05/08/02 05:43 AM
P
phill Offline OP
veteran
phill  Offline OP
veteran
P

Folks,

I'm currently looking at making some boat building videos to send to wood working departments of High Schools in our local area.

Only prob is I don't know anything about Video Cameras.

As I will be buying the camera specifically for this I don't want to spend too much.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for.

How good a camera do I need to get to do a reasonable job of this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phill

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Video Camera Advice [Re: phill] #6890
05/08/02 10:54 AM
05/08/02 10:54 AM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

Hi Phil,

Being a professional video guy, I'll try not to get on my soapbox about this topic.

First of all, what's your budget, and what can you afford? Perhaps you may want to enlist the help of someone who is a professional in your area.

As for cameras, I'd recommend the Canon XL1, Canon GL1, Sony PD150, and others. They are all in the $2K - $5K range, which may be a bit expensive for you.

Add to that the fact that you now have to edit it on something.

If you're really trying to make a good sell to the schools, you may be better off putting together a package of info other than video. Producing good video is extremely time consuming and can be very expensive.

The other factor you have to consider is that anyone who watches your video is a very sophisticated television viewer. They're used to watching the likes of 20/20, Dateline, Tom Brokaw, National Geographic, ESPN, etc, etc, etc. This means that if you shoot a bunch of shakey video with bad audio, your message is going to get totally lost in the process!

Oops, sorry! I feel a soap box speech coming on!

I say get the help of a friend or professional who already knows the ropes if you really want to be successful. But, in reality, it's more about the guy holding the camera, than it is about the camera itself. Ansel Adams would have been a great photographer even with a 110 pocket camera, he just wouldn't have been able to make good enlargements! In video it's all about rock solid camera work, good composition, great audio (often more important than the video quality), and good story telling ability.

Good luck,

Tim J

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org
Re: Video Camera Advice [Re: phill] #6891
05/08/02 07:43 PM
05/08/02 07:43 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Phill-

Tim's advice is obviously good (he's a pro!), especially about the editing-

Perhaps the best approach (feel free to jump in here Tim!) would be to try to find a "pro" (Perhaps even a teacher/student in a local class??- I know a friend who's in the "biz" and he had to make a video for his thesis??) who's willing to hlep and edit for/with you (on his/the school's/church's/gov./etc. editing equipment). If this is the case then that would be the person to ask which type/format of camera would be appropriate IMO. There are many "independent" video producers (at least here) looking for "projects" and you may even explore a "grant" to help fund it. If I (or my wife is a pro grant writer/editor) can help let me know-

Kirt

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 305 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022