Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: H17cat] #73044
04/21/06 01:58 PM
04/21/06 01:58 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
My friends that have visited Costa Rica have also said it was very nice. My only concern would be to make sure you could pack enough ammo.

LOL, and post a sign on your back reading 'no body cares about me and a ransom will not be paid'

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: SunnyZ] #73045
04/21/06 02:09 PM
04/21/06 02:09 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Maugan,
I was hoping you were joking about the donut. The nurse in me was going to have to come snatch it from you.

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: SunnyZ] #73046
04/21/06 02:19 PM
04/21/06 02:19 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Better a little high than too low during the tybee

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: SunnyZ] #73047
04/21/06 02:23 PM
04/21/06 02:23 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Just kidding. BTW, Thank you for your service in New Orleans. My Neighbor, also RN, was there with a NW Medical Team, only to arrive and be in the second hurricane. A month later she was off to India on a scheduled trip with the team. This week she just got back from a month in Uganda. People like she, and you make this a better world, and give us all hope.

Caleb

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: MauganN20] #73048
04/21/06 02:57 PM
04/21/06 02:57 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Ha, ha, ha you're the man Maugan !

You are soooooooo funny !

I can help myself, I never knew real humour before you came along. Great man ! love it !

Come give us some more gems, PLEAAAAAASE !

... vvouter ...

Thought that one up all by yourself ? Two V's instead of one W, that just masterly. I really mean that. Subtle but yet extremely funny. I bet you make your family wet themselfs all the time. You should give courses man.

... my little SUV ...

Wonk wonk ! Got it, got it ?

LITTLE SUV ?

You are a bloody genius Maugan.

... Break me like a twig ...

Suuuure !!!! Wink wink, heh heh !

You crack me up. Are you thinking about composing a little booklet with the better ones ! Would be a best seller overnight. You should, honestly, no I really mean it. I'm not being sarcastic, you are the next Pauly Shore. And you got the physique to match.

Got to sign off now, my jaws are hurting. Later !

vvouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: H17cat] #73049
04/21/06 03:15 PM
04/21/06 03:15 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Just kidding. BTW, Thank you for your service in New Orleans. My Neighbor, also RN, was there with a NW Medical Team, only to arrive and be in the second hurricane. A month later she was off to India on a scheduled trip with the team. This week she just got back from a month in Uganda. People like she, and you make this a better world, and give us all hope.

Caleb

Thanks,
I know your neighbor must have told you how surreal it all was. I actually went alone. I hopped a flight with a pilot I was dating at the time. He was taking some business men down to survey the damage to their investments. I just sort of jumped out at the airport and said 'can you use a nurse?' (I had called the Red Cross to see if I could practice with a South Carolina license before I went.)
I was there three weeks after the hurricane and it was as if it had happened yesterday. Other than the human suffering of course, the thing that was hardest for me was the callous attitude of the men I flew with. They thought I was foolish to dirty my hands caring for 'those people' who did not leave when they should have. I was furious with them. I felt ridiculed. I would have much rather traveled with other nurses.

So much for the dating that guy.

Re: Hijacking to politics [Re: SunnyZ] #73050
04/21/06 08:45 PM
04/21/06 08:45 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
There is no way to know if moving to the third world would actually help. The true question was about willingness to move. The (cultural) capacity to accept radical changes in one's way of life is the key point. In the past US people were very fast adapting to changes, but people change.

Luiz
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: SunnyZ] #73051
04/21/06 09:23 PM
04/21/06 09:23 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Other than the human suffering of course, the thing that was hardest for me was the callous attitude of the men I flew with. They thought I was foolish to dirty my hands caring for 'those people' who did not leave when they should have. I was furious with them. I felt ridiculed. I would have much rather traveled with other nurses.

So much for the dating that guy.
Some people have no clue. You stepped up and helped those that couldn't help themselves.

As for the guy you were dating, you were lucky to find out what he was really like early on.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: MauganN20] #73052
04/22/06 03:59 AM
04/22/06 03:59 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought the donut line would have given you a clue, I guess not.)

Tad, if it makes you feel any better, I am addicted to doughnuts. Even though I do not have diabetes (yet), I restrict myself to one or two doughnut attacks a year. Every time we drive by a Dunkin' Donuts or a Krispy Kreme place, I scream, "Stop, Stop," but Rick never listens to me, thank goodness.

Soon I am going to be driving north from Florida to Ohio by myself, so I am afraid that I might succumb to buying doughnuts wherever I find them along the way. So, what do you suggest, Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme?

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: MauganN20] #73053
04/22/06 09:37 AM
04/22/06 09:37 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
(and for anyone that thinks that I write in anything other than a sarcastic tone when dealing with anything other than sailing (and sometimes even when talking about sailing, especially if vvouter is involved) should know that I'm hardly ever serious about these kinds of things. I thought the donut line would have given you a clue, I guess not.)

(but I do love my little SUV)

My God, man. There are things you can joke about and be sarcastic with. But Donuts? I'm shaking my head. Nobody, but nobody, should ever make sarcastic remarks involving donuts! I mean, is nothing sacred anymore? What kind of times do we live in when people can mock the wholesome goodness of the donut? To people on this thread who have mentioned that war is or is not the answer to anything I can only say this - war is absolutely justified if our donuts are being threatened. So back off on the donuts!

By the way, I believe I would also love your little SUV, if only it had seat covers made of baby seal skins.

