03/08/06 06:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

went to Frankston YC last Sat, Had heard there where Taipans sailing with kites there along with the hord of Tigers and a couple of Capricorns F18's. Only one Taipan two up though last Sat. but he was good, had recently placed 2nd.without spin, at state titles with 9 y.o. crew, regularly places around third over line in 10 plus F18 fleet at Frankston.

First race was light and shifty Altered hit front first downwind, but was caught wrong side of course next windward when final shift came with increased breeze. I think Taipan was fist home followed by 2 Tigers and Altered with Capricorn and more Tigers following some Tigers retired through frustration I imagine.

Second race good breeze for start 12 kts. Capricorn took of with Taipan, Tigers and Altered in hot pursuit, Altered was out pointing rest of fleet but with enough speed for similar VMG, missed top mark with tide so dropped behind a little, then kite up on trap and catching Taipan holding Tigers, next windward passed Taipan held Tigers, round top mark again kite and trap, big gust capsize . So frustrating . Got Altered back up, saw Tiger capsized thought it was worth keeping at it, next beat discovered I had broken end off tiller extension, so I had to stand well back not a problem as wind around 20 kts.Started catching Taipan again so stuck at it, sitting on boat for downwind, with main in hard, playing kite. I think finish order was Capricorn (out of sight), Taipan (about 100m. ahead), then 2 Tigers within a few boat lengths of Altered 5th. followed by more Tigers.

Certainly had Altered wound up upwind, am wrapped with speed at the moment, catching sloop Taipan upwind was great. although there 2 up weight is only 100kg. my 1 up is 90kg. so not much difference realy.

This weekend heading for South Australia, Milang regatta all sorts of cats to play with including Darryl's F14's , should be fun.

Regards Gary.

--Advertisement--
Re: Altered On the road Again. [Re: ] #68712
03/08/06 03:25 PM
03/08/06 03:25 PM
Victoria, Australia
C2 Mike Offline
enthusiast
C2 Mike  Offline
enthusiast

Victoria, Australia

Unfortunatly you picked a bad week. 2 other Taipans were at Pt Melbourne for some training weekend and another one is broken (Tiger Vs Taipan collision- No competition!).

You certainly point very high on that F16 but I was suprised how much it cost you. What happens if you foot off a bit??

I was very annoyed with myself last weekend - 2 woeful starts & a swim (That was me at the bottom mark of the 2nd race). We got tangled in traffic who seemed to have forgotten their port/starboard rules. Managed to get back to 2nd after a couple of screaming spi runs

Oh - in race 1, I think you got screwed by local knowledge. 2 boats went left, the Taipan and Lethal Weapon (me). The wind was clocking around all day and if it was going to come it would come from there. Managed to get my spi up 1 min before the rest of the fleet and go from mid pack to a clear lead in the F18's (don't know where James ended up)

Anyhow, hope you come down again soon.

Tiger Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022