05/24/02 11:26 PM
05/24/02 11:26 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline OP
addict
Seeker  Offline OP
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Hi everyone…just wanted to share a few photos of my F16HP project under construction. Yes it is real…LOL…You have to wonder some times here on the internet if something is real or the figment of the writers imagination…LOL…look I have the pictures to prove it’s real…LOL

It is Not earth shaking…not what I would call revolutionary…just taking some good basic design information, adding to or taking things away from current designs to satisfy my common sense approach…taking what I perceive to be the best features of each of the boats out there and combining them into one… tempering it with the valuable input of several seasoned sailor and fellow builders. I do not claim that it will “smoke” the competition, or please anyone else’s idea of what the perfect F16HP should be like…it just has to please me in the conditions I like to sail. I love to experiment…and accept the risk involved….

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way…LOL

Sorry that the pictures do not give a better idea of what is going on…I am working in a very cramped space at this time, and I can’t get the camera angles that would really show you what it looks like…but here is what I have…

Top photo is of hull number one (of two of course) “cooking” the keel tapes in the hot Florida sun. Those who have built with the tortured ply building method will be able to detect that the hull has a reverse sheer even at this stage, along with substantial freeboard (I sail out an inlet that has tides running 6+ MPH…when the tide is changing the water almost “percolates” making low beams a significant disadvantage. I sail mainly in the Atlantic Ocean or the Indian River/Intercoastal waterway, which has significant chop. This is why I wanted a higher clearance under the beams.)

Middle photo is shot from the Starboard side behind the transom with the hull in the deck jig. Again you can get a hint of the hog sheer line but it is partially hidden from view by a ¾” X 1-3/4” temporary strip that evens out the sheer and allows the hull near deck level to be pulled toward the center line to create a noticeable tumble home.

The bottom photo also show the hull in the deck jig, but this time it is shot from above forward of the bow looking aft. Temporary bulkheads of ¾” plywood are in place while the hull dried, and also acted as router templates for the finished bulkheads. (As this is a one of a kind hull it is imperative to have templates to reproduce it accurately. I may need them to either build another hull, if one is damaged beyond repair, or to build another complete boat for my son, or more than likely to use it as a reference point for future modifications to evolve the design.) Note the temporary strip holding the sheer in place with cross braces located at every bulkhead.

Since these pictures were taken I have made a little more progress…Finished bulkheads have all been cut out and fitted, both foam and plywood…and the dagerboard cases are about a little over half finished. I wish I had more time to spend on building it, but life is a balance and building a catamaran is not a life and death priority…even though it seems that way at times...:)

Thanks for letting me share this with you…it makes the project that much more enjoyable.

Peace

Last edited by Seeker; 05/24/02 11:27 PM.
--Advertisement--
Let me try this again [Re: Seeker] #7290
05/25/02 12:13 AM
05/25/02 12:13 AM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline OP
addict
Seeker  Offline OP
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA

Attached Files
7210-F16 HP Photos.jpg (119 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 427 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022