03/07/06 11:22 PM
03/07/06 11:22 PM
Long Island Sound
MarkD Offline OP
stranger
MarkD  Offline OP
stranger

Long Island Sound
Recently I have been getting into the idea of singlhanding my H16. I have done it a few times but don't want to get stuck out on the water with an upside down H16 and not be able to get it back up. I have heard of a few different systems for righting a cat but I thought I would ask some people who actualy have experience instead of somebody who just wants me to buy whatever they have in stock.

thanks to anyone who responds

Mark

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Righting Devices? [Re: MarkD] #68690
03/07/06 11:24 PM
03/07/06 11:24 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Take a look at this thread for a complete discussion.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Righting Devices? [Re: MarkD] #68691
03/08/06 07:28 AM
03/08/06 07:28 AM
Montreal , QC
CatRon Offline
journeyman
CatRon  Offline
journeyman

Montreal , QC
Mark,
Also, do a search on "righting" and you'll get enough to read on the subject.

Two things I do which have made single handling worry free
1. Install a float bob on the top of your mast. The smaller one from Hobie will keep your mast on the surface of the water even in a real blow. Without a danger of turtling, you all the time in the world to right your boat.
2. I use a righting bag. Here's a copy of a previous note on the method I use:

My H16 came with small rack attached to front cross bar - seemingly to hold a six-pack or whatever. I have my righting bag rolled up with about 6 ft of line attached to the middle of the dolphin striker. Also, I have a 5:1 vang slyle block which is about 3 to 3 1/2 ft long when out to length. To store it, I riveted two eyes to the under surface of the front cross bar and hook the block (one end has short bungie ) to the eyes. Keeps it tight and hangs horizontally under the front crossbar.
When I flip, I unroll the line from around the righting bag and throw the bag up and over the upper hull. It's now hanging down just over the hull. I unhook the 5:1 block, unsnap the bag, snap the 5:1 to the righting line. I lean over and fill the bag and then easily snap it to the lower block of the 5:1 which is now hanging much lower, near the lower hull. By pulling on the block, the bag is raised about 3 to 31/2 feet, almost out of the water. I now stand on the lower hull, grab the upper handles of the bag over my shoulder and lean back in to the bag.
Also, before leaning back with the bag full of water hanging over the upper hull, I swim around and put the mast into the wind as per all the diagrams and suggestions we know about - wind helping it right.
Anyway, when I lean back, the boat comes up. I had the local boat shop make me a bag for $35 to save ordering one from Hobie for over $100. I went online - googled "volume of a cylinder" which led me to great site - you put in diameter and height in cm and the site calculated the volume in liters (=kilograms of water). After playing around, I had them make me a bag holding 150-180 lbs.
With the above system, I get the boat over every time. However, I'm 180 lbs and the bag is JUST heavy enough. I'm getting them to make me one 50 lbs more. With waves and water slopping in/out of the bag I could use a little more weight to make it faster. With the 5:1 block, weight is not a problem.
To challange another myth, I usually sail in big winds solo (15-25 kts) and I LIKE THE BAG in the water immediately after righting. It acts a wind anchor and holds the H16 stable while I'm cleaning up after the dunk, keeps me from blowing around (and over againg). Once all is in order, I pull in the bag, stow the 5:1 and bag. then it's off again. Many people have critized the bang in the water as a big problem but it really helps stabilize the situation in the big wind/waves. It also serves as a little insurance policy in case you become separated from your boat once if flips over - acts as a sea anchor and would prevent the boat from sailing away should you let go.

Good luck going solo Mark. You should also do a search on solo or singl handed sailing and get other ideas on how to make things fun - many great ideas already here in the forum.
Cheers
Ron [color:"blue"] [/color]

----------------- H16 '82 Tornado '88

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 384 guests, and 122 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022