04/05/06 05:23 PM
04/05/06 05:23 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

And phooey on catamarans, real Pacific voyagers used proas.

INDEED!!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: distance sailing [Re: steveh] #71417
04/05/06 06:42 PM
04/05/06 06:42 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You guys should come to Lahaina for the annual canoe festival. Carvers from all over the Pacific build outrigger canoes and have some races at the end of the festival.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: distance sailing [Re: hobie1616] #71418
04/05/06 07:30 PM
04/05/06 07:30 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

You guys should come to Lahaina for the annual canoe festival. Carvers from all over the Pacific build outrigger canoes and have some races at the end of the festival.

I would love nothing better! How can I get pix?

Have you ever been to the Bishop Museum?

Re: distance sailing [Re: fin.] #71419
04/05/06 07:40 PM
04/05/06 07:40 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would love nothing better! How can I get pix?

Have you ever been to the Bishop Museum?
Do an archive search on the Maui Times website. www.mauinews.com If you check today's edition you can read about 32 kayakers that got blown offshore. No joke.

I haven't been to the Bishop Museum. The only time I ever get to Oahu is passing through the airport.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: distance sailing [Re: waterbug_wpb] #71420
04/05/06 11:19 PM
04/05/06 11:19 PM
Kuwait
Zee Offline
journeyman
Zee  Offline
journeyman

Kuwait

But Stereotyping is FUN. Not to mention easier than actually creating your own opinion.

Not when people die because of it.
I get yelled at and treated like an animal every time I have to go to the States for treatment. They always make me wait a min of 4 hours at the airport for "random" checks. Even though I am always the only one to end up in these checks. Oh does the fact that Im Arab have something to do with these checks?

Honestly I dont blame them but please have the decency to understand that a 20 yr old girl is not the person who is blowing up cars and busses. So dont take ur anger out on me

Zawy03@gmail.com Hobie 16 (Soon to be Nacra A2) 100449
Re: distance sailing [Re: ] #71421
04/06/06 12:01 AM
04/06/06 12:01 AM
Kuwait
Zee Offline
journeyman
Zee  Offline
journeyman

Kuwait
I don't know that they had any particular skills other than the triangular sails.

And of course you know this because you read one book right?

They took elevation with their hands (ie no astrolabe) and didn't have anything like the kind of incredibly detailed system of star navigation that the Polynesians do.

Um the Arabs INVENTED the astrolabe. As for the detailed navigation system .. lol are u serious? The Arabs were the astrology leaders of the world. Astronomers traveled from around the world to learn astronomy from the Arabs.

Polynesians could - and in fact still can - sail from Hawaii to New Zealand without a compass, which is like finding half a needle in an extremely large haystack. Arabs mostly stuck to the coasts.

"Arabs had explored, and written of, the far reaches of
the known world. They had been around the perimeter of Africa and sailed as far as India. They had ventured overland beyond Constantinople, past Asia Minor, across Egypt and Syria--then the western marches of the unknown Orient--and into the heart of the Asian continent. They had mapped the terrain, traced the course of rivers, timed the monsoons, scaled mountains, charted shoals and reached China"

They also sailed boats that had been stitched together with coconut fibers, because nails were too expensive, so I think we can add tremendous bravery to the list.

So the fact that Arabs had sturdier boats and had better means of developing thier main source of transportation means that they arent as brave?

navigation system is pretty clearly something the Polynesians invented while sailing around the Pacific.

"A navigational tool was already in use by Arab navigators called a kamal. The kamal was a square table which had a string with knots threaded through it. Each knot represented a different port. The navigator would select the port he was trying to reach, and hold the knot in his teeth to tighten the string, while he he held the table to his eye. Latitude was found when the horizon was at the lower edge of the table and the Pole Star at the upper edge."

So the Arabs didnt just stare into the sky to navigate as you seem to believe.

Im not saying that the polynesians arent excellent sailors. Im just trying to show that a person shouldnt start making assumptions about something they know nothing about.

Zawy03@gmail.com Hobie 16 (Soon to be Nacra A2) 100449
Re: distance sailing [Re: Zee] #71422
04/06/06 12:16 AM
04/06/06 12:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys/ Gals:

Truce, lets get back to sailing. This is like my dad can whip your dad, who cares. By the way Zee. Wendy/Sunny got the 4.3 I told her about.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Re: distance sailing [Re: waterbug_wpb] #71423
04/06/06 05:20 AM
04/06/06 05:20 AM
The Netherlands
Kennethsf Offline
Kennethsf  Offline

The Netherlands
I have to agree that we're all xenophobic to a certain extent; didn't your mother tell you not to talk to strangers (your earliest lesson that "unknown" = "fear")

Those who are lazy enough to be "fed" knowledge by the media rather than seeking "fair and balanced" information on their own are destined to stereotype others.

Are all Arabs terrorist zealots? About as much as all Americans are skinhead racists, or all French people are as snobbish as the Parisians, or all illegal immigrants in the USA are hispanic. I could go on...

But Stereotyping is FUN. Not to mention easier than actually creating your own opinion.

I mean, where would we be without the term "redneck"? Would we all be driving cars with low clearance and no place to hold large quantities of firearms? Would there be no such thing as "manufactured housing"? Or "Milwaulkee's Best" beer in aluminum cans?

Or what about "pimp"? Without them, men would not be allowed to wear fur coats or gold chains. And Cadillac would probably have gone out of business. And pants would actually fit. And prison outfits would be worn by...well, prisoners.

There seems to be a fringe element in all social, ethnic, and societal groups, and it is they who garner the most media coverage (a building NOT on fire is hardly newsworthy). I would venture a guess that the SILENT majority (rational, wise, or whatever you'd call them) would view these stereotypes with the grain of salt that they require.