In Glaze We Trust,
Keith
Minister, Our Lady of the Eternal Boston Creme

Last edited by Keith; 04/22/06 09:40 AM.
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Keith] #73054
04/22/06 10:30 AM
04/22/06 10:30 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
(and for anyone that thinks that I write in anything other than a sarcastic tone when dealing with anything other than sailing (and sometimes even when talking about sailing, especially if vvouter is involved) should know that I'm hardly ever serious about these kinds of things. I thought the donut line would have given you a clue, I guess not.)

(but I do love my little SUV)

My God, man. There are things you can joke about and be sarcastic with. But Donuts? I'm shaking my head. Nobody, but nobody, should ever make sarcastic remarks involving donuts! I mean, is nothing sacred anymore? What kind of times do we live in when people can mock the wholesome goodness of the donut? To people on this thread who have mentioned that war is or is not the answer to anything I can only say this - war is absolutely justified if our donuts are being threatened. So back off on the donuts!

By the way, I believe I would also love your little SUV, if only it had seat covers made of baby seal skins.

In Glaze We Trust,
Keith
Minister, Our Lady of the Eternal Boston Creme

Now THAT was proper useage of pastry humor.

Jake Kohl
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Jake] #73055
04/22/06 01:30 PM
04/22/06 01:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mary:

Krispy Kreme all the way!!! They have stopped making thme here in the Houston area. I am so MAD !!!!

Doug

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: ] #73056
04/22/06 02:26 PM
04/22/06 02:26 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jim Young is an Olympic-level coach, and he was guest expert at one of our race-training seminars.

On the first day of the seminar, the breakfast was laid out with eggs, sausage, potatoes and doughnuts/pastries, cereals, etc.

Everybody was going for the eggs and sausage, lots of protein. Jim told me that actually they should have eaten the doughnuts and pastries, potatoes and cereal, lots of carbs and sugar, to get them through their arduous day on the water.

I have been in love with Jim Young ever since .

(Disclaimer: That does not mean he would recommend a diet of doughnuts to Olympic-level sailors. It was just an isolated situation -- but we doughnut lovers latch onto any encouragement we can find.)

Last edited by Mary; 04/22/06 02:31 PM.
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Mary] #73057
04/22/06 02:49 PM
04/22/06 02:49 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jim told me that actually they should have eaten the doughnuts and pastries, potatoes and cereal, lots of carbs and sugar, to get them through their arduous day on the water.
Complex carbs before, protein after.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Mary] #73058
04/22/06 02:54 PM
04/22/06 02:54 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
mmmm . . . doughnuts . . .
[Linked Image]

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: hobie1616] #73059
04/22/06 03:45 PM
04/22/06 03:45 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Complex carbs before, protein after.

I'm not taking any advice from a one-eyed frog. You must be some kind of health nut, which would explain your green skin color! Complex carbohydrates are fruits and vegetables.

I'm talking about simple carbohydrates and sugar, e.g., doughnuts!

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Mary] #73060
04/22/06 03:46 PM
04/22/06 03:46 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
(Disclaimer: That does not mean he would recommend a diet of doughnuts to Olympic-level sailors. It was just an isolated situation -- but we doughnut lovers latch onto any encouragement we can find.)

There's probably a few of us that remember watching the original Saturday Night Live when it originally aired...

Remember the ad parody where John Belushi was training for the Olympics decathalon? The shots of him trying the various events were funny enough, but then he reveals his training secret - Little Chocolate Covered Doughnuts! Truly an Olympic moment...

Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: Mary] #73061
04/22/06 05:13 PM
04/22/06 05:13 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not taking any advice from a one-eyed frog. You must be some kind of health nut, which would explain your green skin color! Complex carbohydrates are fruits and vegetables.
Mary Mary Mary, why do you abuse a poor one-eyed creature? Is it because I asked how many pedestrians and bicyclists you’d snagged with your Wave hanging off the trailer?

The creature you deride as a one-eyed frog is, in fact, a long time employee of Monsters Inc. The next time you hear moaning coming from your closet or scratching noises from under the bed, you may be getting a visit from one of their dedicated staff. Of course, it could be Rick looking for his trapeze harness so he can go for a midnight sail.

As for the carbs, I do a lot of distance bicycling. Nutrition is an important part of riding as the glucose stores get used up fast. Good pre-ride, ride and post-ride carb and protein intake is important. Otherwise you’ll be hit with the dreaded bonk.

Complex carb up pre physical activity. That fuels up the tank. KKDs will work but they're empty carbs.

During the activity, take in enough carbs so the tank doesn’t run empty causing you to bonk. Electrolytes and sodium are also important. The easiest way to keep carbs, electrolytes and sodium levels up is drink a sports drink like Gatorade. I prefer Cytomax. Hydration is also important. That will be part of the sports drink. I’ve see racers pound down a can of Coke while riding. That provides carbs and caffeine to stimulate muscles.

Take in carbs and protein post activity. The protein will stave off the loss of muscle mass.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Now That Global Warming is Considered Real... [Re: hobie1616] #73062
04/24/06 09:07 PM
04/24/06 09:07 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
I was going to comment about Golbal Warming, but I'm resisting,

I'm responding well to treatment.......

But really, NO S--T! The earth is warming??

I guess I'll have to pay more attention.

Now where is that doc's phone number.

Have Fun
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022