04/23/06 07:37 PM
04/23/06 07:37 PM
Arkansas, USA
C
CaptainKirt Offline OP
CaptainKirt  Offline OP
C

Arkansas, USA
Okay guys- I know I should know this by now, but I only have one sail with a rope luff and it's the only one I have to use a halyard on and I haven't used that mast/sail in ~ 2 years. I know in the past I have had "issues" with getting the AHPC ring to "catch" if I tie the halyard a certain (wrong obviously ) way.
Can someone tell/show me the "correct" way to do it?

Thanks guys!

Kirt

Kirt Simmons
Taipan, Flyer
--Advertisement--
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: CaptainKirt] #73283
04/23/06 09:43 PM
04/23/06 09:43 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

I don't really know but through the power of google I bring you this from the hobie web pages.
Also, be sure that the knot tied to the ring is very low profile. A long bowline knot will hit the mast head before the ring gets to the hook. If the ring has a small loop at the top... The line should be passed through the loop and a small knot tied. The knot (when ring and shackle are afixed to the sail) should be facing the mast. This tilts the ring closer to the mast. Then (before attaching halyard shackle to the sail) spin the haylard 3 or 4 times clockwise (looking down on the shackle). This "pre-loads" the halyard line and causes the ring to swing back towards the hook. Keep the boat into the wind and hoist. Should lock easily. To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... rotate the aft of the mast base to starboard, hold the mast rotated, ease the halyard a few feet before releasing the mast. Lower the sail.

The buntline hitch is a small effective knot but you may not like it here because it doesn't like to be untied. If you were wanting to leave the ring on the halyard it would be worth a try.
[Linked Image]

And I found this, something called a topsail sheetbend, which would probably work if you have the two loop ring.
[Linked Image]

Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: CaptainKirt] #73284
04/24/06 03:57 AM
04/24/06 03:57 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

My preferred method

-1- Tie a figure 8 knot on the very end of your halyard.
-2- Grab the halyard ring and loop the halyard through it
-3- Bend the halyard around the part that is vertical and that is just before loop around the ring.
-4- Put the end with the figure 8 knot under itself; the part that is between ring and the bend around the halyard.
-5- Tidy the knot up by sliding all excess line out of the knot so that the figure 8 knot sits next to the halyard itself. So that is actually rests on the halyard itself

In fact this knot is very close to a simple hitch. The working core is the figure 8 knot. This prevents the hitch from becoming undone under tension. This knot is very small and easy to undo even after it has been under alot of tension.

NOTE !!

Make sure that the side the figure 8 knot is on (pointing to) is NOT the side on which the halyard is passing the hook up the mast. If this is the case that the knot will prevent the hook from engaging easily. So if the halyard runs past the hook on the left then have the figure 8 knot point to the right. In this case everything should be rather easy.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: Wouter] #73285
04/24/06 08:41 PM
04/24/06 08:41 PM
Arkansas, USA
C
CaptainKirt Offline OP
CaptainKirt  Offline OP
C

Arkansas, USA
Wouter-
Thanks for the information! One question- does the halyard (I assume) pass in front (ie, on the mast side) of the top of the ring? I presume if it passed to the aft it would be almost impossible to pull it past the hook or to get it unhooked?

Thanks!

Kirt

Kirt Simmons
Taipan, Flyer
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: CaptainKirt] #73286
04/24/06 09:00 PM
04/24/06 09:00 PM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
Forward of the ring. The only way to unhook it is turn the boat over and manually unhook it. Did it in Gulfport this year . It must exert toom uch pressure against the mast for it to unhook. PIA.

Tom
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: CaptainKirt] #73287
04/24/06 09:41 PM
04/24/06 09:41 PM
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

I think you need to think of the ring as being oriented fore and aft. IE the knot will either be on the port or starboard side of the luff groove. That is because the hook is to the side of the groove. With that in mind, the knot needs to be on the side opposite of the hook.
I just realized that I don't know what I'm talking about. Most of my experience has been on a N5.2 and I'm still waiting for my Blade. So don't pay me any mind. What I will do when I get my new rig is lay it over like Tom had to and work the hook and unhook thing so I better understand how it works.

Tom, did you grab the mast rotator and rotate the mast for all you were worth before trying to unhook the main?

Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: bobcat] #73288
04/24/06 09:55 PM
04/24/06 09:55 PM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
Yep. Chuck H pulled/twisted, Matt M pulled/twisted, I pulled/twisted. It was not happening - it also looked like the ring got high enough to "jump" out of the top of the sailtrack and made pulling on the halyard a lot tougher, as well. Complete fubar.

Funny thing about that episode....It was the last day of the series and in the last race I was over the starting line early (returned to clear), then had a minor rudder issue and went back to the beach (and got a DNF) - I dropped out because I was thinking that I could be first off the beach for my 8 hour drive home. This problem made me LAST off the beach, LAST on the trailer and practically LAST out of the parking lot. The sailing gods beat me to death about quitting that race!! Never happen again.

Since then I've put the sail up 7 or 8 times to get it all figured out and I THINK the line is forward of the ring (my pin goes from starboard to port). I figured that if the line was behind the hook it was exerting pressure on the ring as the halyard went through he top pully on the mast and basically prevented it from sliding back over the hook - no matter what.

I'll double check next time.

Be wary of the sailng gods.

Tom
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: tshan] #73289
04/27/06 12:42 AM
04/27/06 12:42 AM
Arkansas, USA
C
CaptainKirt Offline OP
CaptainKirt  Offline OP
C

Arkansas, USA
Tom-
Yeah, that was similar to my experience- I couldn't get the darn thing to catch and then I couldn't get it to unlatch!! Had to lay the boat over too Then someone (here?) told me how I SHOULD do it and it worked fine. Give me my "pushup" luff anytime!

Thanks!
Kirt

Kirt Simmons
Taipan, Flyer
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: Wouter] #73290
04/27/06 01:48 PM
04/27/06 01:48 PM
Netherlands
Marc Woudenberg Offline
Marc Woudenberg  Offline

Netherlands
I guess it would look like this one.

Attached Files
Last edited by Marc_Woudenberg; 04/27/06 02:03 PM.

Marc Woudenberg
T49/F16 Ned302
New Rules summary picture, to MARK W. [Re: Marc Woudenberg] #73291
05/01/06 08:08 AM
05/01/06 08:08 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Mark,

About 2.5 years ago you made for us a picture showing a summary of the F16 class rules. Since then a few things have changed so are you willing to make an updated version of this picture :

http://www.geocities.com/f16hpclass/F16_boxrule_quick_reference_sketch.jpg

Thanks,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: New Rules summary picture, to MARK W. [Re: Wouter] #73292
05/01/06 12:45 PM
05/01/06 12:45 PM
Netherlands
Marc Woudenberg Offline
Marc Woudenberg  Offline

Netherlands
Sure, provided I can trace back the original drawing. I believe I did it as a DWG at the time. Just indicate what you want to have changed.

Marc Woudenberg
T49/F16 Ned302
Re: Taipan rope halyard- How to tie knot? [Re: CaptainKirt] #73293
05/22/06 02:52 AM
05/22/06 02:52 AM
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Lester Offline
stranger
Lester  Offline
stranger

Bay of Islands, New Zealand
I tied the haliad to the shackle top on the outside of the ring. This takes the knot away from the ring ensuring no interferance and being on the outside of the ring as it is pulled up the ring is forced onto the hook.
To release just release any tension and fully rotate mast while pulling sail down to disengage hook.
Works easily for me.
Cheers

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022