Ohh oke, so I do not have to explain that we are not all wearing wooden shoes here in the Netherland. At least not during sailing that is.....

Edit: I can only speak for myself, I do not know if Wouter does use them...

Wouter,

Since you are the most active [and famous] user from our beautiful country on the forum here, I tought I picked you as an example, I'm sure you can appriciate....:)

I fully agree with the original postings & comments: let's just have fun about each other differences. When I'm not sailing I work with Americans and a lot of other people around Europe. It is the #1 joking subject at the office here. I must admitt that I'm one of the most active in making and having fun about Dutch compered to the "others" [Since I'm from English/Dutch decent I can make fun about both]

Re: distance sailing [Re: Zee] #71424
04/06/06 05:41 AM
04/06/06 05:41 AM
The Netherlands
Kennethsf Offline
Kennethsf  Offline

The Netherlands

Not when people die because of it.
I get yelled at and treated like an animal every time I have to go to the States for treatment. They always make me wait a min of 4 hours at the airport for "random" checks. Even though I am always the only one to end up in these checks. Oh does the fact that Im Arab have something to do with these checks?

Honestly I dont blame them but please have the decency to understand that a 20 yr old girl is not the person who is blowing up cars and busses. So dont take ur anger out on me

following my prevouis posting:

as said I work for an [well known] American company- I have to wait/get picked as well entering the US [I'm a ,fine?, example of a typical Dutch- blond hair/ pinky skin /1,86 mtr =+/-5 ft & slightly overweight ..... I'm quite sure for you it is even worse getting into the US-..bummer.. do not get upset over it, it is nothing personal. I'm sure it will eas out over time..

In the mean time let at least try to make fun about it without picking a fight.

He, look at Wouter [sorry, I could not resist..] He is picking fights with almost everybody without looking were there from/how they look. He just looks if they sail F16 or not... You see there is awalys a reason to either pick a fight or laugh about it.. I'm sure Wouter is trying to keep it humoures as well.

I personly pick fights with everybody who is in front of me in the field...

greetings from the Netherlands=>

the country below sealevel, filled with tulips/windmills/goverment growned drugs/ VAT paying hookers/17 milj people from 200+ countries who are all protestants/reformed/muslims/catholics etc etc and luckely enough... CAT's

Last edited by Kennethsf; 04/06/06 05:47 AM.
Re: distance sailing [Re: Kennethsf] #71425
04/06/06 06:50 AM
04/06/06 06:50 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

No worries mate.

I'm not over sensitive.

I can appreciate it.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: distance sailing [Re: Kennethsf] #71426
04/06/06 07:02 AM
04/06/06 07:02 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

He just looks if they sail F16 or not...

Hey ! that is not true. I seem to remember advicing an M4.3 to someone lately and giving in dept describtions of various A-cats to anothers. Hell, I'm working my way through 50 pictures of A-cats that were at the Gulport regatta in order to publish them on the internet. To the enjoyment of all.

I will pick a fight with silly claims and some classes seem to put of those out then others, but you won't see me give unfounded statements or blindly force everybody to F16's. I've pointed my fair share of crews to other designs, as in when their personal circumstances favoured a different design. Latest example Mystere 4.3

You guys have to give me more credit.

Wouter

Am I know picking a fight with you ? Ohh dear I am bad !

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: distance sailing [Re: Wouter] #71427
04/06/06 08:23 AM
04/06/06 08:23 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
You Dutch guys like, walk around naked all the time.... don't ya? :P

Re: distance sailing [Re: MauganN20] #71428
04/06/06 08:29 AM
04/06/06 08:29 AM
The Netherlands
Kennethsf Offline
Kennethsf  Offline

The Netherlands

Yep, that's what we like....

BTW that remark could only come from an American....

The problem is only the guys like to do that....

Another problem is the rash from the anti-slip when sailing naked..

....and I was wondering why I was stopped/picked at the custums in the US????

Last edited by Kennethsf; 04/06/06 08:38 AM.
Re: distance sailing [Re: Kennethsf] #71429
04/06/06 08:53 AM
04/06/06 08:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ah, the Dutch. Did you guys qualify for the World Cup this year?

Don't you ? [Re: MauganN20] #71430
04/06/06 11:56 AM
04/06/06 11:56 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Don't you ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Don't you ? [Re: Wouter] #71431
04/06/06 12:42 PM
04/06/06 12:42 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Nope, us rednecks would lose that "signature tan" of ours.

I mean, what woman WOULD NOT find a guy with a big, fat, pink, hairy belly and Dark red arms and neck sexy? Oh yeah, don't forget the "man boobs"

[Linked Image]

Drunk rednecks with guns. WHAT could possibly be more sexy?

Proof that Darwin was wrong...

Jay

Re: Don't you ? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #71432
04/06/06 12:55 PM
04/06/06 12:55 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Nope, us rednecks would lose that "signature tan" of ours.

I mean, what woman WOULD NOT find a guy with a big, fat, pink, hairy belly and Dark red arms and neck sexy? Oh yeah, don't forget the "man boobs"

[Linked Image]

Drunk rednecks with guns. WHAT could possibly be more sexy?

Proof that Darwin was wrong...

That's me in the middle. Not!

Re: Don't you ? [Re: fin.] #71433
04/06/06 01:17 PM
04/06/06 01:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pete:

You the one kneeling or standing? (LOL LOL LOL GRIN)

Doug

Re: Don't you ? [Re: ] #71434
04/06/06 01:20 PM
04/06/06 01:20 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Pete,
If you are the one in the middle...you need a bigger boat.

Re: Don't you ? [Re: SunnyZ] #71435
04/06/06 01:23 PM
04/06/06 01:23 PM
F
fin. Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
F

Pete,
If you are the one in the middle...you need a bigger boat.

LOL!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 551 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022