit rig. Both the Polynesians AND the Arabs (catsail, JUST like the Sunfish rig-look at a felucca) were sailing upwind for thousands of years before the Europeans happened to stumble upon it.

The basic, long, narrow, V-hull design is pretty old. In fact, neither Amaryllis (flat bottomed) nor Petty's design is as 'modern' as the Polynesian cats. They used the shipbuilding techniques that we now consider 'old' (frame-and-plank) whereat the actually OLD Polynesian techniques are more like what's being done now (stitch-and-glue, tortured ply, bulkheaded). The materials are now different, sure, but the basic hull concepts from the Polynesians are now just pretty much refined. I have this info from reading what the designers (Wharram, Shuttleworth, etc.) have to say. They looked to the Polynesians for first principles.

Here's another tidbit: Battened sails were invented by the Chinese - have a look at junk-type sails sometime. Works the same... the Chinese have a saying about how the sail is 'an ear listening for the wind.'

Again, sorry to offend your Eurocentric sensibilities, but credit is due where it's due, and these designers just refined the concept-they didn't invent it. But then, there's nothing new under the sun.

What's your problem? Gotta have a fight? Want to lay frustration from previous crap in this thread on my head? Whatever.

By sprit I meant bowsprit. Yes, crabclaws, junks, lateens, etc. all came before. The use of sails themselves came before. The idea of something that can float came before from somewhere else. Doesn't mean that there are not modern versions.

My comment about Polynesian sensibilities was only because you seemed to believe that only you had knowledge of their contributions - the "do your research" line ticked me off. It was actually meant tongue in cheek. Sorry. Never said anything or claimed anything about battened sails, and if you knew me (which you don't) you'd realize that the eurocentric remark is pretty stupid. But yes, I must claim european as my ancestral roots. Because of that I must have never known that fully battened sails were not an invention of Hobie Alter - NOT. Chinese junks you say? Never heard of 'em. I'll have to look that up.

Yes, narrow v-bottomed hulls are pretty old. Do we all use them these days? No. Is that simply a refinement? Maybe. I-20s, and others use a flatter section. Your main hull (vaka) on your F-27 although narrow, is flatter on the bottom to promote planing by the main hull (even though the amas or as Farrier calls them floats are v-sectioned), and Ian likes to make that distinction with respect to other designs that follow the narrow v-shaped model, more room and faster he says. Looking to old designs for principles doesn't mean that new designs are merely copies, only influenced (although some are copies). Even Petty and Herreshoff admit to being influenced by the Polynesians. Good for them to draw on that to produce something out of the box from the conventional eurocentric thoughts and designs of their times, and to introduce the concepts to a lot of folks who though themselves to be the pinnacle.

But I still think that that the appearance of the boats from Herreshoff and Petty in the middle of what was considered at the time to be the cream of the crop of boat design as significant. Petty's larger stuff looks more like two conventional ships joined at the hip. But the boats Herreshoff was trying were a little more in line with what we have today. And Amaryllis was not his only one. And the mono/multi debate at that time is certainly a preview of modern times.

Since we're all googling, here's an interesting page. It's in French, and the English link brings up a translator (not an English version of the site). Look at the configuration of Amaryllis. I may be crazy, but it bears similarities to what is sailed today.

More Stuff

Anyway, have a nice day. Relax. Take a deep breath.

Last edited by Keith; 02/16/06 10:40 AM.
G.Zeus! [Re: Keith] #66541
02/16/06 11:04 AM
02/16/06 11:04 AM
Straight Outta Hell
B
Boudicca Offline
Boudicca  Offline
B

Straight Outta Hell
What personal remarks were made? What could possibly incite you to anger? There was nothing in my remarks to infer such, and I stand by my assertions. Expression of a contrary point is debate, not aggression. If you express an opinion, expect another - that's how it goes.

Boys, if I get angry, trust me, you'll know it.

This sig would be something witty, but the censors are against that.
Re: G.Zeus! [Re: Boudicca] #66542
02/16/06 11:23 AM
02/16/06 11:23 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
What personal remarks were made? What could possibly incite you to anger? There was nothing in my remarks to infer such, and I stand by my assertions. Expression of a contrary point is debate, not aggression. If you express an opinion, expect another - that's how it goes.

Boys, if I get angry, trust me, you'll know it.

I explained myself in the previous post and said sorry, and yes, my "sensibilities" comment was again tongue in cheek. I'll make sure to label all such things as such in the future. I didn't like your assumption on what I (or most people on this forum) don't know and what sounded to me like a very condescending way to reinforce that. And then you proceeded to attack based on more assumptions. Difference of opinions and disagreements are one thing and make things fun and interesting. It didn't sound that way to me. But in retrospect that was all probably tongue in cheek too, sorry I missed it. I'm not a particularly thin-skinned person. But I ain't a newbie either.

This thread, although in the beginning had a very interesting and noble purpose, seems to be possessed by some kind malicious spirit (an ancient Polynesian God? Joking, just joking). Seems to bring out the frothing, spitting worst in people. We need to perform an exorcism. Or just go sailing. The one winter blast is done here and we're back to our winter of 60 degree days.

Last edited by Keith; 02/16/06 11:28 AM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 485 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022