07/21/07 09:09 PM
07/21/07 09:09 PM
Sydney Australia
Berny Offline
addict
Berny  Offline
addict

Sydney Australia
Drill it out and epoxy a small dia. tube in there. Alum. or fiberglass [tent pole] works. Rough up the outside of the tube to aid adhesion.

Berny

--Advertisement--
Re: Quick rigging and derigging a spinnaker (a method) [Re: warbird] #79632
07/22/07 06:55 PM
07/22/07 06:55 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

If you are talking about the white hull then that is not my boat. My hulls are yellow.

I now use a different setup but I used the other system for about 2 years and it never failed on me.

But then again I'm not using any hyper modern super slick and expensive lines on these uses. These are just the wrong lines for these usage. I just have plain racing dyneema there and make sure the knot is well done.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Quick rigging and derigging a spinnaker (a method) [Re: Wouter] #79633
07/22/07 10:30 PM
07/22/07 10:30 PM
Bay of Islands, NZ
W
warbird Offline
old hand
warbird  Offline
old hand
W

Bay of Islands, NZ
Thanks Wout. I thought you had a grey boat with a black flash along the side.....go figure.

Attached Files
113679-main-2.php.jpg (306 downloads)
Re: Quick rigging and derigging a spinnaker (a method) [Re: Wouter] #79634
07/23/07 02:03 PM
07/23/07 02:03 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
Some things I do on the Tornado:

1. Run the halyard prior to raising the mast...tie off at base and then run it to the sail after mast is up.

2. Leave the spin tack line completely in place. There is enough slack and play in the tack slack sucker bungee to lay the spin pole/snuffer backwards on top of the tramp for trailering.

3. Mid-pole stays are attached to "D" shackles at the bridle tangs. The shackle pins are used instead of a separate ring-pin to also hold the bridle forks to the bow tang. The "D" shackle makes a nice place to tie off the mid-pole stays. The stays are left attached to the shackles once removed from the tangs. The pole end of each stay is just an eye splice "luggage-tagged" around the pole. The stays are 3mm Vectran which is very easy to eye-splice. The gunwale ends get 1/8" stainless sailmaker thimbles on the inside of another eyesplice. The thimble then goes on the shackle. This prevents chafing.

4. The Pole end stays are similar. Big Eye splices looped over the pole end. I left plenty of extra tails & made the splices 2 or 3 times the pole diameter to allow forquick length/tension changes. The bow tips on my boat have stainless eye-bolts embedded in epoxy. I just luggage tag the eye-spliced end of each stay through the eye-bolt. This is super easy to remove after slipping the pole ends off.

5. Once all stays and forestay post is off the pole, I disconnect the pin at the main beam, lift the pole up and fold it back onto the tramp. Bungees are used to hold it down. Sheets, halyard (once off the mast) are stuffed into the aft end of the snuffer bag. Sail remains in the snuffer.

I also have a snuffer cover I will put on prior to folding the pole back.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: Quick rigging and derigging a spinnaker (a method) [Re: Tornado] #79635
07/26/07 09:31 PM
07/26/07 09:31 PM
Orange County, CA, USA
JJD Offline
journeyman
JJD  Offline
journeyman

Orange County, CA, USA
Being basically old, slow, and lazy, I've been leaving the spin in the snuffer, halyard attached to the mast and run through the back of the snuffer and spin. Fore bridle is permanently left tied to the pole and hulls. Mid pole bridles have sister clips at the end and on the forestay bridle. I just pull the pin at the pelican striker, the one at the butt of the pole fitting at the main beam and slide the pole aft to the dolphin striker where I lash the snuffer ring to the strap after putting a small towel under the ring. In back, I just put a bit of line through the pin holes at the aft end of the spin pole and tie it off to a strap on the rear beam.
I raise and lower the mast with boat on trailer then take boat off trailer before rigging the spin pole.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022