Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Poor Guy [Re: Jake] #73137
04/22/06 05:51 PM
04/22/06 05:51 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Here's the original before Dan unleashed his photoshop on it....actually, this one must have been in a series just before the one dan used.

[Linked Image]
Jake,
If the picture Dan used comes after this one, that means the guy stayed on the boat through the submarine impression he is doing here. How did he do that?

Did you ever see David Letterman do the velcro suit skit? I don't even think that would have worked.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Poor Guy [Re: SunnyZ] #73138
04/22/06 11:41 PM
04/22/06 11:41 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Here's the original before Dan unleashed his photoshop on it....actually, this one must have been in a series just before the one dan used.

[Linked Image]
Jake,
If the picture Dan used comes after this one, that means the guy stayed on the boat through the submarine impression he is doing here. How did he do that?

Did you ever see David Letterman do the velcro suit skit? I don't even think that would have worked.

I can only imagine...that's one hell-of-a wave - but it's amazing what adrenaline can do. There were what? 11 teams that tried to launch that day and only 2 made it through those waves. There was a sandbar located a little further out that presented a second break to get through too.

Jake Kohl
Re: Poor Guy [Re: Jake] #73139
04/23/06 09:32 AM
04/23/06 09:32 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
That last sandbar was a third break, and what wiped out our team. As near as we could reconstruct, the breaking wave went through the tramp, ripping it off. It took a loooong time for our boat and sailors to get back to shore, and we worked well into the night rebuilding a boat.

As far as "sticking" to the tramp in that picture, keep in mind that they're pulling more than 1 gee as the boat is climbing through the wave, and the front beam is deflecting much of the force that would sweep the deck. That feeling is one I call "elevator UP!"

I'm glad nobody was hurt that morning - oh, and four boats, I think, made it out. The Canadian team subsequently wiped out in the re-entry at Cocoa and had to rebuild a boat with the rest of us... and it seems like one team dropped out somewhere in between checkpoints...

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Poor Guy [Re: John Williams] #73140
04/23/06 09:57 AM
04/23/06 09:57 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Here is the report from the Race Director, May 8, 2001:
"5 boats successfully made it through the surf line at start -- Alexander on the Bay, Guidant, Outer Banks, Dinghy Shop, and Fully Involved.

"The Race Director halted the launch after numerous boats were destroyed in the surf. The remainder of the boats will be trailered to Cocoa Beach, FL checkpoint, and the race will continue with proper recogniton for the 5 teams that successfully launched this morning."

Re: Poor Guy [Re: Mary] #73141
04/23/06 11:13 AM
04/23/06 11:13 AM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline OP
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline OP
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
[Linked Image]

This is the orginal. It was taken, from the sky, just before they were going over backwards in the surf. I saw a different picture and thought I would share that with you.

Later,
Dan

Re: Poor Guy [Re: John Williams] #73142
04/23/06 11:47 AM
04/23/06 11:47 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
That last sandbar was a third break, and what wiped out our team. As near as we could reconstruct, the breaking wave went through the tramp, ripping it off. It took a loooong time for our boat and sailors to get back to shore, and we worked well into the night rebuilding a boat.

As far as "sticking" to the tramp in that picture, keep in mind that they're pulling more than 1 gee as the boat is climbing through the wave, and the front beam is deflecting much of the force that would sweep the deck. That feeling is one I call "elevator UP!"

I'm glad nobody was hurt that morning - oh, and four boats, I think, made it out. The Canadian team subsequently wiped out in the re-entry at Cocoa and had to rebuild a boat with the rest of us... and it seems like one team dropped out somewhere in between checkpoints...

Goosebumps and cold shivers.....

Jake Kohl
Re: Poor Guy [Re: Jake] #73143
04/23/06 09:00 PM
04/23/06 09:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha ha, that's freakin hillarious! Walt took hat picture overhead in Cocoa Beach the day after we put the boat back together after we lost it in Jensen in '01. The waves weren't bad in Cocoa, but as we went out I looked up and this nasty face was comin right for us! I grabbed around the front crossbar and held on for life. Unfortunately, Jay was swept off of the back by the wave and had to body surf in. Luckily, the mast didn't go bang like it did in Jensen, and with the help of the other teams ground crews we made repairs (only a few broken battens) and went back out. They took video of it too from the chopper. There we were just cruising along in the shot and the next second it was all over. Good times indeed.

Re: Poor Guy [Re: ] #73144
04/23/06 09:18 PM
04/23/06 09:18 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
So, you're the poor guy... Nice ride. I can't believe you stuck on the boat. You're like spiderman or something.

In the second pic that Jake posted, are those your legs sticking out of the surf to the right? Or maybe that is Jay making his exit?

Re: Poor Guy [Re: SunnyZ] #73145
04/23/06 09:26 PM
04/23/06 09:26 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
JC is just a --Freak of Nature.

Re: Poor Guy [Re: SunnyZ] #73146
04/24/06 12:46 PM
04/24/06 12:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Sunny,
Yep those are my legs. As I grabbed the crossbar, in an effort to keep as much weight forward as possible I brought my feet in front of the daggerboard wells. Too bad Jay didn't make it in the picture. He's kinda shy, oh and he was a few feet under whiteout. In one of the shots in she sequence you can see something that resembles his feet, but that's about it.

Re: Poor Guy [Re: ] #73147
04/24/06 01:07 PM
04/24/06 01:07 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Hey Sunny,
Yep those are my legs. As I grabbed the crossbar, in an effort to keep as much weight forward as possible I brought my feet in front of the daggerboard wells. Too bad Jay didn't make it in the picture. He's kinda shy, oh and he was a few feet under whiteout. In one of the shots in she sequence you can see something that resembles his feet, but that's about it.

That's great! I am impressed that you could think 'keep weight forward, hang onto the crossbar and throw my feet in front of the daggerboard' I would be thinking 'me gonna die'
LOL.

Just kidding (I hope) Time and experience will tell.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022