03/03/06 04:27 PM
Montreal , QC
CatRon Offline
journeyman
CatRon  Offline
journeyman

Montreal , QC
Newbie,
Can't find my photos of foot straps and boat is in winter storage in VT. Lemme know come Mar/Apr and I'll take a few pics if you want.
The criss cross is easy to make - you need about two 10' lengths of..say..1/4" bungie and four small blocks. In the central region of each bungie, you thread on a block, do a simple end-loop knot. Now put the other one about 3 or 4 feet from the other. You now have two bungies, about 10 ft long, roughly divided into thirds by these two loop-knots with the small blocks on them.
How, simply tie each end of the bungie UNDER the tramp - one end to the front pylon and the other to the back. Same on the other side. Bungie should be under slight tension.
Now, you need small/fine bungie in two pieces. I use small diameter stretchy black shock, nothing special. On each side, you secure it to the FRONT dogbone/trap line, run under the tramp to the opposite side FRONT pully, diagonally back to the BACK pulley and back across to the BACK trap wire on the opposite side to the original front trap line. Tie bungie with slight tension which now pulls the original fore-aft bungie inwards. This helps keep all bungie lines under tension and hidden up under the tramp. Now you do the same to the other trap lines. When your done, the port front trap wire is connected to the starboard aft trap line and visa versa.
I switched to this system 'cause you can trap out right over the stern of a H16 with absolutely no forward pull on your trap line. But hey, whatever floats your boat. If you think the simple system is better than go for it. I sail singlehanded and need to move fore/aft a fair amount and can do this easily with this system. With 2 on the boat, movement is more restricted and perhaps the simple system mentioned by others above will suffice.

Hope this helps

Ron

----------------- H16 '82 Tornado '88
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: H16 Singlehanding [Re: CatRon] #67533
03/03/06 06:28 PM
03/03/06 06:28 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Ron,

It sounds like an interesting system and I'm sure it works for you. I singlehand most of the time and have had the standard system for 20 years. As I mentioned in my other post, I find more tension from the wire itself pulling me forward when I move back rather than the bungie cord. The further back you move the more of an angle the wire is at and gravity does its thing.

Howard

Re: H16 Singlehanding [Re: CatRon] #67534
03/04/06 03:23 AM
03/04/06 03:23 AM
N
newbiesailor Offline
newbiesailor  Offline
N

Ron, a couple quick questions, about how much does this system cost to set up and rig? as im a poor college kid... and how do you attach the pulleys to boat? when i trap out and get a good lean on the boat, i notice im almost being pulled the way the boat is angling, will this system solve this, or could i just slide the stopper down a little? thanks

Re: H16 Singlehanding [Re: newbiesailor] #67535
04/05/06 04:31 AM
04/05/06 04:31 AM
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Clint_SA Offline
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline
journeyman

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Just something to consider. I had wind surfing straps on my boat for some time. They can be adjusted to be pretty loose, if you're worried about ankle damage. Plus they have the benifit of some support when standing on top of them (helps when chop hits your foot, but you don't want to be all the way back in the strap).
They are a bit more expensive than the rope method, but an old second hand pair may be cheap?
Chau
Clint

Dubulamanzi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022